Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, November 19, 2012

So Many "Super" Photos

I found so many "S" photos I liked for the weekly memes I had a hard time to decide what to put in. This beach here is called South Beach it is next to Long Beach, Vancouver Island, B.C. ABC Wednesday is now at the "s" section so here we go with that theme. You can view the photos larger in the lightbox if you click on them they look much better there.
                  Nice scenery here.

 
       The photos below were taken at the Saanich Fair.  
 
 
                                                        Small dancers spin
                      At the Saanich Fair also. I love this picture above
                       and below is the squint.                  
Cobble Hill Fair below.....showing the sheep.
                                      The sheep were soft.       
                         Really small, short horses and more soft sheep.
                        
                    


                                  Salmon at Puntledge Hatchery
Logs at Sayward, B.C.
Spotted Towhee in my yard
                       I was in a blind and he walked slowly up to me, this                 was taken when he was at my feet, not cropped.


 
 
Spotted Sandpiper at Maber Flats
                                             Sora at Maber Flats
                         So difficult to get the Sora away from the branches.
                         Sooty Shearwater out on the boat, Sooke, B.C.
                         I am not sure it is a Sooty.  

                                     Stilts at Maber Flats
                                    Sea Lions at Race Rocks
                              Sea Lion skull
                                        Scaup at Kings Pond
                                 Sailboat at Swiftsure
 The House of Small, Emily Carr's family house, Victoria, B.C.
                                  Sombrio Beach near Sooke, B.C.
                      Sandcut Beach and falls, near Sooke, B.C.

                           These just smell so lovely.
                                  Pine Siskin on the feeder


I hope you enjoyed the photos this week and please come back again. I love to read comments to please leave me a note and I will visit  your blog.

All the birders are excited as two or more Snowy Owls have landed on Trial Island near here. I have not been able to see them yet.

Some of the unusual birds seen on the island this week  are:

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Brown Pelican, Clark's Grebe, Horned Lark, Mountain Bluebird, Snow Bunting, Swamp Sparrow, Townsend's Solitaire, Tropical Kingbird, Tundra Swan, White-throated Sparrow.

Other interesting birds that we see here at this time are:

American Kestrel, Ancient Murrelet, Canvasback, Eurasian Wigeon, Long-tailed Duck, Marbled Murrelet, Northern Harrier, Ring-Necked Duck, Ruddy Duck, Trumpeter Swan, Western Grebe, Western Meadowlark and Wilson's Snipe.



Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but this is the quick way for me to join in the memes as I have some difficulty with my eyes.



The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday







 
edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer as my eyes get tired. Such is life. To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.




40 comments:

  1. Absolutely incredible...ALL the 's' photos. Each and every one. Of course I especially like the birds, from the scaup to the siskin [I just "S"potted a scaup myself this past weekend, and yet to find a siskin --not sure they're down here, but would love to see one in real time]

    Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Anni, we have so many siskins, I will try to send them down to you!! I am never sure if my Scaup is a Lesser or Greater, I will have to read up on the differences.

      Delete
  2. I did some reading on the scaups, and I guess they used to call them Blue-bills. The one that is more common on saltwater is the Greater. The Greater has a rounder head and has a greenish tinge to it. The Lesser has a domed head and a blue purple tinge. Now I think this is a Lesser but they are very hard to tell apart and we have both here.

    The Canon 7D seems to have the color settings very high toward the blue so this could just be why the head looks blue also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, colorful and beautiful captures of your world!! Such fun! Love all the birds and the critters as well! Delightful post for the day! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you arrived here Sylvia. I now worry about you if you do not show up sometime. thanks for your continued support of this blog.

      Delete
  4. They certainly are super photos Nora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy...I will follow you to your new blog.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful sequence!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary. Gary has a wonderful blog all about the nature of his area in Canada.

      Delete
  6. Great series of pictures The Towhee is a fantastic picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. congratulations Ruth on your photos being published.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful "problem" to have too many duper photos to post! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so funny, I love the typo that EG made here. Some of my photos are really doopers. EG used to be called EGWOW years ago and she is a Canadian blogger also. Has a great photo site.

      Delete
  8. I love your super photos. The birds are awesome. I would like to see them all. Great post, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Eileen, will be over to see you.

      Delete
  9. Stupendous scenic shots shows such skill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fun60, it is fun to visit your blog.

      Delete
  10. such variety ~ and they are all awesome ~ water shots are my favorite then animals ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol has the most creative site, artist and photographer and poet.

      Delete
  11. Fantastic captures and you have such variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indrani went to a party with 300 bloggers...how great would that be. I blog all alone on this island where there are no other bloggers, I don't know any bloggers in the real world, it is blog isolation here so my virual blog friends are a life line to my little blog. You can read about Indrani's party on her latest blog. If I go to a party and say I am a blogger I get a blank look. No one knows what a blog is here. And that is my rant.

      Delete
  12. Amazing photos again. Love the large shot of the curved beach and waves, and of the seals. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely collections of shots - pretty birds and amazing skies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That spotted towhee captures my heart!! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been to Emily Carr's house and the porch is so lovely! All your photos are amazing! I'm so near and yet so far away...

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  16. I believe you get the prize for the most S words and photos.
    Simply Sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  17. a fine SERIES of photos. The bird on the shoulder looks to be attacking the girl. Or maybe I'm poisoned by Hitchcock.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoy all the esses you found. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all these photos

    PhenoMenon, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, you really went all out - nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some very nice "S" birds there - skuas are always very hard to ID - I think that "I think its a" should always be said before you name one!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  22. A great series of "s" photos. The beach scenery is not just "super" but magnificent! I like the way the Towhee came right up to you and let you get such great close-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  23. such a lovely assortment of snapshots and I especially loved the spotted towhee

    ReplyDelete
  24. Calling by from the ABC Wednesday meme, you certainly found plenty of lovely S photos to share.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow..you have so many wonderful photos that I had to go and look again..beautiful scenery, lots of birds... great area of your country to live in.. (I fixed the link to Nature Notes)..sorry I am late getting around...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  26. Simply super sizzling "S" shots!
    Love the birds, of course, the towhee coming so close is great! That's quite a list of birds you could potentially see on the island! I may have to schedule a trip! As usual, love the images and the commentary! - Wally in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a gorgeous collection of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Superduper spectacular.

    Hooray, I finally get my PC back so I am playing catch up with all of the S entries this week.

    SketcheS, please come and see.
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  29. A great collection of photgraphs there "Something for everyone". That list of birds has me gnashing my teeth in anticipation - pity I can't get there.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loved seeing all your photos this week. We visited a lot of the places you mentioned while we were visiting family in Sooke.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS