Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Snow at Goldstream Park and Emily

The meme today is Our World Tuesday where you can go around the world and see what is happening. 

We had a few days of snow and colder weather so we went to Goldstream Park .  There was no one else there as the roads were pretty bad.  I got separated from my walking partner for a while and walked alone.... So in the silence you could hear the snow crunching as you walked and it felt so desolate made me think of Emily Carr and the writings she did here. "You come into the world alone and you go out of the world alone, yet it seems to me you are more alone while living than even going and coming." (Emily Carr quote).

"The Goldstream Flats are a narrow lowness where Goldstream babbles its way out to the Saanich inlet on Finlayson Arm," Emily Carr wrote in Hundreds and Thousands. "The sun gets no look-in for several hours after rising and winks a goodbye to us long before he has finished his daily round...The woods were in quiet mood, dreamy and sweet. No great contrasts of light and dark but full of quiet glowing light and fresh from the recent rain, and the growth full, steady and ascending." (Emily Carr quote)

Emily Carr was born here in Victoria on December 13, 1871 amidst a snow and wind storm.  She is a treasured artist and writer of our area and of Canada.  She loved these trees at Goldstream and when she camped there in her little van called the Elephant with her monkey Woo in 1931 she would sketch these trees and dream that her sketches would amount to something and she dreamed of protecting trees....all trees!!
Many years later, I used to live next door to her old Hill house when I was a teenager and as the house was then vacant and derelict at the time, covered in bush.... I spend my school years skipping out of school and sitting on her porch and smoking.  Now it is a museum of her work.  They cleaned it up but I still have fond memories of spending all my time there.  She had long ago passed but I still felt her presence.
"As the woods are the same, the trees standing in their places, the rocks and the earth... they are always different too, as lights and shadows and seasons and moods pass through them." (Emily Carr quote)

I sometimes fall back on my Emily Carr quotes when I have writer's block and the text does not seem to flow out of me.  These trees are so impressive it does take all your words away. "I had thought this place somehow incongruous, the immensity of the old trees here and there not holding with the rest but belonging to a different day, to the forest primeval.."(quote from Emily Carr in Hundreds and Thousands).
Thanks for reading this and putting up with my quotes today. (Click pictures larger to see in lightbox).

12 comments:

hannah said...

Thank you for a lovely snow walk. This is where the blogger lightbox comes into its own.

Crafty Gardener said...

Wonderful photos of the park with the snow. Our daughter and grandson frequently go for walks there.

☆Mama Ko☆ said...

Oh my I can feel how freezing cold that walk must be. Looking at those big and gigantic trees giving me a creep though. The sight of the white snow scattered all over looks magnificent though added a single person walking by himself. Thanks for sharing

Powell River Books said...

What beautiful old growth trees. - Margy

Jessica said...

Lovely photos and script. I miss snow so much and am jealous of your quiet walk. I am your newest follower :)

CameraCruise said...

Beautiful post, love the photos and quotes!
Your photos are gorgoues as always.
Thanks for sharing.
Mette

Joyful said...

What a beautiful winter wonderland. You've used a very appropriate quote from Emily Carr for these photos too!

eileeninmd said...

What a gorgeous winter wonderland. I'll bet it is great for snowshoeing. Gorgeous photos.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Emily Carr . . . love the .quotes and the filigree trees. Studio Cat

Pete said...

looks lovely 6,000 miles away....

one day of course you'll get the infamous snow we get. 1/2 an inch causes CHAOS :D

Roy said...

Stunning images, love all of them L.(N)

Island Rambles Blog said...

thanks so much for clicking in here and leaving a note for me...I see some old frends remember me!

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS