Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Monday, October 01, 2012

Long Beach, B.C.





Back again!  We have just returned home and I am so far behind in everything...including visiting all my blog friends.  I will slowly get around to seeing what I have missed....thanks so much for your visits here. I am thankful that anyone still visited my blog while I was away.

Well I think I will try to blog about Long Beach, B.C. where we went about a week or so ago.  Long Beach is the largest beach in the Pacific Rim National Park on the west coast of Vancouver Island, B.C.

The various beaches in the Long Beach group stretch for 15.5 miles or 25 km.  The area is the traditional home of the Nuu-chah-nuth peoples who lived on the shores and fished the seas for thousands of years before our time.  How amazing their life must have been in this wild place. How I wish I could have seen it then and could have been part of that life.





The area is now popular with surfers, kayakers, campers, birders, and has a lot of good hiking trails also.  It is a tourist destination without being commercialized.....you get lots of surf, huge winds, long white sandy shores, old growth forests, rugged rock bluffs instead of it being spoiled by anything created by humanity....it is all created by nature. I would prefer that there were no people there at all but it is the only way it can be saved.
Long Beach for "L" at ABC meme.




The park provides protection for this pristine area of rain forest and Pacific Ocean shoreline.  It is 49,962 hectares including Long Beach, the Broken Islands and the West Coast Trail.





If you spend the day on one of the beaches I will promise you that you will never be the same person.  There is something magical and absolutely
renewing to your spirit there.....you will return to the city covered in sand and totally windblown and you will always feel that you have been to your ancestral home, not knowing that part of your soul will remain there in the pounding surf forever.You will think of that often. You have been captured by an ancient powerful ghost of time gone by.




Everyone there was so happy and friendly.  The sky was really big there and you get to feel like you are part of something so huge, so immense that our brain cannot even understand it yet. I felt tiny as I stood there on this never ending beach..... I wish I could stay there forever. All my problems became so small and insignificant and washed away with the waves.




At the time when we were visiting, there was a group of birders there on the same day and these are the birds they saw:  Baird's Sandpiper, Whimbrels, Sanderlings, Black Turnstones, Black Oystercatchers, Western Sandpipers, and Herring Gulls.  They also saw Sooty Shearwaters.


We saw the Gulls and my husband got some good shots of the Whimbrels. You can tell we are not expert at knowing what we are seeing.

Please click on the photos to see them in much larger better size in the pretty lightbox which is working again....thank you blogger. 


On the day we arrived at Long Beach we had a torrential rain storm.  It was not rain, it was west coast rain.  No one could step outside of their cars that day.  However, this did not stop me.  Hubby drove me to each beach and I walked alone down each rainy path to each stormy beach.  I had it all to myself.  It was mystical and magical. Isolated. Shrouded in fog and huge waves rolling in.  I was home. There was just the forest, the beach, the rain and myself.  How amazing is that.

Video Section below has a short video on Long Beach, B.C.
 
Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them as this is the quick way for me to do it.  I have not been able to get up to date with visiting many blogs as I have been away...as soon as I unpack I will try my best to check in. 

The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday







edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer as my eyes get tired. Such is life. To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.
 
Video Long Beach, B.C. 










33 comments:

  1. Glad you're back and I can see y your photos that you have been surrounded by beauty. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful coastline! The clouds and the mountains in the background are gorgeous! Love the driftwood, too. We used to see it all the time on the Great Lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What incredible beaches and your captures are superb!! Love the birds! Such a wonderful, peaceful place to spend time! Thanks for sharing the beauty! Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shots of the the beach and I love the birds. Thanks for sharing your world. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic shots of beautiful area ~ Wow! What beaches! (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nora, your beaches are fantastic. I have definitely added your area to my bucket list. And I have had the experience where being on the water put all my priorities in order... You are extremely lucky to live in such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos of the shoreline are magnificent! I can see why you would love being there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This place looks magical! Wonderful captures of the seabirds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures have the magical ambiance captured so well. Great bird shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos! I can imagine one's troubles seeming insignificant in that setting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those beach scenes are so lovely.The colours are relaxing as are the waves coming in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful shots of the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing photos of the beach, the clouds and the birds. I am so glad that you posted the video too. Though the sound was a little rough, I enjoyed seeing the beautiful view and watching the waves come in. But, it makes me long for the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Superb coastline - there is something wonderful in these areas which you have captured with your photography and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely photographic essay of your holiday:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Didn't know that Canada HAD a Long Beach. I always associate it with California. LOVELY.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely beach, beautiful pictures!

    ABC Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely NOTHING is better in this world than being out with nature on such a beautiful landscape as a beach...anywhere in the world for that matter!!! Wonderful photos.

    Sorry I'm so late this week getting around to view your bird shares and checking out the Bird D'Pots linkies!!! The computer of mine is now running a lot smoother to where I can actually get out and browse photos!!!

    Thanks for linking up at the Bird D'Pot this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Utterly beautiful.
    You captured the breaking waves perfectly.
    It makes me want to go visit there...right now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Better to be at the beach than inside. Glad you are home. Now you have the memories to share and the photos to post.
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  21. Miss the beach. These series of shots makes me want to go to the beach soon. Great captures on the birds too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't been over there since the early 70's - that is much too long! Must get over there soon as there is nothing like the sea air and the wind blowing your hair in your eyes! Beautiful photos!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, i love those stretches with the breaking small waves following each other to the shores. It is really a lovely scene when it is already far into the sea and yet not yet going so deep. And the looks on fotos don't seem to be cold, as if they are also from the tropics.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful, solitary beach! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like a wonderul place to visit (on a quiet day). Great Whimbrel shots.

    ReplyDelete

  26. Amazing shots! I can;t wait to visit this kind of place.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the beach! Fantastic captures of a beautiful spot!

    ReplyDelete
  28. it looks amazingly magical to me...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous photos! I've been there before, but it was a long time ago. These beautiful photos remind me that I really do need to get back up there. Next time, it won't be in a 1963 VW Bus...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a beautiful beach!

    Catching up with ABC. Got busy the past couple of days and just now have the time to visit entries.

    Leaping Chipmunk
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow Nora..how beautiful and I believe that is has magic. Just looking at the photos and video starting undoing the knot in my stomach..I am glad you got away and am happy to see you back...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  32. thanks so much for your comments ...they make me very very happy!! I knew there was a reason why I am doing all this!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely photos - what a beautiful place and a nice collection of birds too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Please do not link in a comment, I have to then delete as there is too much spam going on.
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS