Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

EXtra X Photos


Just time today for a few eXtra photos....we are coming to the end of this series of the ABC meme and we are at the letter "X" today.  Always a difficult one. Let me see what I can do this year.

 
 I got these photos this week up on Finlayson Mountain.
 

Here is a link to an eXcellent article on the X and y Chromosomes of birds and mammals.  bird chromosome article

 
 I got these photos in the back yard this week.


One year I did photos of X marks the spot. I found a Flicker nest up on Finlayson Mountain this week.
 

Then I did X for delete these photos one year.  I should delete this
Waxwing photo I got this week at Goldstream as it was too dark.


I got this Hummer in the backyard but I did not have my shutter speed high enough and it is a bit soft.




Then this could be a bird X-rated photo. (from the backyard feeder).



Then there is the Xanthic color of the Goldfinch. I got this photo of them kissing last year. Not a very eXciting posting for letter "X".

That is all I have for the letter "X".  I have made an Island Rambles
Page at facebook and if you want to you can give it a like. Perhaps I can make it more interactive once I get it set up I can add chat.



 Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.

The Bird D'pot Thank you Anni
Our World Tuesday Thank you Jennifer
Sweet Shot Tuesday Thank you Kent
ABC Wednesday Thank you Denise, Roger and Team
Nature Notes Wednesday Thank you Michelle
Outdoors Wednesday Thank you Susan
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you Stewart






 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.


71 comments:

Laura said...

so beautiful... really diving into work now... just like the honey bees in the bush outside my bedroom/office window... collecting, organizing sweetness to be made manifest in new forms:-)... and yes enjoying summer too!

Gary said...

Beautiful series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Karen said...

Lots going on in your yard! Great shots!

colleen said...

Beautiful zoom in!

HansHB said...

This a Perfect post for the bird theme!

mick said...

Your photos are always beautiful and you see such an interesting variety of birds.

eileeninmd said...

Cute series of birds. I love the hummers and the chickadee is adorable. Cool sighting of the Flicker and the Goldfinches kissing. Great post!

Carver said...

What a great idea for X week. Fantastic shots and I enjoyed the narrative. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

Roger Owen Green said...

Your pics are always great, but they ate eXtra special this week!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Kara said...

Beautiful shots! I've never seen a flicker before.

Indrani said...

Lovely pics, i liked the one of mom feeding her young one the best!

Marlee said...

I have never heard of a flicker before. Love his "animal print" feathers. All your pictures are awesome. ~Marlee, a bird lover.

Mama Zen said...

These are just gorgeous!

Leslie: said...

I always love your photos! They're eXtremely eXciting for you to capture, I'm sure.

Leslie
abcw team

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I think these are very creative to show the letter X.

Stephanie said...

Gorgeous shots!

ladyfi said...

These are such beautiful photos! Love the butterfly and the last photo of the goldfinches kissing...

TheChieftess said...

Love that top shot!!!

Neil said...

Beautiful series.

HOOTIN ANNI said...

Love 'em!! That one special photo of the mama [or daddy] feeding the youngster from the tree hollow is fantastic.

Anni @ I'd Rather B Birdin' AND Hootin' Anni

acreativeharbor.com said...

Really excellent photography of nature's beauties ~ Wow!

Sharon Wagner said...

Stunning!

Gillena Cox said...

nice!!!; my favorite's the humming bird; have a good Wednesday

much love...

Gunilla Bäck said...

Lovely shots!

Margaret Adamson said...

Hi Nora All wonderful shots. thanks for sharing. Margaret

MyMaracas said...

I think all your shots are keepers. I really like the flicker feeding its chick! What a great catch.

Joy said...

Gorgeous flicker photo with the hungry chick. I'll have to add that to the list of woodpeckers I did not know. What a lovely selection of birds and butterfly.

Rambling Woods said...

Oh how exciting to get a flicker feeding its young. I rarely see them here. Only a few times looking for ants...I did "like" your Facebook page too...Michelle

Pat Tillett said...

Great photos! All of them beautiful...

Light and Voices said...

Really a nice series of birds.
JM Illinois
U.S.A.

LONDONLULU said...

Oh you did gorgeously! A very lovely, fun X post - I adore those wonderful birds:)

Arija said...

love the feeding flicker and those canoodling gold finches . Really fun to see.

Stewart M said...

Great set of pictures - I took the darter from a boat - I think that often allows you to get a bit closer to the birds than normal.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Mary Howell Cromer said...

I love the ones that you captured of the young being fed!

Jennifer A. Jilks said...

We spent 3 1/2 days on your island and I didn't see too much. I did see an eagle, pigeons and crows. I was so happy to visit my son!
I love your island!
Cheers from Cottage Country!

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks Laura. You sound very busy!

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi Gary, hope you are enjoying the new camera. cheers.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi Karen...you have some great shots also!

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi Colleen...you have a lot of blogs!

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks Hans in Norway....really like your shots, and that avatar also.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi Mick, hope things are going well and you are out kayaking.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

I have enjoyed your travels Eileen.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi Carver...I wish I had your backyard...sooo many birds.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hey Rog, always enjoy your informative postings. A library of information here.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Yes it is a Norhern Flicker...we have a lot of them.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi Indrani, my blogger friend in India...I was so lucky to walk up and find this bird feeding her young...she was making a lot of noises telling me to go away and the baby was screaming "feed me mom".

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks Marlee...I enjoyed visiting your website as well. I am trying to put some new sites on my following list.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks Mama, I like the poems you write. Poetry is so forgotten now.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks Les, how is the puppy? I must go and see him.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi Ruth, I like the shots you did for your readers. I forget
to thank my readers and should do that soon.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

another island girl...thanks Steph.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

The lady of the north, LadyFiona of Sweden comes in. One of the best blogs we have on the net. It is on wordpress, perhaps I should switch to wordpress.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi to the Chief and the Chieftess. I will follow along with your adventures.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Neil is in Cooloola in Australia. Lots of birds there.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi hootin Anni, we used to have a Cougar Anni. Thanks for keeping the birders together.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Nice scenery at your place lately.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi Gunilla in Finland! Nice flower shots.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Say hello to me when you come next Jen. Is your son still here?

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hey Mary. Hope all is well there and you have a lot of hawks.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

cheers to Melbourne!

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Love those Aussi bloggers....Arija long time blogger.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hope all going good there Michelle..hugs.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Your paws are creative Sharon!

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Great ocean shot on your page Gillena.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks Margaret. You seen to be an avid birder.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

I like that one best also Maracas.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

I am thinking that the butterfly is a Swallowtail but I need to go look that up. Our Flickers are the Northern Flicker.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi Pat, hope you are off on a trip somewhere taking photos.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

I like how you have your location on your comment. I wonder if I should do that.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi London. Hope you are getting a lot of good shots for us bloggers.

EG CameraGirl said...

I think your photos are always wonderful. I LOVE the flicker shot especially!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS