Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Tigers and TBirds


Today it is a mixture of old and new photos.  These were taken some time ago when I met Suzi the tiger who lived nearby for a while.
She is so beautiful. Some people were afraid of her so she had to be moved away.  The fear was actually just in the minds of the people.
I am posting some photos for the letter "T" at the ABC Wednesday Meme. Below is Tower Point in the Metchosin area.
I also post each week for another meme I enjoy...Our World Tuesday.  It was started by Klaus Peter, a wonderful photographer who passed away and his meme, My World Tuesday, was continued on with the new name.
Klaus was helpful to me when I started blogging and he was an amazing person. I think his Flickr site is still up.
It was a thrill to see the Lapland Longspur out at Cattle Point. It is a rare bird for the area and is supposed to be a lot more south.
I always like to photograph the Trumpeter Swans, above are from the Red Barn area and below are in the fields at Cowichan.
This Trumpeter Swan lives all year at Esquimalt Lagoon.
These shots were taken this summer at Tofino, B.C.

Here is a shot of the curious Towhee in my backyard, I was in the blind and he came right up to me but I think  he could hear the shutter clicking. We saw a baby Towhee this spring so I guess they have a nest near here.  The baby seemed to sing a little tuneful song each night.

Varied Thrush ....we put out some apples for them and lure them over from the neighbours.

Caspian Terns out at Sidney Spit, I never got to see the Elegant Tern but he looked a lot like these anyway. 

Hummingbirds are such teeny tiny birds.  This one was on a line out on my deck last night...note the clothes pins.  Well there is a feeder nearby.
Turkey Vultures can be a little bored and peck at you unless you play the flower game with them.
 Tsartlip summer powwow.
 The Rowing Team out at the lake.

 These shots were taken near Tod Inlet.
 Below it is low tide at Moses Point.
 Big trees at Goldstream park.
Tugboats at Cowichan Bay.
 Wonderful fall colors on the trees at Koksilah.
Butchart Gardens below ..trees in fall colors.


And that is all for this blog.  Next week I am doing something totally different. It will be helpful so try to check back to see it.

The unusual birds this week are the Brown Pelicans but I have no luck in finding them along the shore by Ogden Point.  I did find the Harris Sparrow and the White-throated Sparrow at Hyacinth Park..


Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but this is the quick way for me to join in the memes as I have some difficulty with my eyes.



The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday







 
edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer as my eyes get tired. Such is life. To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.




60 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos! The tiger is very handsome! Your hummingbird, thrush, and swan shots are wonderful! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the visit Brian, will check out your latest captures.

      Delete
  2. Awesome captures as always, Nora!! So much beauty! The autumn colors are breathtaking and I love the tiger!! What a beauty! Hope you've had a good weekend and have an even better week ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sylvia, we really need your blog, as we need to laugh more often in this culture, we are way too serious, other cultures laugh all the time so thanks for your contributions to our laughter.

      Delete
  3. Great pictures as always. All that moss on the trees is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lots of snow in your shots today, stay warm.

      Delete
  4. I love the longspur and the varied thrush! the swans are pretty. The trees are amazing! Awesome birds and photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen has the Nuthatch today on her site.

      Delete
  5. Wow, such a collect of amazing photos; I could comment on every one! The Butchart Gardens fall colors are stunning! I hope I get the opportunity to visit again (in the fall)! As always, the scenery is incredible and you have captured many beautiful birds, especially the Varied Thrush! The Caspian Terns look so sharp in their breeding plumage; it is usually gone by the time I see them here. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to visit in the fall, Tammy. It is a good time to bird here as well.

      Delete
  6. Deeeeelightful pictures!! The longspurs have been showing up everywhere!! How beautiful those Caspian Terns are. Great captures! How is it you still have hummingbirds this time of year? Is it really that mild in your little corner of the world? I'd love to get that close to a Turkey Vulture. Wonderful post. Really enjoyed my visit!! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,We have the Anna's hummers all year here on the south island, they have their babies in January or February in the snow time and it is so hard to see that if we are having a cold winter. The Turkey Vulture is from the Raptor Center and is very used to people.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful shots! The tiger is gorgeous as are some of those lovely birds you shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you have some very unusual wildlife close-ups today, Linda.

      Delete
  8. That's a lot of photos to scroll through :) Each subject deserves their own post for us to really appreciate their beauty! Love the thrush and oyster catchers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty. You have a great blog on how to do mosaics today.

      Delete
  9. A great series of photos and of course the tiger is the most exotic and beautiful. Can't imagine being that close to one, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Mick,wonderful shorebirds at Mick's place.

      Delete
  10. Oh wow - so many beautiful shots! That last autumn one is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, your autumn shot is pretty gorgeous also.

      Delete
  11. your photos are fabulous! the mossy trees are so beautiful--makes me sad that our forests here are getting smaller everyday despite the log ban. Suzi is a magnificent creature...but if one of my neighbors has a tiger, I'd be nervous, too.:p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luna Miranda has an interesting blog on fishing on her islands today.

      Delete
  12. The fall colours are so beautifully captured. I love your bird shots. Amazing that a tiger, probably from these parts lived near you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lots of ABC photos and a 2000 year old temple over at lotusleaf.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just awesome captures, Nora. Now I just HAVE to add British Columbia to my "bucket list"! It looks to be a photographer's paradise. Thanks so much for sharing your part of our world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, hope you find out what kind of eagle or harrier that is on your blog today.

      Delete
  15. What a truly magical set of photos. You live in a beautiful land, and you photograph it so well. That shot of the towhee is really outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note, MyMaracas has a lot of creative photos and photo tips there.

      Delete
  16. Beautiful shots! And I will definitely check back next week. You have me intrigued.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie, thanks and yes come back next week.

      Delete
  17. Super nice pictures series you are viewing.
    Wish you a good day :)
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hanne in Sweden, thanks for the comment on my blog. Your english is good and you have some great shots of Sweden to share.

      Delete
  18. HI there - great set of pictures. For all my love of nature, I may be just a bit worried if I had a tiger living next door!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stewart, Suzi the tiger had a very large, safe enclosure, someone had spent a lot of money putting in a huge area for her but it is difficult to have caged wildlife close to people. I just wish she could be free.

      Delete
  19. Beautiful series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice Pelicans over there Neil, much warmer there I hope.

      Delete
  20. These are fabulous! Love the tiger photos as well as the fall foliage you captured! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody has huge kohm on her blog today...know what that is, check it out.

      Delete
  21. I'm so sad that tigers have become endangered. lovely shots!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Rog, I am sad also. They are one of the most beautiful creatures on the earth, and to see them up close and personal is incredible but wish she was at her home country living a normal tiger life and not having to live her life in a cage as everyone is so scared of her.

      Delete
  22. Gorgeous captures! Your birdies steal my heart!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your photos are so wonderful that I am surprised you have so much trouble with your eyes. I have glaucoma so I think I can partly understand your difficulty. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EG. Love the snowy picture on you place today.

      Delete
  24. What an abundance of beautiful and interesting photos! So much to take in...
    Maybe it's more a reflection of my own sorrow over the plight of tigers - whether endangered in the wild, captive in zoos, or exploited in circuses and roadside attractions - but Suzi looks sad in that first photo. She's so beautiful, I hope wherever she is now she is cared for with love, respect and compassion, as all our fellow beings should be.
    All of your bird photos are glorious, but my favorites are the closeup of the Trumpeter Swan (glorious!) and the baby Towhee. We have Rufous-sided Towhees here, and my are they verbal! :-) I love their intriguing red eyes. I love your relationship with that baby. :-) The Varied Thrush and Caspian Terns are beautiful too!
    Love your powwow pictures, and your scenery shots are great - but that last photo is particularly outstanding! You'd never know from your photos that you have eye trouble, you have an unerring eye for great photos! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laloofah for that lovely comment. I appreciate it so much. I love how you photoshopped those two photos today.

      Delete
  25. Nora, what a really wonderful post! I've never seen a Varied Thrush and would love to! All of the images are great. The mountains, water, woods.....all just fantastic!
    Since you haven't been able to find any Brown Pelicans, I posted some for you.

    --Wally in Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wally, you can have the pelicans back that you sent up here. We have about 11 pelicans standing on a buoy at our inner harbour in the cold, wet rain!!I think Wally sent them here!!

      Delete
  26. Wow...wonderful series. I love the tiger and I know they are threatened in so many areas due to habitat loss and hunting. It is a shame for these big, beautiful cats.. Love all the other photos and perfect for Nature Notes...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs, Michelle. Michelle is the goddess of nature.

      Delete
  27. So weird to see white swans - downunder all the native wild ones are black!! But at least our Caspian terns are the same ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red, your site is amazing with the little colorful honey eaters.

      Delete
  28. Oh the tiger is beautiful! He looks very gentle.

    ReplyDelete
  29. These photos are all spectacular in detail and composition. Each one is special. Kate, ABC TEAM

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous critters and nature photos.

    Catching up with all the T entries.

    Travels & Wandering
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your post is an absolute multi-course feast of natural beautify, birds and interesting events. Most enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Nora, greetings from Northern Ontario. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  33. An amazing collection of photos! The huge trees are wonderful as are all your birds and the tiger shots.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your photos are beautiful the tigers are wonderful

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click for Index

COPYRIGHT