Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Fishing Pedder Bay Part 1

Why do I like fishing?  Well I really don't like the fishing part all that much, if truth were told, I love being on the ocean.  I love going in the boat and seeing that wide expanse of sparkling blue all the way to the horizon and then on to the softly faded mountains and up to the pale misty sky. To me it is like some wildly magical painting that I get to live inside.

Having a little trouble coming up with this weeks blog text and pictures ideas.  It is "F" week at ABC for fishing.  This is the rough draft of what I have done so far. I have run out of time...So here we go.
 
The ocean sparkles.

Sometime it turns everything on the palette blue and you are just a dot on
enormous seascape ranging from cobalt to ultramarine.

Sometimes a whale comes steaming right up to the boat to have a look at you.



Sometimes the humpback whale plays gently with seals, this is true in my mind.


Sometimes you become part of a family of sea lions and experience their fears and want to help them.





Sometimes you get yummy things to eat from the sea and sometimes you get things you are familiar with and other times you have no idea what they are.

Sometimes I can see so clearly on the ocean, I can steer the boat so much better than a car. Sometimes porpoises come to the bow and help us to travel along....they are so fast I cannot get a picture of them.



On the ocean there are so many more birds and they perform such wonderful entertaining acrobatics, diving and screaming, some casual, some shy.

Harbour seals will proudly present their babies to you.

Eagles will give us a glimpse of what it would be like to live on a private island in a huge treetop nest where no people ever can come.  They watch us closely.... to scavenge any waste.

All these amazing creatures are the reason why I love to be on the ocean.  I am at home on the ocean.

This is probably a bad idea for a post.  oh well.    I have found that bloggers don't watch the videos, takes too long for them.  I will continue to pop them in but don't feel you need to watch.  I am doing the videos mostly for myself as a learning process.  The videos are about fishing for hatchery fish today at Pedder Bay, B.C.  Here are some Pedder Bay pictures.



Below will be two videos.  They don't show up on email or feed.

The first video shows us heading out to go fishing from Pedder Bay, B.C. The Fisheries Boat was checking on all the boats to see they had all the proper paperwork. I wanted them to come over to us so I could film them.
Pedder Bay, B.C.




The second video shows us catching two fish.  We had to check the fish to see if we can keep them.  If they are hatchery fish, the adipose fin is cut off.  This is the little fin back by the tail.  We are allowed to keep two of the hatchery fish for one license, no wild fish right now.  We don't know what hatchery they come from, could be Puget Sound most likely, or Fraser River. We pulled in two hatchery coho salmon, nice and red inside, good to smoke or just to eat.  Don't watch videos if you don't like fishing. o.k. There are two more videos in this series and I have not done them.




 Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them as this is the quick way for me to do it. It is fishing for "f" week at ABC Wednesday.

The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday




edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer as my eyes get tired. Such is life. To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.

Help Internet  people 
I am having trouble.  The blogger lightbox will not work on Internet Explorer 9.  I would click a picture and it would show in a dark box with all the pictures....now not working on IE9.  Anyone know how to fix it. It works on other browsers not IE9. Frustrating, none of my gadgets work!

34 comments:

  1. I love your post today. I watch the videos as I love seeing the fascinating things you video.
    Can't help with your issue of lightbox as I don't use Windows, in fact I can't stand Windows. But that is just me. Have you tried a different browser?
    Have a great day, hope you get to spend more time on the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Crafty Gardener. Yes the Blogger Lightbox works on all other browsers except IE9 so it is something blocking it on IE9, like a popupblocker, javascript blocker etc but I have checked most of them so hoping someone will have some more info on this for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! The sights you see! How thrilling! I enjoy seeing your captures. Fantastic shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The sights you show are so thrilling! I enjoy going through your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great video work. I enjoy the stills as well,but since I NOW CAN DO VIDEOS AS WELL,I ENJOY SEEING WHAT YOU HAVE PUT TOGETHER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome captures! So much beauty! Thank you for sharing the wonder!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post so full of life.

    I'd love to visit the west coast someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome photos of these beautiful creatures! seeing a whale must be an incredible experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there - I'd noticed the issue with EI, but I have no fix!

    I often say that if the only part of fishing you enjoy is catching fish, you are going to be bored most of the time!!

    Cheers - Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love the sea also!!! If it weren't for hurricanes around here in the 6 month season, I'd be having a house built right on the shore.

    Loved your eagle and cormorants photos!!!!

    Thanks for linking up at the Bird D'Pot this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, and wonderful photos!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic shots. They are all great but my favorites are the ones of the whale. Carver, ABC-Wed-Team

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a wide variety of wildlife! love the eagle shot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. my daughter wants to fish after seeing some FOLKS in the park this weekend.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  15. Although I confess that I hate fishing (and any activity that stresses, hurts or kills living beings), I LOVED this post! I didn't watch the videos. Funnily enough, my grandfather was a Newfoundland fisherman (he died before I was born) but when my Mom took me fishing for the first time, I cried when she caught a fish. That was the end of my fishing career :) I became vegetarian and then vegan although i continue to respect the incredible work ethic and character of people who make their living from the sea. What I loved about your post was your beautifully expressed thoughts about the ocean and oh.. those whale, seal, porpoise and sea lion shots.. they were truly thrilling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing pics of the whale!! Also I love your pic of the birds on their nests!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful photos of all the animals and birds! and ofcourse the great nature!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos and so many beautiful things to see and watch on your fishing trip. The eagle is especially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing wildlife shots. I love seeing the whales and the sea lions. Great shots of the cormorants and the eagle. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous shots! I see why you like fishing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing photo shots ~ Nature's best all in one place ~ Great post ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic shots!

    Fashionista
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  23. Was für ein grandioser Beitrag mit solchen fantastischen Aufnahmen. So etwas sieht man bei uns nur im TV. Echt klasse!

    Servus und so long
    CL

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, I so enjoyed this journey that you shared. To be so close to Whales, Sea Lions and all of the rest, just wonderful~

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic post! So many great photos! I also LOVE the ocean. I live very close to it and even if I don't see it everyday, I love knowing it's there...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for the wonderful comments on this blog experiment...all blogs are experimening for me. I appreciate your feed back to see what people like. It is a lot of work to do this kind of posting, photos to match video and text is hard, so the comments are so valuable to me.

    I will translate from German to English for Cloudy's lovely comment in German up there...;-)
    I translate the unknown ones to see if they are good...

    "What a terrific post with such fantastic images. Something you see with us only on TV. Really great! Hello and so long CL"

    Cloudy has a really nice page.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm glad you let the smaller coho go to give it more time to grow.

    How wonderful it must be to live so close to the whales and sea lions.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I cannot choose the best out of all your amazing photos..they are all superb....your neck of the woods appears pretty wild....

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my.. they're awesome!!!!

    visit from ABC
    http://www.iamvincecrispaul.com/2012/08/hooray-for-my-stars/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I want to meet a whale and hang out with sea lions!
    this post is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow Nora..AMAZING photos..how I wish I could visit and see this for myself. I always look at people's videos and post them myself realizing that many people won't, but I do enjoy yours. Thank you for linking up to Nature Notes..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow - so very very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow!great pictures you have there!your post is a treat for us who sees them!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I dislike fishing but I'd have loved to have been in those surroundings - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS