Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Sleepy Owls



The species for today's subject is the Great Horned Owl.  We are doing "s" for sleepy owls at ABC this week.   I took these snaps a few days ago when we went in search of baby owls born this spring. All the shots were slow and somewhat in shade.  I was  shooting back lit, hand held with the sun behind the owls so some shadows and silhouettes.  If you can count the "S" words you will be surprised at how many I can cram in here.




This is how I found them, baby owlets, they were sneaking a peak at the stalker and acting so silly.


The adult female gave me a scornful squint as she stands stately on the branch. I think to myself perhaps she remembers me from past years.  She is unconcerned that I am there alone below her tree again with my camera.  She scowls at me, scolding me with her stern looks and sly winks.  She does not bother to leave.


The babies continue to stare at me...did I startle you or scare you I wonder? No, they are just spying on me as I spy on them.  I make some encouraging  owl sounds for them. hoo-hoo-hoo They are amused with me.  We begin our dance together. All things in nature remain a spiritual wonder for me, we are all so interconnected. I mean no harm to them and they sense that.




Now they shuffle along the branch to check me out, each step a little more steady.  They will  proudly give me a saucy look or a serene look as they step along the stick branch.  Here the babies show me their sizable feet..with such sharp talons.  They scratch and peck at their new feet.


The mom just turns her back and gives a huge shake and shiver of her speckled feathers.  She is glad to be out of that nest. Look at those strong legs.





See my spotted and soft feathers and look I have tail feathers too they seem to say to me as they show off  their delight to be out of the nest also. Look I have wings too!



After a short while the baby owls are tired and sleepy.  They sit still on the branch ready for some shut-eye.  As I silently sneak away I hope they stay safe there on the branch and don't slip.



Sorry this is so short, it is summer here and a busy time.  How many "s" words did I achieve without even mentioning the one that I step in all the time!!!

The memes for this week are:  ABC Wednesday the letter "s". Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them as this is the quick way for me to do it.
Show off Your Shot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
World Bird Wednesday
ABC Wednesday
Wordless Wednesday with Words
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday

edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  Sorry this duplicates my posts sometimes.



36 comments:

  1. Beautiful series and nasty you for waking him up!!Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada,

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, super shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do love your owls -- sleepy and otherwise! Delightful captures for the day!! Hope you and the owls have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cute owlets. They are adorable photos. What a great sighting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fuzzy owls! They're cute little things. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now how neat is that!! Great shots...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet story stuffed with super & silly shots of these sassy sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid sequence, showing such great birds!

    (The Ss ran out rather quickly!)

    Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE owls! Thanks so much for the photos! They have so much personality!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic shots of the owls. Great post! Carver ABC-Wed. Team

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love owls, they are just so beautiful! You have some great shots here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos of the owls.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never come across owls during the day like that - and you are right, the babies do look sleepy - LOL!

    Those are really good photos that you got. Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! A great post for WBW!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what a special special treat to see these little owls..how sweet they are and what great photos you got..this is great for Nature Notes..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. great SERIES of the SLEEPY beasts.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable little branchlings ... they are so proud that they can be out like Mom. And where is Dad, he is usually close by as well. Your babies look healthy and Mom, not being concerned with you there, allows them to be curious and enjoy the experience. You are blessed to be able to get so close to these beautiful creatures. I am a raptor person ... have a long history with them. Come see my blog ... I do occasionally post some of my raptor friends.

    Andrea @ From The Sol
    http://www.fromthesol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a delightful series of S's.
    How fortunate you are to see the sleepy little owls.
    Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful photos, - thanks for sharing them. We only catch the occasional glimpse of owls here, so your pictures are a real pleasure. Sweet babies...stern mama

    ReplyDelete
  20. The owls are so cute and you have captured them so well.Thanks for sharing!Have a great day.

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful series! Those owlets are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. that adult is seriously giving you "the look"!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a sweet series of snaps of sleepy owls!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You must know how to do this that they posed in position for you:):)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I didn't count the "S's" you used...I am not sure I can count that high! Delightful post today. Am now following you - your blog always delights, just haven't taken the time to follow before! The photos were magnificent - the detail, and the candid shots...all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How exciting to view so closely as well as get some outstanding images. they are terrific. I had a similar experience recently with Screech Owls, which I will share in a couple of weeks~

    ReplyDelete
  27. adorable little owls, great series of photos

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bellissime fotografie!! Qui le scosse di terremoto continuano, ti lascio un abbraccio tremolante...ciao

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well, you did find a lot of "S" words and they all fit beautifully too. But, mostly, I am just Silly with envy that you had such a close look at one of my favourite birds! What a Superb post this was indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How sweet!

    S is for..
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks so much for these wonderful comments..they mean so much to me. Also thanks to Linda and Andrea for following me, I followed back!I will also add you onto my blogroll lists.

    I am working my way to each of your blogs.
    Owl Update:
    The little owls can fly now from tree to tree, got some more shots yesterday and today just found mom sleeping on a branch and not bothering to even wake up for me. She was really tired.

    ReplyDelete
  32. what a treat to be able to show of such a wonderful subject - I was lucky enough to see an adult Great Horned in Venezuela a few month s ago.... sat ontop of my bedroom

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so happy I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great series.. love that first one especially!

    ReplyDelete
  35. These are wonderful captures! I've never seen an owl up that close let alone a family of them. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS