Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I only put a few posts on the first page. Please click "Read More" to see all of each post. Also click "older posts" under the comments or see the archives at the side, labels below post and older Index. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

FOLLOW MY BLOG

To follow click on badge on the sidebar or here.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Vermilion Bird


Some great pictures of the new Vermilion Bird today. Have you seen this bird. Well not really. Just a joke.  Actually just some photos of the birds in the backyard that have red or vermilion on them or around them. The ABC Meme is at the letter "V" for vermilion this week.




There are vermilion birds like the Vermilion Flycatcher and I found out that in China the Vermilion bird is one of the four symbols of the Chinese Constellations:
"The Vermilion bird is an elegant and noble bird in both appearance and behavior, it is very selective in what it eats and where it perches, with its feathers in many different hues of vermilion." (wiki)



I don't have any of these flycatchers or Chinese birds in my backyard but I do have fun with the Northern Flickers and the Hummingbirds and my other friendly birds at the feeders. So here are a few shots I took over the last few weeks.



Most of the leaves are all brown or gone now.  I actually staged some of these photos by putting the red leaves under the feeder. What we will do for a photo.

Towhee.
Golden-crowned.
Foxy Fox Sparrow.

Above is the Rusty Blackbird.  I guess he is rusty as he has a little
bit of red on him. Below are the Flickers at my feeders.  They are very playful and fun to watch.  We are having Flicker Madness at my house lately as it has been so cold.



Red-shafted Northern Flicker.  They have to inspect all elements at the feeding station to see if it meets their approval.



The Northern Flickers are quite tame and playful.  The Red-shafted Vermilion one is tamer than the Yellow-shafted one.  They come to the feeder together now so guess they are a pair.  At first the Red-shafted one would chase away the Yellow one.  Now the Yellow one just has to eat second and wait a while on the tree above. (Or he sneaks in later on.)



 Above he is saying "I think I will put some food in this tree for later".  The Red-shafted is not shy and announces himself with a loud screeching call as he comes in to eat lunch.


This is the Yellow-shafted Flicker.  He seemed a little shy at first. They are good at sharing and share with all the other birds that come in. Wishing they would chase the starlings away but no they like to share. I think that is a female blackbird beside him there in front, starling at the back.


 I wanted to show you this one above as to show the pretty red design at the back of the Yellow-shafted Flickers head. Why they have to go to the basket under the feeders I don't know.


The Yellow-shafted are not as common around here as the Red-shafted Northern Flickers so I am honoured to have them here.



Don't forget to check out my twitter page, my Facebook page, my YouTube site.
Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.
Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.



Now it is time to say goodnight to the little hummers as they dance their ballet guarding the feeder above.
and the Flicker sits on the tree saying goodnight to me each night. A life with birds is a good life.



The Bird D'pot Thank you Anni
Our World Tuesday Thank you Our World Team
Sweet Shot Tuesday Thank you Kent
ABC Wednesday Thank you Denise, Roger and Team
Nature Notes Wednesday Thank you Michelle
Outdoors Wednesday Thank you Susan
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you Stewart





I did find one Trumpeter Swan out in a field of pumpkins along with five youngsters also.  Wondering if it is the same family that always comes to this field.


Oh and the big find was a Kestrel on a tree out
at Maber farms.  What a beautiful bird.


 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

30 comments:

  1. What fun, colorful captures for the day and colorful birds as well!! Thanks for the smiles!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a variety of beautiful birds at your feeder but the cutest of all - I think! - is that little Hummingbird. The red around its head and neck is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen a bird like this one. He is a pretty one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All wonderful birds.....and a Rusty!!!! That would be a rare treat here.....I'd love to see that one in the wild:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. all so very beautiful in their own right but the hummer up top was quite special

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute and handsome and vermillion!
    Hope you are doing well Nora, I pray for you every night. {{Hugs}} . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice VARIETY of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all those lovely photos - you have a much more varied flock of birds than I see here in the Similkameen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Veritable Vermillion! Sweet bird too:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty bird that Flicker is! Wonderful shots of your feathered friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful captures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing captures. You are so alert to take such good frames.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kestrels are pretty common birds here - but not so any of the others which you've photographed so skilfully. I have a cousin whose surname is Vermilion - so much more exotic than being called Black or Brown!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos of these wonderful birds. They are a joy to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet, sweet collection of birds. The hummer is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have captured lots of wonderful feathers on show.
    Joy - ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  18. A real colourful collection Nora.
    Don't you over do it on that computer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. HI Wonderful selection of birds especially the litttle Hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your birds are so cool -- and I have always loved the word vermillion ... I think there was a crayon in the box called that right? Anyway whether your birds are vermillion or not they are all wonderful. You describe the woodpecker and flicker behavior so beautifully (and exactly right).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful collection of birds, I love the pretty hummer! And the Flicker is another one of my favorites. Wonderful photos, have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The vermillion flycatcher is adorable, all the shots are beautiful !!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow. so beautifully captured. adorable clicks

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing all these beautiful pictures and please know that we continue to wish you blessings and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for a wonderful, colorful, Variety of images, Nora! Brightened up my whole day!

    Wally - cold snap here in Florida - 72 F!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes a life with birds is great. They keep me company on the snowy dark days..I hope you are hanging in there.. Sending hugs your way Nora... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great shots of this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great set of pictures - the swan in the pumpkin field is wonderful

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  29. A beautiful series of photos. Pretty birds and great photos of them.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click for Index

TO CONTINUE CLICK 'OLDER POST' ABOVE HERE OR CLICK ON THE ARCHIVE ON THE SIDE OR --OLDER INDEX OF BLOG PAGES
©all rights reserved on all images and text

COPYRIGHT