Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

American Dipper, Goldfinch and Robin

Here we go again!  Another round of the wonderful meme ABC started by Mrs. Nesbitt and managed so well and faithfully by the ABC team. I will do American Dipper, American Goldfinch and American Robin for letter "A".
This is the American Dipper found out at Goldstream Park.  He has the most wonderful song but I have not been able to video him singing at this time of year.

He is not shy and firmly believes that it is his river there and you are just to be tolerated.

This was so unusual!  I got the Goldfinch just stuffing himself with kelp!!
Who knew that they loved kelp.
Kelp has a lot of minerals in it and he seemed to enjoy it.


My Goldfinches eat finch food and chipped sunflower seeds but perhaps I should get some kelp.  Also I found a young Robin who was having a bath and just really having so much fun.  I will try to put in two of my first video series....apologies as they are hand held and I walk around waving the camera at things with great expectations! The videos are not great but the sound of the Swainson's Thrush in background is incredibly sweet.


 Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them as this is the quick way for me to do it. Since World Bird Wednesday has concluded I am happy to link to Anni at "I'd Rather B Birdin" for her Sunday "the Bird D'pot" meme....lets all fly there and join up.

The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday




edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer as my eyes get tired. Such is life. To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.












32 comments:

  1. Perfect A words! You are way ahead of me - I haven't decided yet what I'll post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful birds. The American Dipper is a great bird to see. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting images of the Goldfinch, I've never had the opportunity to actually observe one along the waters edge as you've captured in these photos, great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos. I didn't know goldfinches ate kelp, but they wouldn't find that in my inland garden, just black oil sunflower see and nyger seed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photos! I learned something new...I had no idea goldfinches would eat kelp! Never would have considered it. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that little dipper! Gorgeous colour! And adore the bouncy dipping motion you captured in your video! Beautiful photos and videos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post! I loved your videos with the sound of rushing water and birdsong as well as the joy of seeing your birds doing what birds do and enjoy. The dipper was such fun to see. Now I know where they get the name and the goldfinch pigging out on kelp certainly was a surprise. Your riverbank is like a little piece of paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos of all the birds. The Dipper is especially interesting to me as I have read about them but never seen them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing pictures and video. The videos are fantastic,nice and clear.I especially liked watching the Dipper,as this is a bird I have never seen.I need to practice using the video on that 7D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What gorgeous, colorful birds and your captures are fantastic! Wonderful post for the day! Thanks for sharing the beauty!! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed your bird photographs; especially the goldfinch

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing captures!!!! The dipper, is it so blue normally? I think it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kelp and finches wow. Maybe it's a west coast adaption!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your A Team! Geeat stills and videos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your birds are so lovely to see... your images fantastic.
    I am so pleased we have a new home to share our love of wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed your bird photos. I only ever get 2 kind of brown jobs at my place and 1 black. Not too exciting to share on a regular basis. Happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful colours indeed. Please have a good Tuesday.

    daily athens photo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent ones for 'A'. :) Great series of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That’s a really nice set of pictures.

    Keep an eye out for (yet another) new meme on Wednesday.

    Cheers - Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the yellow finch!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super shots of both the Water Ouzel and the Goldfinchs Nora. Love the video too! Aren't those Dippers amazing?

    ReplyDelete
  22. A great series of photos. I love the Goldfinches, so colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome shots of a couple of Admirable birds.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  24. AMAZING birds!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful bird photos. Our gold finches only eat thistle seed. and we get quite a few on our feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful birds.

    Aero 360's Arrows
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really enjoyed the photos and videos...the dipper is so cute and I can't believe that finch was eating kelp..that is really interesting.. Hope you are enjoying your hair cut. Thank you for presenting some wonderful nature this week for Nature Notes...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi there - thanks for the comment.

    There is a badge at the bottom of the page called "Wild Bird Wed..." - these pages are as tab across the top of the blog. Feel free to grab it and resize as needed.

    Cheers - Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such beautiful captures of the goldfinch!

    ReplyDelete
  30. loving your goldfinches and robins and enjoyed the video clips also

    ReplyDelete
  31. your goldfinch and ours are very different

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! Thanks for the encouragement and nice comments...there is a sense of community amongst bloggers, it is in the comments that you find the community.
    Thanks for making my day.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS