Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Monday, December 31, 2012

Year in Photo Review




HAPPY NEW YEARS!!  Today just a few photos to continue my review of the year 2012. Last January, 2012, we had a lot of snow.  So far this month we have not had any snow and it has been very mild.  The photo above is of the Trumpeter Swans behind the Red Barn. They were backlit so it is a moody shot.  It was a very cold day and the swans were quite close to me.
Above here is when we went up to Beaver Lake in the snow and there was this young girl skiing around the trails. Not many people were out in the snow as driving was difficult. If you are on the main page you must click "read more"  and you will see all the photos and the rest of this post...please continue reading...


This photo is of my husband at Goldstream Park in January, 2012, where the trees can be 300 years old.  This was January and the snow was really deep.  It was fun to walk in the empty park.  It was so serene with the snow covering everything up like a blanket and it was so quiet.
Here is the waterfront during a big storm.  We had a few big wind storms last year.  It is hard to get out of the car when the wind is blowing this hard.
When the snow all melted the waterfall at Witty's Lagoon was pounding. I really like the light on the mossy trees in this shot.  I had to climb around on a cliff to get this shot.
This is my son's cat, Timmy, who came to visit us. She is so cute. I took way too many photos of her.
Can you spot the little tree frog hiding in the leaves.  This was at Oak Haven park. Such a tiny perfect little creature.  I wonder what his life is like.
We found a few Pileated Woodpeckers up at the lake. Later on I would find their nest and their babies and have the great joy of photoing the babies.
We went for a drive to Jordan River and watched the surfers in February. The surfers are a happy group when the winter waves come in. It is always fun to be around them.
This is an unhappy stump on the trail to Sandcut beach. Sometimes I feel like this also. The weather has been very dark and rainy so I have not been able to take any photos and I get cranky like this stump. I also feel silent lately and lacking of intelligent text, I blame it on the weather.
Below is a Peacock at Beacon Hill Park in February. They are very tame.
Cedar Waxwing out at Sidney in April feasting on berries. They appeared to be quite drunk.
The ducks were splashing in the water at Kings Pond enjoying a sunny warm day in May.

We walked out to Fisgard Lighthouse and saw a cruise ship in dockyard. This was taken on a dark day and it was really late in the day so the light was terrible. I am always chasing the light.  It is true that it does not matter what your subject is, in photography it is all about the light. This shot is looking across from the lighthouse area.
This was at the Migratory bird day up at Beaver Lake in May. I really enjoyed that and can't wait for it to come again.

The spring flowers finally came out.  Yay it was Spring!

The Robins were busy getting their worms.
My Goldfinches returned to me and made sweet songs for me to enjoy.
They were busy discussing nesting arrangements in my backyard. Later they would bring in the babies and show them around.
The brant were out at Island View Beach.....
Gosh I only got as far as Spring and I am overrun with photos!! Will  have to continue this theme on in a later posting. I hope everyone has a safe and happy New Years.  

ABC Wednesday is at the letter "y" for Year and this was part of my Year in Review.

One of my posts took off last week with an incredibly high amount of hits, now things are back to my normal low amount of hits. I was popular for one day!! I usually do not even look at my stats as I prefer comments over hits.
I think it was the post on the Pelicans.

Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.

The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday







 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.








30 comments:

Sylvia K said...

More wonderful looks at your amazing and delightful world!! If we take the time to look around us, we all have wonderful worlds, different, but wonderful!! Enjoy your New Year!!

Sylvia

Roy Norris said...

Some really fabulous images Nora.
Have a great 2013.

Gary said...

Great series. Happy New year from Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Anni said...

I am partial to bird photos...that woodpecker close-up is marvelous. Well, heck...ALL your bird photos are superb. And the kitty's golden eyes are mesmerizing. Not to forget the 'grumpy stump'! ;o)

Thanks for linking up at the Bird D'Pot this week. Have a happy new year celebration.

Karen said...

Great shots from throughout the year!

MTWaggin said...

Amazing photos and so glad you are reviewing your year since I missed all of it with your blog, just finding you last week!

eileeninmd said...

Wow, awesome collection of photos! The birds are cool and great sightings. I wish you all the best in 2013! Happy New Year!

mick said...

Best wishes for the new year. You have a great series of interesting photos here but my favorite is the grumpy tree stump!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Wonderful images and a nice way to look back on the year. Happy New Year to you.

Snail said...

What a lovely selection of photos, Nora.

Happy new year to you!

Tricia said...

Some wonderful pictures as usual Nora.. Happy New Year to you...

ladyfi said...

What lovely shots! Wishing you a wonderful year ahead.

Indrani Ghose said...

Great series of pictures.
A Very Happy New Year to you!

makiejl.com said...

Wonderful!! Happy New Year!

Roger Owen Green said...

photogenic YEAR!
Happy New Year!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Leslie: said...

The year 2012 in review - great idea. Hope you continue into 2013! Happy New Year!

Leslie
abcw team

Mama Zen said...

Stunning photos!

Island Rambles Blog said...

thank you all for these wonderful and greatly appreciated comments....I have chosen to visit your blogs and leave a note there as it takes so much time to leave a note as well on my blog.

Ann said...

Spring flowers? Wow. It was coldest winter in Ontario at this time.

Stewart M said...

Hi there - any year that contains a Pileated Woodpecker has got to be a good year in my opinion! Great Bird.

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW

Stewart M - Melbourne

Janet said...

I do believe you live in Nature Paradise! What a wonderful year you had taking photos.

Chubskulit Rose said...

The spring flowers are gorgeous!

Y is for...
Happy New Year!
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

Neil said...

Great series and Happy New Year.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Lovely photo presentation!!! Happy New Year~

Black Jack's Carol said...

This is a wonderful review of 2012 up until Spring! So many outstanding photos.. perhaps the Pileated Woodpecker stands out, but your son's cat and the scenery shots are amazing too. I have a special place in my heart for Witty's Lagoon. We've just been there twice. I look forward to Summer and Fall :) In the mean time, I hope 2013 has you crawling over rocks and creeks to capture many more waterfalls :)

Rambling Woods said...

Wow Nora..what a wonderful year and I just posted about the pileated I saw, but have no photos.. Here we go into 2013..hope we both end on a happier and healthier note .. Michelle

Larry said...

What a great year Nora! All super photos, my favorite would have to be the young trainer with the Turkey Vulture but I really like the mossy trees and the close-up of the Pileated Woodpecker is excellent!

Pat Tillett said...

Wow! What a great and varied group of beautiful photos! I just love all the different colors that birds have.

Jennifer said...

Please join us each Friday for Photog Friday at www.photogfriday.blogspot.com
for those who enjoy and want to share beautiful photography. Share your photos from the week and connect with other photogs.

And be sure to sign up on our site to get an email notice when the next Photog Friday is live.

Amargyla Outhavarium said...

wow.. realy amazing photos..

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS