Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, July 22, 2013

Baby Birds and Beaches


Here we are again.  I will sprinkle in a few photos around in here and dance away.  These photos were taken a while ago on the West Coast.  Some were taken on the Broughton Archipelago and some at Barclay Sound.  We are at "B" for ABC Wednesday.






These look very similar. But pretty anyway.These are taken from a
boat in a place you seldom get to see...all this natural beauty all around you and no one gets to see it. Who is it for then. Does it exist for someone else.


This looks like a painting below and at nightfall we do live inside
a pastel painting painted by a great artist.  We are part of the colors.
We are not the brush or the artist. We hear and feel the music of the colors.
All this from the dust of stars.

 
The photo below was taken this week at Botanical Beach.  It has a rare and unusual ecosystem where life begins in grassy tidal pools, pounded by thundering waves.  Some of the strongest sealife is there. Life is like those waves pounding away at you and your thoughts have to be strong to survive.


Now on to the birding memes:
Black crows below.  I could not figure out what they were talking
about.  Perhaps they were two babies waiting for feeding. They stayed like this the whole time I was there, only moving their heads a little.


Back at the feeder again in the backyard.  A female Red-winged Blackbird below.


She can't decide which feeder she likes best.  She flew off quickly to feed her babies.

 
 A little Chestnut Backed Chickadee below. They are the only chickadees we have on our island.  This is probably a baby and he is saying "Momma, this stuff is good but I got some on my head too".



There are so many baby birds here right now.  This morning I woke to find a baby robin at the front door.  His momma bird kept feeding him even though he had fallen from a nest somewhere.  He was fine.  This little fellow below is one of the baby birds at the back feeder, not sure what he is.  He kept thinking the nyjer bag was food. Anyone want to guess what he is?  Then this evening we have a baby Towhee dancing all around the back yard. 


Keep Moving Forward like the Eagles Do!  I took this picture out at Sidney Spit this week.  The adult Eagle has a small fish in her talons and then we saw one with a crab.  You have to move forward as time moves on. Eagles never spend time in the past they just fly forward. Even if their nest falls or their babies fall down.


This is an older photo of a young eagle.  I put it in as I liked it and I
miss seeing the eagle nests where I used to live before.  I almost lived under those nests but we moved and time moved on. That was me living in the past.


These are young Great Blue Herons at Beacon Hill Park below.  They are just learning how to be great herons and all about life as a heron.

 
 Learning how to fly.

 
 Doing the heron dance.

 
We do the dance of life.
Sometimes I think we are all learning how to be human here.  And just when you think you have it figured out, life changes. The dance changes, we grow older and the new babies are born.  They are born to take our
place.

Today the new prince was born.  Diana would have been so proud. It got me to thinking of how time passes so quickly.  I was young once and now I have grown old.  Everyone I knew is old too.  We are part of the cycle of life.  I never did fit into life as it is.  A misfit. So I am not accepting this thing called aging.  I am still moving forward in the dance of life.
Are you moving forward?  Do you still dance in the past?

And that is the ramble for this week.
                                  ***********************
 Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.
Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.
 

The Bird D'pot Thank you Anni
Our World Tuesday Thank you Our World Team
Sweet Shot Tuesday Thank you Kent
ABC Wednesday Thank you Denise, Roger and Team
Nature Notes Wednesday Thank you Michelle
Outdoors Wednesday Thank you Susan
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you Stewart






 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.






37 comments:

  1. Magnificent pictures and text! Lovely birds, beautiful colors in your nature shots. So much beaut.
    Yes, I am still moving forward in the dance of life!
    Thank you for sharing it with us!

    Jorunn Norge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Jorunn. You have a lovely site as well.

      Delete
  2. A great series of photos. As usual, the beach photos are especially beautiful. I like the way you have captured so many different moods of the sea. The crows are interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mick. I like your water photos as well.

      Delete
  3. I love the way you put it Nora. As we get older, it's still a dance, even if it's now a different dance. My wife and I are still dancing in the second half of life, and we're learning some entirely new steps. We've stepped outside the conventional box, and we're loving it. It's a good time to learn the heron dance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill...you have an interesting place there, love that avatar!

      Delete
  4. Amazing heron shots - and those skies - wow! so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lady Fiona of the North...have fun in England.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful shots of the sky and I also love the landscapes, water and birds you photographed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carver, always a pleasure to see your birds in the yard and bath.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful sky shots!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey another Canadian...Hi Gary! Missed you last week. Have to check out your videos.

      Delete
  7. Such beautiful skies and nice assortment of birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rosyfinch, you and I are long time bird bloggers!

      Delete
  8. You live amidst beauty! Lovely sky shots, and the chickadee is so sweet! You can add me to the list of being old. Age is just a number, so I don't pay much attention to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Age is just a number I agree, I don't ever want to feel old.

      Delete
  9. You are indeed surrounded by so much beauty, Nora!! Glorious skies and beautiful birds! I agree with Karen regarding age -- and you can definitely add me to that list of being old! It is just a number and I don't have time to spend thinking about it! Hope your week is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia...seems like we have a great group of older bloggers here.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful scenes.I love all the sky and water shots. The little bird in question is a Red-breasted Nuthatch.I told someone recently,I may live in an old body but I refuse to think that way.So much life left to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, thanks for the bird ID. I was thinking it was a Nuthatch but my bird expert was not here to confirm so thanking you! I am rebelling against age.

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous and inspirational. I have to work on "dancing in the present". I tend to dwell too often on the past.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, gorgeous sky shots! Love the pretty colorful clouds and reflections! Gorgeous post and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful location/scenery and birdlife

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never knew that is what a female red-winged black bird looked like. they are so different from the males. i think I am at a good juxtaposition between dancing in the past and moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great series of pictures. I loved the colours in the sky. cute birdie pics:) and as for "dancing in the past"- i tend to do so sometimes but I am trying not to stay there but move on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the baby crows. Cute image. And y'know, I don't think I've ever spotted a female red-winged blackbird, so that was a special treat. And love the 'dance' of the heron. Great images Nora.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such beauty in the first few shots. Magical!

    Brilliant bird captures too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pictures, as the kids used to say, are BOSS!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  19. BEAUTIFUL!!!
    What more can I say, besides.
    "We hear the music of Color."

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have done a lot of dancing in the past this year... Happy to still be here and hope to find my dancing feet again... Love all the photos Nora.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nora, thanks for sharing your beautiful scenery and wonderful birds! Such fantastic colors in the sky enhanced by the water's reflection.

    From Wally - Dancing As Fast As I Can In Florida

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous series of shots!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Watching large birds lean how to fly is rather comical - but its surprising how quickly they get the knack.

    It would take me about 3 hours to fly back to Alice to get you a Bower Bird - and I'm not sure the bird would approve!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful serie! The eagles in the sky was spectacular. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad I stopped by to witness the beauty and the birds that surround you. I was stumped on that baby bird at the nyger feeder - glad someone could i.d. it for you. I don't see too many of them in my little corner of the world. Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ah ha! I just found the date...
    It was October 2, 1975
    Kings 6, Vancouver 5

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS