Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Blue Sky Again

Back for Sky Watch Friday and follow into Weekend Reflections, two of the very popular themes for bloggers to play with. Have a look at some of the photos there.   I took these shots a few weeks ago when we noticed this popcorn cloud above Beacon Hill Park and the tall totem which is in the park facing the water.

This shot is from Anderson Hill just above Beacon Hill park.  Beacon Hill park is named for the two beacons which used to be placed there and if you could see through the triangle beacon then you were on Brochie Ledge and probably going to be in some kind of sinking trouble! You would be at risk of running up on the reef.




Beacon Hill was originally the burial site for the First Nations Coast Salish and a beautiful spot it was for them with a view of the Juan de Fuca Strait and the Olympic Mountains in Washington. This totem was the tallest in the world when it was made but now is the fourth tallest.  It is 38.8 metres tall and was carved by Mungo Martin, a Kwakwaka'wakw carver and erected in 1956.
Then we moved onto Fisherman's Wharf and I saw some reflections there. You can see portions of the inner harbour of Victoria B.C. on Vancouver Island here in the background.  It is a pretty harbour for the middle of a city to have. The Coast Salish, Songhees lived here originally and along the Gorge nearby there are shell middens dating back 4000 years.
These are the boat houses on the wharf.  People go there and have amazing fish and chips and feed herring to the seals. You can also go on whale watching trips, rent kayaks or board a pirate ship.  I go there and wander along the dock as usual.  Looking at boats.  The light is terrible there on the dock in the afternoon for shots as it goes into shade quickly.
It is a busy harbour as the sea planes and ferries are coming and going constantly.  There are small ferry boats to take you across to the other side and in summer there are many festivals going on all along the waterfront. The entire city dresses up in summer with gigantic flower baskets on every light stand and it is a tourist attraction for people to visit here.

Hope you enjoyed  a peek at the harbour and have a great weekend.  Thanks to all the bloggers for stopping by. I started blogging in 2006 and then I quit blogging for a long time and I removed most of this blog, so it is nice to start to build my readers again and to see some of the bloggers that I used to know return and pop in.

22 comments:

  1. I like the squiggly reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Island Rambles! Nice to see your part of the world again. I love the shots of the totem poles and the boats in the harbor. Thanks for stopping by to say high! Do you still call yourself "Ocean?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your captures and the visit to your lovely world! Such beautiful reflections and gorgeous skies! A lovely world you do have! Happy SWF! Have a great weekend!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruth and Sylvia, thanks for coming..and thanks so much for your comments.... Hi to
    Kathiesbirds..nice to see you again and yes many bloggers remember me as "Ocean" from years ago. Then some people know me as Island and then I have a few other names too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful colorful photos! Certainly perks up ones winter blues!Good post for SWF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your wonderful water shots and totems just blew me away. Before the fire took everything we had, we had a lovely thunderbird totem and a few Eskino carvings that they made for themselves to carry around , not to sell to tourists.
    Your photos are just superb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a colorful totem against the blue sky ! Your reflection pictures are also all very beautiful. Must be a very nice place !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, gorgeous and colorful photos. I love the totems. Looks like a beautiful day to be out and about. Thanks for sharing, happy SKYwatching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos. Love the reflections too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, my first to visit your blog and happy that I did, you have an interesting post and such an imposing totem pole shot,
    i think the sky was just clearly beautiful that day. ^0^

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love visiting Fisherman's Wharf and feeding the seals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice shots.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos! I visited Vancouver Island about 10 years, and it was so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the totem poles...so vibrant! I so appreciate all the history you give with your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Any photo with water gets my attention, but yours are so awesome! I love the indian carvings too! Wonderful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you tried to get as much of the totem into the shot in the first pic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so glad to see you back, I was sad to see you stop for the time you did not blog. I love your photos, the colours are awesome and sharp!
    I recognised the totem poles the minute the post opened up! Victoria is where I was born and raised and I love seeing photos of it now that I am living elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  18. the sails distorted by the ripples of the water is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You live in such a beautiful area!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful photos - thanks for sharing a part of your world I might never see otherwise! Loved the totems, but the reflections of the sailboats was enchanting! Great work - happy weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks so much for all these comments to encourage me!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS