Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog and short story blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Pileated Woodpecker Feeds Young


The title could be "X Marks the Spot".  We noticed this spot in the wood a while ago when we heard the Pileated Woodpecker making his nest here. The sound echoed through the forest telling us where the exact spot was.
(the letter today for ABC meme is X and I can not think of many X words.)

He pecked for days..but then on subsequent visits it was all quiet. So I thought they had abandoned this nest and gone to another one.   The holes they make when feeding on carpenter ants look very different, they are smaller square holes.  They also eat other insects, seeds and fruit.  Some will come for suet at the feeder if it is easily accessible for a large bird.  They have a very long sticky tongue and they are the largest woodpecker here now.  (Pictures will click larger.)


Male making the nest,, he has the red mustache, female has a black one.
The nest was up very high.  The entrance hole looked bigger than three and a half inches.  The book says the depth could be from 10 to 24 inches.  What a lot of work this guy did...he made a very deep nest hole.

It was all quiet because she was busy sitting on the nest and hatching a baby chick!!  And of course I did not have the camera with me when we went back and saw the baby sticking his head out and screaming
"Feed Me, Feed Me". So we had to return.  I got some shots of him
calling out and looking out of his little nest hole.

Then on our next time there with the camera this is what happened.  I said to my husband it would be nice if the parents would come in and feed this little fellow right now.  And right then and there the parents both flew in and the little woodpecker chick kept turning his head all around looking at them.

He finally stopped screeching and the mom (or dad) flew in beside him and started to shove food right down his throat moving her head so fast and furiously.
The other adult was on a branch above him.


We went back the next day and he had fledged.  I sometimes heard them calling farther back in the woods.  Sad to see him go so soon, I was hoping I would see more of him.  But he was really huge so I knew he was ready to go.  The Pileated Woodpeckers have a very large territory perhaps up to 200 acres so they move around a lot and you cannot find them in the exact same spot. But they do return to favorite trees so I hope we will see this family again and also see their youngsters.





The memes for this week are:  ABC Wednesday the letter "X". Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them as this is the quick way for me to do it.
Show off Your Shot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
World Bird Wednesday
ABC Wednesday
Wordless Wednesday with Words
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday

edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer as my eyes get tired. Such is life. To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.






40 comments:

  1. Fantastic captures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great series of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing series of photos! They are just spectacular! I am SO envious - I have seen a pileated, but never like this! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are priceless shots. I have never seen a baby Pileated,just the adults.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific shots of the woodpecker and family! Such lovely birds! Hope you have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. What amazing shots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...these are stunning photos! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fantastic. Straight from National Geographic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The "X" is a blatant cheat! But I'm glad you did; what an excellent series of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome captures!! Thanks for sharing this event!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I'm so envious! Pileated Woodpeckers have got to be my favorite woodland birds of all. I am out in the woods a lot and seldom see them. Hear them. See the holes they make, but they avoid me like the plague!! Delightful series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there great pictures - I was lucky enough to see Pileated Woodpeckers when I was last in the US - splendid birds!

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great series!Have a great day!

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful photos of the woodpecker.
    Have you stopped by to enter my give away?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Incredible series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are all AMAZING! I also LOVE your header photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What amazing shots of the woodpecker family. I don't know how you manage to take such fantastic photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, fantastic shots.
    How cute the baby Pileated is.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Wish you a wonderful day.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are fantastic shots! Pileated Woodpeckers are beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh! My! Goodness! (I think I may have started a few comments off to you that way.) What an amazing capture and the perfect way to use the letter X! A Pileated Woodpecker is a treat at any time, but to get these family shots is just spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for all your exciting comments...I feel like I have a lot of friends!...it will take me some time to wander around to all your sites, be patient!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so lucky to have gotten the feeding captures!! They are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You zeroed in on that X!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great pictures. I love the feeding shots. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh what a treat..amazing. I know we have a pileated around here because I have seen and heard it, but never have found a nest..they need such large territories that I am sure they aren't plentiful anymore either...I do worry about the future and wonder sadly what it will like here on this planet...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  26. A great series of photos. I especially liked the ones with the young bird poking its head out and screaming to be fed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome captures.

    Xanthopsia
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning pictures!! Woody Woodpecker was my childhood's hero.

    X is for Xarel·lo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the Pileated, fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing your WBW!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful series of images! I enjoyed learning a little bit about them. Wow, a territory of 200 acres seems huge to me. I'm glad you were able to get the shots and I'm thrilled that you shared them.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Outstanding post and series of photos! I saw my first of these just a week ago when I was visiting my dad in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  32. These pictures are miraculous! I feel blessed just to see the odd pileated, to see action like this is unbelievable...
    Thanks for sharing these beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  33. A wonderful series of photos following the adventures of the woodpecker family. Beautiful birds,
    Joy - ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  34. What an absolutely wonderful discovery. You are so fortunate to have found this nest and to have had this opportunity to photograph these beautiful birds. You've got some incredible shots!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I once got a shot of a woodpecker - not nearly as pretty as yours. These are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think the sight of a young woodpecker sticking its head out of the nest hole is one of the best birding sights you can get, you got it in bucket loads

    fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  37. Pileated are usually pretty scitish so they can be hard to photograph. Great series of pics. Thanks for participating in this weeks Tuesday Tweets.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my! Those little baby redheads are SO DARN CUTE! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS