Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Monday, November 04, 2013

Questions on Nature

 
 
I have a lot of questions on the subject of nature.  I could go on forever with my questions as I am so fascinated with nature and all her wonders.  Why is the hummingbird so small yet so smart?
 

 
Why are baby hawks so cute and we never get to see them at this stage?


 
 
 
Why are herons considered endangered when we seem to have so many of them here?  I am doing a review of some of my previous photos along with my many questions for "Q" at the ABC Meme this week.
 
 
 
Why did the stilts not return to Vancouver Island this year? You can see a nice slide show of all the photos larger if you click on one of them.
 
 
 
 
Where are all the shorebirds this year...I saw very few of them? There were more farther out on the little islands.  Where is the Snowy Egret?
 

 
 
 
I wonder what these fossils could tell me? 
 
 
Where were all the terns this year?
 

 
Why did the octopus eat the seagull? 
 

What kind of behaviour is this humpy (humpback whale) displaying while he was playing with the sea lions for hours?

 
How can the Marsh Wren be so tiny but so brave in protecting his nest?
 

 
 
Is the Waxwing the only bird to give gifts to its mate?
 
 
Why is the Western Kingbird here?
 
 
 
I wonder if the pelicans will return this year and I wonder how the blue banded youngsters are doing after they were flown home to California? 
 
 
 
 
 Why do the Lapland Longspurs always go to Cattle Point?
 
 
Will I ever meet my lovely leucistic fox sparrow again? 
 
 
Why did the quail bond to a duck for his mom?
 


Why did the Merganser bond to this seagull?




And now for the big question of this week.  When I looked at my photos taken out in the boat a few weeks ago I saw a branded Sea Lion at Race Rocks. What is this?? I even have an answer for this question.


So I wrote to Alaska Fish and Game as I thought that was a good place to start and they wrote back explaining all about branding Sea Lions and that it was not one of theirs.  I got a very nice long email from the Marine Mammal Program in Alaska. This Sea Lion is two years old and was branded in Oregon in 2011.  I was very upset at the size of the brand wound.  I told them it is primitive and barbaric when in this techy age and they must find a better way to do this. They need the letters large to be able to spot it they say.  I am not happy. But I was impressed with the Marine Mammal Program in Alaska.

That is the end of my questions on nature but I can assure you that I have plenty more.

Don't forget to check out my twitter page, my Facebook page, my YouTube site.
Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.
Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.
 

At ABC Meme it is the letter Q for Questions. HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEK ALL MY BLOGGER FRIENDS!!!  I will catch up with your blogs soon.  I had to take my email off the blog for a while.

The Bird D'pot Thank you Anni
Our World Tuesday Thank you Our World Team
Sweet Shot Tuesday Thank you Kent
ABC Wednesday Thank you Denise, Roger and Team
Nature Notes Wednesday Thank you Michelle
Outdoors Wednesday Thank you Susan
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you Stewart






 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.


39 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Awesome pics for the day and such a variety of beautiful birds!! Fascinating questions indeed!! Thanks for sharing, Nora!! Hope you have a great week!

Rajesh said...

Wonderful are ways of nature, Great shots.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That branding does seem cruel. You have great questions.

Stephanie said...

Hope you find the answers you are looking for, in the meantime, enjoyed viewing all your images.

Carole M. said...

enjoyed all your wonderful photographs but the most comical is the stilt sitting

Indrani said...

I hope you get an answer to each of these questions! Absolutely fantastic shots!

ladyfi said...

Wow - your shots are so awesome! You live in a place of great natural beauty.

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful collection of birds and photos. I enjoy watching the wildlife. It is sad to see the huge brand mark on the sea lion. Have a happy day!

Laura said...

What a gorgeous series!!!! Please consider yourself officially invited to participate this year's 5th Annual Gratitude (word) Quilt. Instructions (it is very simple) and a link that explains the origin of the word quilt can be found at the top of my blog. In past years there have been participants from every continent except Antarctica. If I’ve already invited you, and even if you've already sent your "patch" I apologize... I am trying to reach as many people as possible to make this the most expansive word quilt ever, and sometimes forget whom I’ve already left this message for in a comment, and since I don't know all of your last names, it makes it even more complicated for me to remember. My intention is most certainly NOT to spam you. I hope you'll join us it is really amazing when all the words unfurl on November 27th, Thanksgiving Day in the United States.

Gail Dixon (LaBelle) said...

Enjoyed all your questions and photos. There is another bird that gives gifts and even decorates the nest besides the waxwing--the bowerbird. But I believe there are many others that display this wonderful behavior. I agree with you about seal branding. Not a fan.

Fun60 said...

I was shocked to see such branding. Surely they are wild animals that nobody owns.

Karen said...

So much to see, a terrific post!

Carver said...

Good questions and post and I love the photographs.

Leslie: said...

Fabulous questions to get one thinking. I wonder why they don't "brand" the sea lions now with some type of band that they can track on sonar, radar, or some other type of technological device. Maybe they will be able to do that in the future. That IS one awfully big branding on that sea lion. Poor thing.

Leslie
abcw team

Wally Jones said...

Great post, Nora! More questions than answers - sort of like life in general! Wonderful birds.

Wally in the Fall in Florida.

Roger Owen Green said...

I assume we never see cute baby hawks because they'd be too vulnerable!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Christian Weiß said...

Great photos, especially the fox sparrow. The branding is brutal there should be smarter solutions.

Margaret Adamson said...

HI Nora such a lot of Questions but I love all your photographs especially the stilt. terrible about the branding of the seals.

Anni said...

Wow....lots of questions. And never any answers because it's nature and everything changes from day to day. That fox sparrow with the touches of albinoism is extraordinary.

I was wondering just where all the ducks migrating south were for the last few weeks, but I posted a photo of them coming into south Texas on my personal blog today...http://hootin--anni.blogspot.com

Guess things are slow this year.
Hope some of your favorites return.

mick said...

A great series of very diverse birds and animals. I especially like the stilt sitting down with its legs folded up - I don't remember ever seeing one like that.

Amanda said...

Lovely photos and musings! Those brandings are big, there was a lot of controversy in Australia about 10 years ago and I think they stopped doing it then on the subantarctic species.

Photo Cache said...

you have many questions, but good questions though.

Ewok's ABC WEDNESDAY

Gunilla Bäck said...

Wonderful birds and many good questions. I hate to see the branding on the seal, that's just terrible.

Joy said...

Nature is so mysterious, and wonderful. Your photos are a balm after that cruel branding of sea lions. Hopefully they will learn them to be wary and keep away from man, if they didn't realise that already.
Joy - ABC Team

Rambling Woods said...

It is good to ask questions... Ouch on the branding... But the nature photos are wonderful Sallie... Michelle

ChrisJ said...

Why did I never wonder how stilts sit?!! I've never seen a photo of one sitting before and I can't imagine what it would have done with its legs if I'd ever given it any thought. Such marvelous photographs and out-of -the-box-questions.

Pat Tillett said...

So many great photos! As to the questions, I think somebody is having fun at our expense.
great post!

Beth L said...

Great questions - love the pictures. I feel sorry for the seal, though.

Ercotravels said...

Wow, Great varieties of the birds! Truly, beautiful captures.
Thanks for sharing.

HOOTIN ANNI said...

By the way, I have a question now that I am again viewing your photos...

I'm late getting around to visiting those that posted links on Nature Notes this week...and my question is, have you ever seen a black necked stilt get back UP after lying down?

Hanne Bente said...

Great image series you show :) Hanne Bente

photowannabe said...

Fascinating questions that I have no answers to.
Terrific photos. It is obvious you do love nature and capture it so well.

bailey-road.com said...

These are wonderful photos to go along with your unanswered questions.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

yes.....very slowly!!! I had the wonderful experience of the Stilt coming and sitting beside me on the muddy bank for a long long time and then slowly get up....they usually do not sit and their knees are actually their ankles or something like that....;-) Thanks Hootin Anni ...you have a lovely personal site as well as your meme on birds.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

This is wonderful Nora. I so admire you for asking the questions and working so hard to get them answered (as in the last one...that brand makes me feel very sad).....I adore this post. I am off to friend you on Face book. I learn something every time I read your blog, so if I see you on FB I will certainly know more about nature.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

PS: I have seen waxwings feeding each other and it is one of the loveliest birding experiences I have ever had!

Stewart M said...

So many questions to which I have no answers! The brand on the seal does look very large.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Our photos said...

You have make beautiful photos!
Greetings, RW & SK

Pat Tillett said...

So many beautiful questions and questions that I can't answer.
Maybe your seabirds are all down here, because there are tons of them here right now.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS