Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Ladysmith

Today I am posting some reflections at Ladysmith for Weekend Reflections....you can see some nice shots from all over the world there. Also I will play SkyWatch Friday where you can see skies from all over the world.
We went to Ladysmith recently on a trip up island but it was already getting dark when I reached the docks so the light was bad for shots.  I did get some good reflections.  It was really dark so this is the best I could get.
Ladysmith was the home of the Chemainus First Nation for 5,000 years and they lived at many locations all along the shore of the harbour.
Changes came in 1884 when James Dunsmuir was given a railway grant and the local land was privatized.
Dunsmuir used Ladysmith harbour to house his coal miners and to ship his coal from.
He named Ladysmith after a town in South Africa. Pictures are clickable to get larger.
Since the 1940's logging and milling lumber has been the economy of this area. 
It is a beautiful scenic town with many historical buildings and has a wonderful light show at Christmas. The town of Ladysmith, B.C. is on Vancouver Island between Nanaimo and Victoria in Canada. It is on the 49th parallel.
There were some great beaches nearby and the sand was black from the coal!!
We were too tired to stay and see the Christmas lights so next year we will do that.
I really enjoyed the docks, there were a lot of docks too.  There was a museum on  one of the docks but it was closed.
I have hurt my back so that is why I have been missing from visiting all your blog sites....I will try to get around to see you this week.  I really like this meme Weekend Reflections and this is my second time around playing with you all.  Cheers.

25 comments:

  1. Wow, the reflections in your photos are awesome! I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful photos; lovely to just get on a boat and set foot somewhere else. Take care of that back of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, beautiful series, the Header Image is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful reflections ! I want to go on holidays now too. But unfortunately you didn't mention in which part of the world I can find this !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos of a beautiful place. Hope you recover soon from your backache.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the nice comments... Hi Gattina thanks for commenting I added the location of Ladysmith..I also have a map of this area on my pages at the top. All my posts are on Vancouver Island where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning shots with plenty of colour and great depth of field.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have nice reflections here! quite a nice place to see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful colours and reflections in your collection of images!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ladysmith is a very beautiful place judging by your photos. Your first photo is quite striking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful series, love all of them.
    What a beautiful place.
    Hope you recover soon, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like B.C. My brother was a prof at UBC for many years and lives in Vancouver where we often visit.
    I hope to visit your island soon. I've seen many photos taken there over the years on my brother's blog when they vacation there.
    http://kreiderskorner.blogspot.com/
    I enjoy anything o do with the water, boating, swimming, fly fishing and just walking on the sand. I will enjoy following your blog. My back is out too. It's my third week mostly lying down on a heating pad. I hope we both return to normal SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I forgot to mention how much I enjoy your excellent photography!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! Beautiful reflections! There's something special about reflections in water - magical!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I moved to the Island 7 years ago from the Mainland and I just love it! I am always in awe of it's beauty. My husband and I make a point to do a road trip up logging roads, and as many back roads as possible. There is so much to see and do and PHOTOGRAPH, I never leave home without my camera.

    Your photos of the marina are lovely!
    Thank you for sharing and for providing a little Island history. It interesting that you mention Dunsmuir in your post as I live in the area names after him, and yes the inter urban train use to run by my place twice a day. I kinda miss that train, it kept on track(no pun intended)for what time of day it was.

    ReplyDelete
  16. «Louis» really likes the photo in your masthead - and he enjoyed seeing the boats in the other images.

    He thanks you for your visit to San Francisco Bay Daily Photo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful reflections and lovely skies. Your Vancouver Island is very scenic. Happy skywatching. I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful images to see..I would love to live by the sea..

    ReplyDelete
  19. these photos are stunning
    you captured the light beautifully
    the reflections are exceptional
    just plain wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. amazing clarity of the reflections, works brilliantly here!

    Cheers,
    My Third Eye

    ReplyDelete
  21. Suas fotografia são fantástica, impressionantemente de uma beleza grandiosa. Gostei muito de conhecer seu blog, e já estou seguindo pra voltar novamente. Convido a conhecer meu blog e seguir-me também, se gostares. Que o ano de 2012 lhe traga muito sucesso. Um abraço!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for bringing back all the memories of my many trips to your Island. Really wonderful series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks so much for coming and I loved to read each of your comment stories...I appreciate the time it takes to put good comments on my blog...it is a nice gift to give someone.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS