Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Waxwings Birding Victoria, B.C.

 
 
Birding in Victoria, B.C. 
Vancouver Island Birding is still really great.  We found a pair of Wonderful Cedar Waxwings displaying a mating behaviour for us.  One was feeding the other one a lot of flying insects.  


They also were rubbing their beaks together a lot.


They were so cute to watch and it is so amazing how affectionate they were to each other.  At first I thought one was a baby but if you look at the pictures it looks like both are adults to me. I could be wrong. Do you think that one is a baby? Someone will tell me. I wonder if this is normal for Waxwings to do.


I took these shots with the little Panasonic camera and went back to the car and got the long lens but by then they were gone. That is always the way. What do you think of my little Panasonic Lumix FZ200.  It has a 500 zoom but is not so good when I crop in as it has less pixels than my other Canon 7D.  It is wonderfully light to carry. 

 
It is "W" week already at the ABC Meme.  I hope you all have a great week.  I may not have time to visit all your blogs this week but will show up when I can. I am working on a few other projects.  Also I am thinking of switching to Google+ ..what do my bloggers think of Google+.  I see not many of you have joined up to it.  I hear rumours that it has problems with people not able to leave comments, you can't moderate comments and your Picasa albums become all public.  I also read somewhere that Picasa is being phased out for the Google+ photo storage.

I want my blog readers to know how much I have appreciated their comments over the past few months that I have not been feeling well.  I am hoping I can continue to blog with you all.  I want to have a more interactive website with my readers so I hope to do some changes on the blog. Any ideas on what I can do to make my blog more connected to my readers. 

 Google is not putting my blog in the birding lists so I have to add some key words.
Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.

The Bird D'pot Thank you Anni
Our World Tuesday Thank you Jennifer
Sweet Shot Tuesday Thank you Kent
ABC Wednesday Thank you Denise, Roger and Team
Nature Notes Wednesday Thank you Michelle
Outdoors Wednesday Thank you Susan
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you Stewart






 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.







32 comments:

  1. Ah, love among our feathered friends!! Great shots! Thanks as always for sharing. Hope your week is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting looking birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The waxwings are beautiful birds and great to get a series of photos showing that interesting behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy pics of birds. Such beautiful markings and love their crested tops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouldn't mind an attentive partner like that myself. Oh so loovey dovey, cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sighting of the Waxwings, they are beautiful birds. Awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always take such fine photos - WE are glad you're here.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  9. These images of the waxwings....so thrilling to see them in 'love'. I enjoyed this post immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How "sweet" these waxwings are.
    JM Illinois
    U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots of the waxwings. I have flocks visit me certain times of the year. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look like a couple to me. I love their soft colors and the yellow on top and the tips of their tails.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, aren't these the sweetest birds shots! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such elegant loooking birds. Lovely captures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful birds and wonderful captures for the day as always!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Waxwings are so regal. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love waxwings!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the camera you are using (plus the photographer taking the pictures!) does a great job! Interesting to know that the mating is done through food! Just like the way to a man's heart!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent close-ups of these pretty birds.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What beautiful birds - I love the incredible detail and the gorgeous coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are indeed both adults and that kind of behaviour is common to them. You were very fortunate to capture this and yes,the pictures look fine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful birds and great photos of them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cant offer any comment on Google+ - sorry!

    But I can say the waxwings are great. I think all nature these days is a matter of degree of interference - which is a shame.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Waxwings are favourite birds for us to see in the garden. They arrive around the time when the honeysuckle berries appear.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I am sorry you aren't feeling well but I hope not to lose contact with you.... Love these photos... Sweet... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  26. Along with Swallows, I adore Waxwings and your Cedar Waxwing images are really very pretty. Thank you for sharing them~

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am sorry you have not been feeling well. I really love the shots of the waxwings! The perfect W post!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The colors in your pics are beautiful! An these birds are so cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I, too, love Waxwings, but have never managed a photo with such wonderful detail! I'm not keen on google+ but haven't really explored it fully. I joined because my gmail made it almost impossible NOT to join. Then I had problems trying to leave a comment and now I just ignore it. Hope you are feeling better and better. Your kind comment on my blog was so appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click for Index

COPYRIGHT