Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Varied Thrush


Today we will do the Varied Thrush with very little text.  And we will work on our "v" words for ABC Wednesday. These are not recent pictures as they were taken in winter snow in the vicinity of my yard.  My neighbour had left the apples on his tree so I stood in cold vigil to try to view the Varied Thrush as they came to vandalize the apples.

The Varied Thrush is a bit of a vagrant vagabond and you will hear his voice from up high on a tree or in deep cover, rarely visible.  It has the most beautiful and variable song, a series of two or three vague trills of different pitches.  On this day they were not vocal at all and they were as silent as the snow that was falling on me.

They will eat a variety of things, including various berries and insects, snails, worms and also raisins, suet and fruits. They did attack the apples quite vigorously.  This thrush has such a lovely vivid vermilion vest.

This text is full of "V" words as it is a game bloggers play when we run out of ideas to blog about and are having a word void or writers block. I have a list of wonderful memes at the end that inspire me and keep me going.

These birds seem to vary in color value, the darker richer colors are the males I suppose.

They soon vanished into the deep, dark forest as quietly as they came and they flew with great velocity.

I hope you enjoyed this vignette of thrushes and will visit my blog again.  My vision is not that great but that is one of the vicissitudes of life. I have recently traded in one of my very favorite lenses and now have the Canon 7D with Video!! I hope my pictures will improve and you will enjoy the videos.

Thank you so much for your comments..it is taking me a bit longer to get to each of your sites.
The memes for this week are:  ABC Wednesday the letter "v". Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them as this is the quick way for me to do it. 
Show off Your Shot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
World Bird Wednesday
ABC Wednesday
Wordless Wednesday with Words
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday

edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer as my eyes get tired. Such is life. To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.






33 comments:

  1. Lovely shots and the plumage on the thrush is beautiful! Great patterns! Congratulations on your 7D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUPER! I have been hunting for a varied thrush to photograph, but they are rare her so it might take me a while. They are such pretty birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great capture!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures of this special bird. I would love to get that Canon7D,but just can't justify it in any way.Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice job today - a veritable smorgasbord of "v" words! This is so much fun to read...I forgot to count the words! Love that varied thrush! I decided not to get a new camera, but am eagerly awaiting the 150-500mm lens hubby bought for my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good capture! Enjoy the new camera and keep shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful bird!! Great shots...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, colorful birds and terrific captures! Congratulations on the new camera! That's wonderful!! Look forward to lots more beautiful captures of your world! Have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, you caught these birdies eating the fruit! Beautiful captures!
    And love your header too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a veritable visionary with a venerable versatility with the view finder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superb captures. Happy clicking with your new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice pictures of the thrushes. Leaving old fruit and foliage for the birds over winter is a great way to attach them. We get a steady parade of birds in our garden eating leftover seeds and insects on the dead foliage. Well worth the laziness of not cutting it down:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. they blend in with the fruit!
    sweet pretty birds

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful images of a stunning bird a mythical bird this side of the Atlantic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've captured this beautiul bird so well.Have a great day!

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed your creative use of "V" words and since I don't see the Varied Thrush very often, it was a treat to read about your winter experience.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos of the thrush and I liked the number of "v" words you managed to get into your post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. seems like a useful bird!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a pretty little bird! Congratulations on your new camera! That is very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful pictures of the Varied Thrush, - would love to hear their musical song, but I think they are not native to this part of B.C. - at least I have never seen one here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for the beautiful series of these magnificent birds. I had never seen this bird until now, because you made it possible to get acqainted with it.
    Thanks for taking part in the ABC meme!
    Wil, ABC Team.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Varied Thrush is a beautiful bird. Congrats on your new camera, beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful shots of the pretty bird.
    Congrats on your 7D.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  24. Busy critters.

    Eye View
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  25. Visiting form ABC WED for the first time. Enjoyed your blog♫

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an interesting and entertaining post - I enjoyed all the v words. The Thrush is a lovely bird. Congratulations on your new camera!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What lovely birds!! You got really good, clear shots too :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an absolutely gorgeous bird! How I would love to see one! i cannot imagine the beauty of its song either. I will have to see if I can find a recording on the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nora..I am so sorry about your vision, but you are going to have lots of fun with your camera...I did not know anything about this bird and I have only heard a wood thrush there once in a while and their song is amazing......Thank you for linking up to Nature Notes...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow what a great series!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful! Very clear and the colors just jump out!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fabulous images of a very colourful bird Nora.

    ReplyDelete
  33. thanks so much for all this attention and I feel spoiled to have so many comments....I love your comments..I have decided to spend my time going to each of your sites rather than making long replies here on mine.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS