Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I only put a few posts on the first page. Please click "Read More" to see all of each post. Also click "older posts" under the comments or see the archives at the side, labels below post and older Index. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

FOLLOW MY BLOG

To follow click on badge on the sidebar or here.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Impossible Life




"Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead."  Louisa May Alcott.  (These are our sunflowers in the garden last year, they were supposed to be small.)



Fear......


Illuminate...
“I must say a word about fear. It is life's only true opponent. Only fear can defeat life. It is a clever, treacherous adversary, how well I know. It has no decency, respects no law or convention, shows no mercy. It goes for your weakest spot, which it finds with unnerving ease. It begins in your mind, always ... so you must fight hard to express it. You must fight hard to SHINE THE LIGHT of words upon it. Because if you don't, if your fear becomes a wordless darkness that you avoid, perhaps even manage to forget, you open yourself to further attacks of fear because you never truly fought the opponent who defeated you.”  Yann Martel, Life of Pi  (It looks like a good movie from this book, have you seen it?)

We are all born innocent
 
Innocence
These are the lambs that were just born here a few weeks ago.  They run to the fence to greet us because our truck looks like the farmers who feeds them.  The little lambs are so playful.
 
This week is "i" at ABC meme so a few "i" words are mixed in.
 
 
 
My Impossible Life
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."  Arthur C. Clarke (This is the hummer
who sits on my deck rope and grooms)
 
A perfect tiny itch.....the inaudible movement....

 
If you click on the pictures they get much larger and look better. All the photos are taken on Vancouver Island.

 Imitation is easy.... 
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."  Confucius 
hmmmm, does the experience to learn wisdom always need to be
bitter,  .....please can some wisdom come with fun....love fun!
 

This is a photo above of the indigenous peoples of my area on a healing canoe journey, a few years ago they landed on the beach I lived nearby.  
 

Some cultures teach the importance of courage and sing and dance about it. It takes courage to survive....cheerfully without becoming sad or bitter.

Courage....
"The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty and Truth." Albert Einstein
 
 
This above is the same beach where I used to live and the mountain is Mount Baker in Washington State, USA.
 
 
Infinity at China Beach, B.C. above.......it feels like you are on the edge of infinity there.....it is very isolated and impressive. Incomparable and immutable. It is easy to imagine what it would have been like years ago as it is the same from time immemorial.

 
A walk in the rain the other day produced some kelp on the beach at Island View Beach and our first midday low tide.  We have had a lot of rain so I put a plastic cover over the camera and got a few shots.



 “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” Confucius
 

 Immerge from within or Immerge to within.....
“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.”   Confucius

(These re the pussy willows that are at my duck pond, they are starting to come out, yay!!!)




“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Confucius  (This is a stump covered with icy frost out at Goldstream Park, soon

another small tree will grow from within it and it will rise high above the forest again if
we protect it.)
 
Inventors.....
"We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities." Ralph Waldo Emerson
This photo below is also from the same beach where I used to live, it was near a sailing club.
 
Personal Note:  I am sailing on a voyage of some kind of discovery
 
As you can see I am still going through some kind of writer's block where I seem to just put in quotes and pictures. I feel it is incomplete and incompetent of me. This always passes in time.  Hope you all have a great week and look forward to seeing your posts
It is "i" week at ABC meme so a variety of "I" words today and a few
birdies for my birdy memes.
Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.

The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday







 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.



52 comments:

  1. Superb, colorful captures and a beautiful way to end my day and start my tomorrow!!! Thanks, Nora!! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the adorable lambs and the cute hummingbird. Love the view of Mt Baker. Wonderful post and photos. Wishing you a happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the variety of your pictures. There is just so much beauty around and all we need to do is open our eyes to see. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, well you may have writer's block but thankfully not image block. What a great group of photographs. Lots going on in your world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog today from a comment you made on a mutual friend, the name drew me in, such beautiful photos, such a beautiful part of Canada, I love in Ontario, I also have eye trouble, I have enjoyed my visit very much and will be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Laurie, wow ...I am so inspired by your site and your art and your writing. Thanks for leading me in there...I followed.

      Delete
  6. Don't worry about your writer's block - we all get it! Meanwhile, I'm enjoying all your wonderful shots - love the sunflowers and the image of the healing canoe trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks wonderful ladyfi of the magical north.

      Delete
  7. Well, I enjoyed the pictures and the quotes very much. As for the "writers' block" I remember my old art teacher telling me that the time when you're really making progress is when you tear things up before getting them finished; that's when you're being critical of your own work and striving for improvement. I don't know if it's true but it makes you feel a whole lot better about the stuff in the waste bin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John what a surprise!!! I know you quit blogging several months ago. Are you coming back, hope so. You were one of our best story tellers.
      Thanks for the art teachers wisdom, it must be true.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful photos. Thanks and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Benita from so far away, across the world and yet your blog is so close. So we time travel together.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful images with lovely thoughts- nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks creative Pam, you have some great pics today.

      Delete
  10. There is nothing wrong with quotes when they move you and apparently those do. You know, sometimes, you just don't need to write words at all either. Thanks Nora for the comment on my new lens....I'm excited! I love your shots of the lambs (they are the most fun to watch aren't they) and well, the hummers are always a favorite of mine and you all get so many more than we do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wooopeee MsWaggin has a new lens.....look out for those far off shots now. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  11. Once again - a great series of photos. I especially like the little hummingbird using that long beak to preen. I posted a much bigger bird preening with a similarly long beak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mick has all the shorebirds over at his blog and he is not sharing them. We have no shorebirds here. He must send some over.. He got some great amazing close ups.

      Delete
  12. What an interesting place to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much ...another island, on a far off tropical island I think. All islands are a wonder.

      Delete
  13. Amazing shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have incredible variety of shots. I like the little lambs, wish I could pick one and cuddle it. Great timing f capture of the itching humming bird. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Indrani, I wish I understood that Fstop better, I think it is my downfall as I never get the correct shutter speed or get the Fstop right for landscapes.

      Delete
  15. lovely shots. the sunflowers are so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your photos! They are worth 1000 words!

    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great collection!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photos are wonderful as always... but I especially loved the one of Infinity at China Beach. We'll only have one day in Vancouver, but I hope we get to see one of your beautiful beaches.

    As for *fear*, I found when going through a difficult time, that the quote, "Replace fear with love" helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful shots of nature. I love the little lambs and the North American Wood Duck. Your words and images inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many beautiful photos, Nora, and I love the Island. But the Mount Baker photo caught my eye, as I lived in White Rock for 30 years. You must have been on the Boundary Bay peninsula, because you got more of the mountains beyond Baker. Gorgeous!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you understate your creativity at the end. Very creative and INSPIRATIONAL. I started thinking of FDR's 4 freedoms, e.g.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderfully meaningful post.. and so many really cheery photos, Nora... we could do with a bit of cheeriness over here in the UK... winter just won't go away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia that is a lot of history on your site today about St. Marys and St. Brides. It is so easy for you to get a great shot as you have 2,000 years of hisory right in front of you and you have the written history with all the names we just read about here in history books or see on tv. sigh.

      Delete
  23. Simply magical. Love the bird images, of course, but what a fun, interesting post all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anni for being such a good host to us all.

      Delete
  24. Wow! Beautiful and excellent photos and quotes for ABC ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love to read about and see photos about your adventures in Vancouver, B.C. Canada. I will always leave your blog with inspiration and courage to face the day. Thank you for posting this today. I needed these words so much.
    JM Illinois
    U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous and colorful pictures !
    Gattina
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks to all of you who have commented here today. I will try my best to visit each of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nora..I think that your ability to put together these posts with quotes and photos is not the result of a writer's block.. I think it is clever and creative and you share your area of Canada so well. Thank you for linking into this week's Nature Notes.. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Michelle, this seems to be all I can do lately and I am not sure what I am even doing here... it is a mess,it is a creative process....starts out messy, I am wanting to share the images/messages with my reader-friends but not lose control of them like once before all my images were taken and republished by some other blogger..so I am just going forward..day by day... hope all is going o.k. for you. hugs.

      Delete
  29. Nora, I love the native people of your area as well as that lovely view of mt.Baker. China beach is like some of my favourite beaches here, where We have an uninterrupted view towards Antarctica. Just me and the sea roaring into infinity.
    A lovely post and I know all about writer's block. The last couple of years while I took care of my husband with Alzheimers, the written part of my blog became quite mundane. Even now, when he is in a nursing home, I have not written a poem or readable prose. Be tranquil and play.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi there - very nice pictures of the hummers - I love to see one.

    Hope the block passes.

    Cheers and thinks for linking to WBW

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous!

    Internet is a Blessing

    Catching up with letter i entries.
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  32. I enjoyed this post so much, thank you so much for your visit to my blog,

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice photos. Love nature photography.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You have wonderful photos. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  35. THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THESE WONDERFUL COMMENTS ON MY EFFORTS.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click for Index

TO CONTINUE CLICK 'OLDER POST' ABOVE HERE OR CLICK ON THE ARCHIVE ON THE SIDE OR --OLDER INDEX OF BLOG PAGES
©all rights reserved on all images and text

COPYRIGHT