Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Monday, January 07, 2013

Zoom in on Nature



 I think the title of this blog really should be zoom in on birds!  You can click on them and they will be larger in the lightbox.  Golden Eagle and Snowy Owl above.  I am doing the word ZOOM for Z which is the end of this cycle of ABC Wednesday. The mature Snowy is more white.
 Golden Eagle

 Ok now I admit that I am not actually sure what some of the rest of the birds are so I am guessing and hoping someone will identify them in the comments.  All these bird photos were taken at the Raptor Center in Duncan and I did not take notes of what they were. These are all from the live bird demonstrations that they do there.
 Harris Hawk and Bald Eagle.
 I think this might be a Saker Falcon above.
 I think this might be a Ferruginous Hawk and Saker Falcon.
 Barn Owl below. I think this might be a Gyrfalcon above.
I hope you enjoyed this zoom into birds....a zoom lens gives us a wonderful peek into the lives of birds and nature.    

Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not enter them all but like to link to them anyway.



The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday







 
edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer as my eyes get tired. Such is life. To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.




39 comments:

  1. Whoa! Each a beauty!
    Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful upclose bird shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what it is about snowy owls, i feel such an affinity with them that it probably is my totem bird.
    Affinity in a spiritual sense, as far as I can tell, I am definitely not a raptor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bird shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous shots! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, amazing closeups! The Snowy owl is my favorite. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - amazing and magical shots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great close ups!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible and creative photography ~ Wow!

    A Creative Harbor) aka ArtMuseDog and Carol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those shots are amazing. Maybe you ought to ask the centre if they would like to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome captures of incredible, beautiful birds!! Always a delight to visit your blog and be able to enjoy your photography! I do love the owls, but they are all gorgeous in their own way! Hope your week is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful close ups of the raptors Nora! Raptors are notoriously difficult to ID with their different plumages, especially without seeing the entire bird or knowing its size. Your Ferruginous Hawk is correct with its long yellow gape and rufous shoulders but I think your Gyrfalcon is a juvenile Prairie Falcon with that grayish-blue cere (skin around the eye). I have never seen the European Saker Falcon but I love the Snowy and the Golden Eagle. I wish we saw more Goldens in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super pictures all of them and I love how you grouped them together! You are indeed lucky to have the raptor center there to practice! I'd be there all the time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The barn owl is beautiful!


    Z is for...
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  16. I got a new camera with a great zoom lens, but it'a still not enough to really get up close to the birds!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you are ZOOMING in with the camera, rather than in person!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I've never seen ZOOM like this! Amazing! That's what I call Up Close and Personal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great close-up photos of all the birds. They look so majestic up close like that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are great shots! If only i can have those equipment for birding, i will be much happier! Might not have them so thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great sets if pictures - being able to to zoom in on the birds is great.

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  22. We live in the countryside and often hear a barn owl hooting through the night. Very very reassuring that the night is being watched.
    Denise ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW, a lot of great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful! love the close ups especially the second one on the right and the falcons.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those are wonderful! You are having a great time with your zoom lens -- and you're very talented. Thanks for sharing. The zoomed in really does show off their eyes -- and therefore their personality (at least it seems like that to me)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nora, that was really nice to have you stop by my other blog (Got a Minute or Two) It's always nice to meet new friends in Blog Land.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks so much for each of your comments. It is nice to meet new bloggers and see some visits from bloggers I knew long ago. I appreciate each comment, I will reply to each on your websites.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow how do you get so close to these beauties...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Birds or otherwise, your photos and fantastic! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loved zooming in on all the Raptors. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! These are stellar shots. Combining birding with photography is one of my favorite things in life. Happy shooting!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for visiting and your lovely comment! Your side of the world has always intrigued me - I grew up on Attenborough trials of life and the Orcas!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So beautiful picture, beautiful and majestic birds.
    Marit.
    http://frumarit.blogspot.no/2013/01/vinter-himmel.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful selection of raptors and it is always nice to get a look at their faces and those beaks.. hope things are going OK for you Nora... hugs..Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click for Index

COPYRIGHT