Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, May 20, 2013

Sweet Things in Life


              Smell the Roses
There are so many sweet things in life.  Life is just full of sweet things.  Is that why I am here, to see so many sweet, sweet things. I love the smell of roses in the spring time.

                                              New Life Is Beginning
A child posing in the flowers for me is so sweet.

                                         Strong Stems from the Earth
Strong, healthy stems on the tulips for me to see. New life abundantly
covers the earth, repeating its natural cycle whether we are here or not.

I will miss so many sweet things when I leave this existence.  I have become familiar with my body, my mind and my soul here in this dimension.  I cling to the safety and security of what I am conscious of.

They say we are self-aware and this is what separates us from the animals. We have this large frontal lobe and the meta-awareness that we are aware that we are aware of self.

Sheep Aware or not aware
 
We are just a drop of water that falls into the sea. Sombrio beach below.
 
 
We are truly asleep in our existence here.  We are mostly in a Beta state doing chores and rarely in Alpha unless in a sleep cycle.  Between Alpha and Beta there is a fine line or border where you can have self awareness in your dreams.  Our biological brain is so slow, in the future we will be connected to computers and our brain will be expanded this way.  Even now we use the search engines which are a form of artificial intelligence.


It is "s" week at the ABC meme so I have included some of  "s" wording, like the sleeping puppy.

 
Surfer riding the waves at Sombrio Beach. And  sentimental pictures of the Stilts from Maber flats last year, below as I miss them so much this year.
I got so attached to that place and to the Stilt family.



 
 Here is the ghostly white Fox Sparrow from Hyacinth park. 

 
A family of Trumpeter Swans from out in Sidney, they remained in this field for a long time until all the siblings were ready to fly away.

 
Golden-crowned Sparrow from Swan Lake below.


Song Sparrow from Swan Lake also.


Red-bellied Sap Sucker from Goldstream Park.

 
Spotted Sandpiper from Maber flats last year which is drained now and no birds can survive there without water.



Seagulls having a ballup feeding of herring or needle fish taken from the boat out off Sidney.


The Caspian Terns at Sidney spit.

 
Owlets having a big stretching session.



Sea life...sea urchin.

Serenity at Uplands Park above full of camus flowers now.


Shoveler with a sizeable beak.

Splish splash I am having a bath.

Sombrio beach with the summer wind blowing across the sea.



Below is a shed out in Sidney.


Local birding is very good right now so I am sorry I have not had the time to spend blogging lately as I am out in the field.  We have Kingbirds and Tanagers and Fly Catchers at Mount Tolmie.  We also have a Lazuli Bunting there.  As you know it takes time for me to get my pictures into the blog as I leave them on the card for a while.  Seems like Mount Tolmie is the hot spot for local birds this week.  We have met so many nice birders there as well.  Hope all my bloggers have a sensational week.  It is "S" week at ABC!


Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.

The Bird D'pot Thank you Anni
Our World Tuesday Thank you Jennifer
Sweet Shot Tuesday Thank you Kent
ABC Wednesday Thank you Denise, Roger and Team
Nature Notes Wednesday Thank you Michelle
Outdoors Wednesday Thank you Susan
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you Stewart






 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.


51 comments:

  1. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gary. Hope all is going well in Vermilon.

      Delete
  2. I especially liked the young stilts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole, your Aussie tour was really cool today.

      Delete
  3. The child stand before the garden is sweet. Great series, Nora!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I like that one also. I like your paintings Stephanie, keep doing them no matter what people say.

      Delete
  4. You see so much wild life during the week I am always amazed by the number of photos you publish. Each and everyone is excellent with very apt text.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fun, the text is very hard for me to do. I am socially inept, awkward and do not communicate well with humans, almost a recluse. I am better with nature and animals. I have so much I want to communicate but it is so difficult for me.

      Delete
  5. A terrific post, love the sapsucker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks pixel lady. Your photos today are stunners also.

      Delete
  6. oh my gosh I love this post, really love the owlets!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laurie, I find your writing to be better than any book I ever read. Loved the trap shed and the whole story of your dad. Your art is not your only gift.

      Delete
  7. What a great series of bird shots. Those tulips though - just sensational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my Swedish lady, I see you are in the pink blossoms of spring there now.

      Delete
  8. All beautiful photos! One after another...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat of the desert. Your RV door sunset picture is devine.

      Delete
  9. The birds are all gorgeous. It is a great time of year to be out birding. I love the tulips, they are beautiful. Wonderful series of images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nature Eileen...some good bird photos today on your page.

      Delete
  10. Y'know, I have seen 'gazillions' of stilts around here, but I have NEVER seen them laying down. Their pink legs are so long, it looked odd to see one with its legs tucked under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anni, this was the highlight of my National Geographic birding career, (ha ha) when I was sitting alone on a muddy bank and the Stilt came over and sat beside me, about two feet away, and remained for a LONG time!! We had some kind of intuitive conversation about her babies!
      I was trying to figure out how to set the long lens to such a close up!

      Delete
  11. Wonderful post. The animals are all a delight as well as the landscapes and other nature shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Carver, I enjoy your lush garden so much.

      Delete
  12. Oh my, you have been a busy little bunny! So many beautiful pictures and a nice philosophical treatise as well! Lately, i have been more aware of 'being' than ever before. It certainly is the way to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arija, glad you got that rare bird to come over for a photo.

      Delete
  13. So many wonderful shots! Love the fox sparrow and owlets. You have quite a large selection of birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My shots do not compare with Gails. Hers are way above my feeble attempts.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Hello to Hans in Norway! Professional photos there.

      Delete
  15. Once again a beautiful set of pictures. I am looking forward to seeing all those bird pictures you are getting now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, see you have had a lot of rain there.

      Delete
  16. beautiful photos and deep soul wisdom... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great series of photos again. I especially love your photos of the sea and the beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Nora..another wonderful post with touching nature photos..thank you for linking in..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. I published this blog before seeing the news here in Canada on the Oklahoma tornado. My heart goes out to those who were involved.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Replies
    1. Gunilla in Finland checking in here.

      Delete
  21. Cant help but like the shoveler! Great beak!

    No doubt that we have some remarkable animals in my next of the woods!

    Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aussie Stewart had lots of birds there.

      Delete
  22. nice set of pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete in England checking in with me. We have blogged together for around seven or eight years. I think his blog was the first one I read and commented on. I actually read his entire blog once.

      Delete
  23. All so very wonderful! The Owlets stretching is amazing, all of those new beautiful feathers~

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Nora I loved this series. It's wonderful how you can tie all the themes/memes together and make it like a wonderful story book every week. I don't know how you do it! All the pictures are great -- the tulips are just heart-stopping (I never see them growing any more, so I love when I see pictures)...and I've never in my life seen a stilt actually with its 'knees' bent like that. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The critters are amazing. Thank you for posting them. I've never seen some of them. I am always amazed with some of the beautiful beasts out there. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post, Nora!
    Of course, you're forgiven for any tardiness since you're out birding!!

    Love the Stilt pictures as we have found several nesting pairs in the past week. Hope to see chicks soon!

    Take care.

    -Wally in birdy Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the flowers and the little boy with his diaper top showing. Very cute and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So so sweet indeed! And so much to SAVOR! (Catching up after a week's break:) May you continue to enjoy sweet spring days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for your comments. I read them all.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS