Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog and short story blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Rum Island













I have been missing lately but here I am.  We have had another huge wind storm on Vancouver Island.  I have no pictures of it.  But this post will be for ABC Wednesday and the letter today is "i" for island.  Rum Island! I am going back to summer and sun when we took the boat to Rum Island.  The island is part of the Gulf Islands National Park Reserve and it is about a mile from the U.S. border.  It is named Rum Island as the smugglers used it to store liquor during the 1920s prohibition times. We did not find any rum but it was so warm and sunny I did not care. The park on the island was named by Mrs. R. M Nelson who donated the land to the province..it is called Isle-De-Lis Marine Park for the wild lilies that grow there. There are some nice campsites and a gravel beach connects it to Gooch Island.  Great for kayaking.   I may pop this in for Our World Tuesday, Wordless with Words and Watery Wednesday if I ever get it finished.  I have a new page ...what do you think.




16 comments:

  1. Lovely photos of the island. It looks like a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope there wasn't much damage. Beautiful sights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great looking place - I suspect a good deal of time could be well used exploring it!

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great series of beautiful photos!
    Looks like a wonderful place.
    I'm so glad you're back.
    Wish you a beautiful day.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous place to visit. Your new look is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful looking island! I would love to spend some time there! Terrific captures and the next best thing to being there! Such beautiful water and lovely skies! Hope your week is going well!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks idyllistic, great shots :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd need no booze to enjoy being there.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos of such beautiful scenery! So lovely there!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous pictures. This place looks so inviting and your photography showcases it well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to spend some time there.. I am sorry you had a wind storm.. we have had a couple of them with damage and power outages, but nothing too bad..but it has been a strange winter and early spring here in western NY...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your new blog background! Rum island looks a very nice island to be for a vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't know if my comment got through, so here it is again:
    Love your new cheerful blog background! Rum island looks very nice spot for a vacation:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. very nice photos...

    -r1-

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for your comments, they were all appreciated more than you know this week. We had a little interruption in our blogging this week....but all is back in order now.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS