Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

The New and The Old

 Northern B.C.

 Now here we are with some new and some old, nostalgic photos from the past.  Some are taken with the new tiny Panasonic FZ200, some were taken by my husband nearly nine years ago, some taken recently by me.  Join me in my nostalgia. (using up the "N" words for ABC Wednesday). There are numerous photos in this post so I put in a break.

Nootka Sound
 I just want the world to give nature the opportunity to survive.Freddy Mella


"I have a lot of concerns that you're taking away from nature what nature gave to us."
Barbara James

Cowichan Moon Night Shot

See how nature - trees, flowers, grass - grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...we need silence to be able to touch souls.” Mother Teresa of Calcutta


 Northern B.C.
We are celebrating nature and the natural world today.
“Science will never be able to reduce the value of a sunset to arithmetic. Nor can it reduce friendship to formula. Laughter and love, pain and loneliness, the challenge of beauty and truth: these will always surpass the scientific mastery of nature.”
Dr. Louis Orr


  near Port Renfrew, B.C.
"May the stars carry your sadness away, May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, May hope forever wipe away your tears, And, above all, may silence make you strong." Chief Dan George


The Name is Nootka Sound
Every act of rebellion expresses a nostalgia for innocence and an appeal to the essence of being.
Albert Camus
Nuthatch in the Neighbourhood
 
Intelligence is the most powerful tool we humans have and also the Raven.

Tiny Anna's Hummingbird nest in our old apple tree.  Some of these photos are repeats as I forget what I have put in.


“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will . . .”
 Charlotte Bronte

Planter box owlets getting so big now.
 
Birds have a Nictitating membrane that covers their eyes and this makes it easy to fly in the rain....and for other things too. 

Words, like nature, half reveal and half conceal the soul within.”Alfred Lord Tennyson 
 
These words on my blog only reveal half of my soul but that is probably enough.  The photos below were taken a long time ago at the  Royal B.C. Museum, found them in an old camera, Canon Power Shot. 




“If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know you will fear. What one fears one destroys.”
― Dan George, native leader



“The most common trait of all primitive peoples is a reverence for the life-giving earth, and the Native American shared this elemental ethic: The land was alive to his loving touch, and he, its son, was brother to all creatures.” Stewart L. Udall


Nakusp B.C.
 

 Northern Pintail Esquimalt Lagoon
 

Our Legislature on a nebulous day.
 

 Went to Sombrio to see the surfers.  I was wondering if it is correct to spell narly or correct to spell it gnarly.....I thought it meant great like in ``narly waves man!``  but it means difficult I think now.

There is that desire to go surf the waves by yourself, just you and nature and I will never do it again, never.Davis Bunn


I am more and more convinced that our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves.Karl Wilhelm von Humboldt

Butchart Gardens now
 
I wonder what Jennie Butchart would think if she saw the people from all over the world that come to visit and sit in her garden and have tea and scones there.  I think part of her soul is in her garden. 


“Life is the soul's nursery –It is a training place for the destinies of eternity.”
William Makepeace Thackeray


my favorite nursery stump Goldstream Park
I feel like a nonentity lately so I am back to putting in other writers quotes.

"The sky is held up by the trees.
If the forest disappears, the sky-roof of the world collapses.
Nature and man then perish together."
Anand Singh


Thank you for reading this long narrative post. Have a Great Week!
Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.

The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday







 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.
 
Please leave a comment note for me. See you Next Week.
Goodnight.


50 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Sunsets and sunrises are some of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth, hope the weather there improves.

      Delete
  2. another smorgasbord of beautiful photoraphs Nora; thanks for sharing; they're all lovely to see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is a lovely beach and gull on your page.

      Delete
  3. Both shots are incredible! Sky shots are some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori, if you click "read more" there are about as many photos as on yours!!!

      Delete
  4. such beautiful photos, nature at its finest for sure,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie, glad to see you back and making a journal. I see you are at Google+, I want to but not sure yet.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos Nora and N is for Nora!!! :) The museum photos remind me of my visit there last summer, what an amzing place! Loved Victoria!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MT, the museum is a great place.

      Delete
  6. Lovely series of quotes and photos. Being a nature nut myself, I thoroughly enjoyed this post and your photos. The Butchart Gardens look beautiful and I love all the birds. Thanks for sharing your world, have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nature at it's finest indeed! Beautiful captures, Nora! I do particularly love the sky and water shots! Glorious! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Sylvia, you have some good shots of Belleview.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome series of shots. You have a good collection. The shot of the stump stumped me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Indrani, many of our old stumps become the nursery for a new little tree to grow, usually the stump will rot away into the soil, this one never does.

      Delete
  10. What lovely shots. Gorgeous blossoms and stunning skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for sharing your trip to Paris.

      Delete
  11. Such a great variety in this post but I think the photos of water - lakes, sea, rivers, - are the most beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mick, cool photos of the shorebirds.

      Delete
  12. wow what amazing tree roots! I love your scenes and beautiful skys.
    Have a wonderful week. I am joining you through Our World Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill has an incredible photo site with lots of helpful info.

      Delete
  13. They are beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun has a wonderful post on a 900 year old castle.

      Delete
  14. That stump is incredible. And the garden scene is so pretty with all the pink blossoms. Your bird photos...I love 'em. I think the hummingbird in the nest would have to be a favorite of mine. I just found one myself this past couple of days, first time ever to find a nest with a hummingbird in it!!! Nature is so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hootin Anni. Glad you found a hummer nest...they are so difficult to find unless the hummer leads you into one.

      Delete
  15. What beautiful shots and I loved each and every shot!Have a great day!

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shantana NatureStop. Lovely waterfall photos on your blog.

      Delete
  16. The old becomes new again, sometimes.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. take care Rog, go and see the doctor now.

      Delete
  17. Magnificent photography ~ love the owl ~ Great post for N for ABC ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lovely tribute to those in Boston at Carol's site. Such sad news this week. Hope for World Peace.

      Delete
  18. Nora, your photos are stunning. You've captured some beautiful places, and I am awed at the close up of the nuthatch. I've tried to photograph nuthatches around my home, but they take flight before I can snap a picture. The Butchart Gardens is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many of my favourite things here that I could sing. Hummingbirds nesting in my apple tree is something i can but dream of, likewise owlets hatching in a planter box. The native American philosophy I have always identified with. As with our native Aborigines here, I belong to the land, the land does not belong to me. What Jennie Butchard made of the disused quarry has turned into one of the great gardens of the world. That is my way of living too. Take a scarred piece of earth and restore and transform it into something beautiful. A long, but lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful quotes and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A natural choice for this week! Nicely done...

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your beautiful sunset and poem about silence. Thanks for visiting my blog with photos of Tasmania where I spent my holiday in December. I often travel to Australia, where my youngest daughter lives. It is a pity that it is so far away.
      Have a great day!
      Wil, ABCW Team

      Delete
  22. Many beautiful photos, I like them all. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful BC! Gorgeous sky shots. I've been in Nakusp a few times, taking the ferry.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, thank you for sharing all these! It was a feast, and can't even make up my mind about "favorites" But then, I know I don't have too! Have a great rest of the week:):)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a gorgeous collection of N scenery.
    Love them and all the quotes too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Butchart garden blossom is stunning. A beautiful walk though nature with your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice to see Butchart Gardens. It's been a while since I've been there. Beautiful sunset shots. Visiting from Sweet Shot Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  28. As usual, you have offered a treasure chest of images and thoughts. How nice that we may pick and choose what we like and there is still plenty left for others to do the same.

    Take care, Nora!

    (Wally in Springtime Florida)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for all your comments and visits from all of you....it has been a sad week in the news this week so your blogs and comments have been so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I so love your end of our land! I mean, your photos, too!
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful shots! Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful as usual!

    rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh beautiful series..I love the quotes you picket out..hugs..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks to my loyal readers for coming by to see what I do each week.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS