Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Great Horned Owls Victoria




Planter Box Owls in Victoria, B.C.


Only Great Horned Owl babies today.  These are the Planter Box owlets. These two shots were taken in the sun so the light was really good for the long lens.  They are so cute and seem to like to cuddle and hug each other a lot.




They are getting really big now.


These shots were taken in the rain so they are not that great. You can see the rain drops in it below.


This is the "o" week at the ABC Meme so I thought I would put in some of the owlet pictures.
 


The mother owl made a nest in January in a Planter Box in the front of a large building.  This was the warmer side of the building I guess.  She raised the babies there. When they were ready she gradually moved them to the back of the building where she gets her food supply.  Mostly rats.  There are trees and a river back there also.


This one seems to kiss his mom.


Now he seems to want to stretch his wings and mom is in the way.


This is his fierce look.  I think two of babies are female and one is a male as the male is smaller.

Google was blocked from Vancouver Island all day by our provider so I did not get much of a blog written. They fixed it now. I am sick anyway so I did not do a big blog. Hope everyone has a better week this week and I hope the warmer weather comes to your area.


Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.  Thanks to Mrs. Nesbitt and Roger for ABC Wednesday.  Thanks to each of the hosts below for providing a meme for bloggers.

The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday







 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.



51 comments:

  1. Fantastic shots! That's just awesome! I wish I could find owls like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I do LOVE your owls! Marvelous captures, Nora! Hope your week is off to a great start!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my... fabulous captures! How lucky you are to see these beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow - what lovely and adorable shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wonderful series of photos of the owls. You have been very fortunate to be able to see them and record them at different stages of their development and also to show some of their interactions. Thanks for sharing with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic shots of the owls and an interesting post. I had to get a new computer (mine died this weekend) so I can relate to your google issue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen so many together.
    I am stunned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The images are unbelievably picture post card perfect Nora!! Wow [my personal blog is titled Hootin' Anni's so.......these owls are greater than great]

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are so cute... great captures!
    Warm greetings from Holland,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! these owls in the beginning almost look like they posed for you ~ Gorgeous photography of some of nature's gems for Nature Notes ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol I am one of the ones that can't comment on your blog as you have gone to the Google+ side, right now the comment form is not working for those of us back on old Blogger. I will email you.

      Delete
  12. Are you kidding this was a GREAT blog. Perfect O topic and the photos are amazing. I'm totally jealous! I got to see and touch my first great horned owl at the vet last week. Soo amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures of this owl family. Hope you are feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Nora, hope you feel better soon!

    Fantastic owl pictures!! I am SO jealous!

    Take care and I'll send our tropic air your way.

    -- Wally (Birding Addict In Florida)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great bird-post!
    Happy WBW!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw a Great Horned Owl last week while walking the puppy near my village. I thought at first it was a hawk sitting up in the tree, but as I moved closer I could see its head and it looked right down at me! I was so disappointed that I hadn't taken my camera that day.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, these are awesome. For me any kind of owl sighting is cool. And these owlets are adorable. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. those OWLS are a hOOt!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry you are feeling under the weather but I do love seeing the owletts and their cuddling.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing shots, thanks for sharing them with us.
    An Arkies Musings

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so lucky to have had this wonderful 'birding' experience in the city. Marvelous shots.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow Nora..these are wonderful photos of the GH owl babies..wonderful.. I hope you feel better soon..hugs..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much for this response, I will try to get to each of your amazing sites
    over the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, these photos are amazing! The owlets cuddling is just priceless! They do seem to pick such interesting places to have their babies! Take care & keep well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love your photos! i've never seen a group of owls before. the second photo is quite special--they look so adorable snuggling at each other.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome series. They're so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I post some pictures of some tiny little specks of colour and you post these - and then you claim my birds are more exotic!!

    What great birds.

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  28. O my goodness! Owls enjoying a close cuddle! That is an amazing sight! Adore this series of fascinating photos!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  30. HOW I love owls and these owlets are just the cutest.
    So sorry you are not well, hope you are back to perfect health asap.
    Hugs and Blessings . . . Arija

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, look at those little fluff balls.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I took great pleasure in looking at your owl photos. Highlight of my day!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great captures of these incredibly fluffy looking owls! Love your blog, Nora.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yeah, so marvelous, so happy you got to view and photograph these darlings. I am to go back Friday and visit a single Great Horned Owl again. I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  35. We went for a walk in a woods near Coventry today and we could hear an owl but could not see it. No worries...come home and find your great shots for 'O'. Great timing :).

    ReplyDelete
  36. Must be frustrating not to have internet access, even worse to be sick! Hope you're feeling better soon! These are beautiful shots! I actually have never seen an owl, so I'm envious about what you saw:):)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fabulous shots! I am absolutely green with envy. LOL

    Thanks for the story of the owls, too. I really enjoyed this post - and I do hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  38. They are beautiful!

    OUTSTANDING

    I may be always late in commenting, but I am trying to catch up.
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, I guess bloggers love owls like I do. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very cute and kinda grouchy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  41. These are unbelievably cute! Awesome creatures and photography. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  42. These babies are precious! Makes one feel wonderful to see them! And I have to add, your blog is so cheerful with it's bright pretty colors and background. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I cannot believe how wonderful it must have been to see these owls and take their photos!! Just amazing and truly beautiful birds and photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What beautiful birds and photographs! I cannot fathom how amazing it must have been to both witness them and get such photos!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Which chance, attractive series ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  46. What wonderful birds!! and gorgeous pics of them..

    ReplyDelete
  47. There is something about owls!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Once again I can rely on the support of my blog friends to drop by and cheer me up with lovely comments. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS