Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Goldstream Park Fish Spawn

Today we are going to Goldstream Park to see the fish spawning.
This post is for Our World Tuesday. There are many more photos there.
Some of the trees there are over 600 years old.
Once again it is time for the miracle of the fish. In November and December they fight their way up the rivers to spawn and then die.  They provide wonderful fat filled food for the eagles and bears and all the gulls and clean up crew, to last them over the cold winter months.
They were predicting about 9,000 to l5,000 spawning chum to come up the river from the Saanich Inlet.  We did not see any chinook (springs) and very few coho were reported to come up.  As you can see the river was full of chum. The springs return sometime when they are three to five years old so perhaps there is still hope for them.  There was such an abundance of fish that they were competing for the gravel to make their nests on.  The river had been quite low as we had a dry April to October.
Goldstream Provincial Park is a lush green rain forest park of about 3.70 kilometers and has some easy trails and some more advanced up to Mount Finlayson. There was a small gold rush there in the 1860's hence the name.  The river flows from Butchart lake which is in the Greater Victoria watershed.  Hello to all the Our World participants.This post is for Klaus, I think he would like it. He was really kind to me.

Photo note: my photos are little soft today, trying a new resizer and need to sharpen next time.




9 comments:

  1. That mound is still a lot of fish which finished its role! Can people eat them too if they are just newly dead? That's the beauty of low human population, nature is very much preserved. If that happens here, its population is now dwindling and people without much to eat will compete with the vultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting to see the spawn. Just as well you weren't competing with the bears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - that must be some site to see! (I suspect it may also be a smell to smell!)

    Would love to see I river that full of fish one day.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating post! In dying helping so many other lives to survive. I'm enjoying my visits here.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen fish traveling upstream to spawn but I have never seen so many dead fish. I never knew eagles and bears depended on these for food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an excellent documentary of nature's life cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's an amazing process. We went out in our boat this week, but didn't do any fishing. Hello from across the Strait. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating, the life cycle of the salmon. I think the island is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and I've seen a fair bit of the world lately. To me, a displaced third-generation British Columbian, nothing beats driving the Malahat on a clear day. Well, okay, being the passenger beats driving!

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your kind comments on this blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS