Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I only put a few posts on the first page. Please click "Read More" to see all of each post. Also click "older posts" under the comments or see the archives at the side, labels below post and older Index. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

FOLLOW MY BLOG

To follow click on badge on the sidebar or here.

Monday, May 07, 2012

Octopus Eats Seagull


Quick as a wink. A local woman taking a walk along the Ogden Point Breakwater gets shots of an octopus coming up and quickly grabbing a seagull and eating it! Here is a link to the story and photos she took.  The photos in this series are my own photos of another octopus and some of Ogden Point. The letter this week at ABC Wednesday is "q" and I am using it for the word quick as the octopus finished the seagull very quickly, in 53 seconds it was all done.
(Also the lady that took the pictures was very quick to get that minute on her camera.)


Here are my photos of a Giant Pacific Octopus that was in the Sidney's Shaw Ocean Discovery Center.  This is not the same octopus in the news that went viral about it eating the Glaucous-winged gull.  No, sadly it was not me that got those shots (sigh) but I did get amazing shots of the octopus at the center.


This octopus in these shots here on the blog was at the Discovery Center and he was huge.  I was told that he spent a lot of time at first banging his body against the glass. They are very smart and can solve problems so he soon figured out that he was well fed here.  He was released after some time but they only live for about four to five years and the  male will mate and then die.
I had such a feeling of compassion for this octopus and such a sense of his intelligence..He saw me and gave me the greatest show ever for my camera lens.....never had I connected with a sea creature up so close and personal.  I felt a sadness that he was there, but he was a great ambassador for his kind and it is a learning center for children to go to.

They also had a smaller female later and she even produced 30,000 eggs! The eggs were not fertilized. The female octopus will carefully look after the eggs and then die a few months after laying the eggs.  The female octopus will collect the male sperm and keep it around until she feels like fertilizing the eggs. Now that is liberated. She is clever.  In this case she was unable to fertilize them.

Here are shots of the Ogden Point Breakwater where the lady was walking when she saw the octopus eat the seagull.



Here are some octopus video links.  They are good.  I checked them.
octopus swims with diver
smart octopus
shark vs octopus
octopus hatches babies
Hope you all have a great week ahead and hope you liked this post.

The memes for this week are:  ABC Wednesday the letter "q" for quick Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
ABC Wednesday
Wordless Wednesday with Words
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday

edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  Have glaucoma and eyes bad.


22 comments:

  1. Wow! That is an amazing story she had. I was surprised that she actually had photos of it!
    Also, your photos are very nice also...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome captures for the day and an amazing look your world! Thanks for sharing!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, great octopus and great video. I had never seen one before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are fantastic! I've never heard of an octopus eating a bird before...great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great shot. natural, tho icky!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing photos and that is such an interesting creature.
    Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea...for real.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You took beautiful pics! I know it's nature, but one animal eating another always gives me the hebee geebees (I don't know what the spelling is of that expression).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I have led a deprived life, but I have never seen an octopus in the wild. Your photos were the next best thing to being there myself. I, too, felt terribly sorry for the octopus. I hope, one day, children and adults will be able to learn through video conferencing and or web cams, and that there will be no more confined wildlife, except in cases of rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos! Octopuses are fascinating creatures.Thank you fror sharing.
    Have a great week.
    Wil, ABC Team.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't realize an octopus would eat a gull!
    I thought they just wandered about looking cute and leggy and eating sea plants

    Love your photos

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I saw that octopus, and had great sympathy for the poor seagull. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks you for your comments they are appreciated so much.


    Hildred and Charles: yes in the rush to get my post up on time I did not express my sadness for the poor seagull and I am glad I did not see it happen as I always am the one that intervenes no matter what. Unfortunately there was little this lady could do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating!

    Come and take my Dementia Quiz
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing story and photos. Your Octopus photos are awesome. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The octopus is so interesting! I love the suction cups :) I have heard that they are very intelligent, so I am glad that they let him go after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting.

    Q is for...
    Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I am sorry about your eyes..I make mistakes and I have no excuse really.. This is amazing..wow..I had seen a program on octopus and their kin and how smart these guys really are and how sadly short-lived. I can relate to looking into the eyes and seeing intelligence as I felt that looking at a captive killer whale who did tricks all day...amazing post...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing thing to witness. Like your photos of the octopus.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't know an octopus would eat seagulls. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you all for coming to see this post. thanks for your comments. I should apologize. I think I failed on my sensitivity to my readers this week. I put the link in as it is a rare event, not ever I believe documented that octopus trap seagulls. We have heard of it but not witnessed it. So this was a big event here in both the birding and ocean communities.
    However most of my readers will be birders and I did not realize that this may be disturbing to them. So I hope you were not upset and forgive as I am slightly hardened by spending too much time in the wild.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click for Index

TO CONTINUE CLICK 'OLDER POST' ABOVE HERE OR CLICK ON THE ARCHIVE ON THE SIDE OR --OLDER INDEX OF BLOG PAGES
©all rights reserved on all images and text

COPYRIGHT