Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Thursday, December 08, 2011

Back to Sky Watch McNeill Bay

Remember me? I am back to sky watch with you.  This picture is of McNeill Bay, Victoria, B.C. Canada. McNeill Bay is a great place to sit and sky watch and see the storms come in. It is sometimes called Shoal Bay and they say that it is the place where Victoria came into existence. It is the birth place of Victoria however the local First Nations Lekwungen people had lived in summer camps nearby and harvested camas and Springbrook clover here probably for centuries. The steamship SS Beaver anchored at this beautiful bay on the afternoon of March 14, 1843 and the next morning James Douglas went ashore at Clover Point, over to the left. The bay is named after Captain William Henry McNeill, the Master of the Beaver, a Hudson's Bay Company steamer. I sometimes wonder what the area looked like then. Chief Factor Douglas wrote to a friend that there were tall grasses and ferns up over their heads as they walked near Clover Point. He then selected it as the site for Fort Victoria. Now it is a busy spot for boaters. The First Nations people called the area Camosack or "rush of water" possibly for the rip tide there. Captain McNeill went on to buy 200 acres of land and became one of Oak Bays five main landowners of the time.

Hello to my old blog friends and readers, please leave a comment for me.  I have just returned to blogging and everything has changed here.  New interface and new dashboard.  Very nice but a lot for me to learn. This post is for Sky Watch where you can find many more skies all around the world.
Here is the link to Sky Watch.




27 comments:

  1. A very warm welcome back to you. You really are making quite a splash with your re-entry. The clouds are like a huge breaking wave in your sky. with brightly blooming chars for contrast.

    Hope to see you post on OUR WORLD on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Welcome back!! And what a gorgeous capture for the day!! Incredibly beautiful skies and clouds and what a delightful looking place! I could surely spend some time there! Love the bright colored chairs and lovely view! Happy SWF! Have a great weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I DO remember you! Welcome back. This is a glorious photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely view! I have never been to Victoria, so this is nice to see to tempt me to get over there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great photo
    glad you're back in skywatch
    from one islander to another

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the chairs waiting to SkyWatch. It is a gorgeous bay. The sky is dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. incredbile scene you captured. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back... I hope everything is ok with you! Very nice composition and content in this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful sight to see...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful invitation. Thank you very much for sharing. Please have a good Friday.


    daily athens photo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty sky!

    Please come see my skywatch also. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful shot n great sky. Those clouds are truly amazing :)
    Nice place to sit and indulge in the view

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ocean.. and it's great to see you back in circulation.. and what a picture to come back with - it's a real beauty!! (thanks for the comment on my blog too.... )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back
    And what a fantastic view
    Really enjoy hearing the story behind the photos

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful shot with those colourful deck chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you're back! I've happily put you back on my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back, Island!
    What a pretty scene! You must have a very good wide-angle lens. I have been think (seriously) about getting one. I am stuck with the wrong lens when I confront scences like this, and it is high time that changed!

    Please drop me an e-mail if you can to gallicissa AT gmail DOT com. I need some tips.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such an invitational post! I love the welcoming chairs! such wonderful colours. Welcome back.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very bright, warm and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful shot! Visiting late today. Happy sky watching.

    Skywatch

    ReplyDelete
  21. trekking your amazing photos!!! thanks for sharing and keep posting!

    cheers!
    ...TREK...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for the fine welcome back with all those wonderful comments....I am so glad you remember me....I have a little trouble with my eyes...I am slowly working my way over to each of your blogs. I have been a reader of your blogs for the last two years so I feel we are old friends and now I am back to being a blogger with you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A really beautiful location. Love the clouds and blue sky. Happy Skywatch Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks so inviting! I just wanna be on one of those chairs out there-:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice post.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  26. thanks again...really appreciate all the fine blog comments.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS