Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Monday, December 01, 2014

Back With Unusual Birds Today



Today I will pop in some of the more unusual birds we have been seeing over the last few month.  It has been a great time for birders in this area as we have had several birds visit us.  We are at the letter "U" at ABC Meme and I am rather late for the party as I missed the whole alphabet this time...yikes.



So here we go with some birds, unusual for me and then some of my usual birds at the feeder.  That is sunny at the top of the page there.  He is a snipe that lived with me for a while in the yard.  He liked to sit on the sprinkler heads but then early one morning the sprinkler man came and put air through the sprinkler to ready it for winter...no more sunny. It scared him away to some flats nearby. I really got attached to him.  He was here for a long time.
 Above here is a Western Meadowlark we found down by the shore.  My first time getting a good shot and I made a video.  He did not sing.

 Above is the Rock Sandpiper that was out at Whiffin Spit for a while.
American Tree Sparrow above...not a good picture.

 The usual birds out in the back yard.  A lot of Steller's Jays came in this year.  They make a lot of noise and have a wild time raiding everything in the yard as they screech out warnings.
Flicker is my favorite bird.  We have several come and we also have a yellow shafted one.  They always put on a show.  Curious and clever.  I can hear them screaming all the way down the road before they hit the fat in the yard.  They also  land on the chimney and they love the sound the metal makes so the whole town can hear it when they peck on it. Gives you a fright if you are sitting by the fire for a nice quiet time with a book and tea.
Hope you all have a wonderful week. Your comments are appreciated very much.   cheers, Nora

Thank you for coming to visit me after such a long absence.
Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.
The Bird D'pot Thank you Anni
Our World Tuesday Thank you Our World Team
Nature Notes Tuesday Thank you Michelle
Sweet Shot Tuesday Thank you Kent
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you Stewart
ABC Wednesday Thank you Denise, Roger and Team
Outdoors Wednesday Thank you Susan
To continue reading my posts you may click older post below or see the index on the side or pick a popular post from the sidebar or label below. Thanks.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

Also check out my Leukemia Labyrinth

27 comments:

Stephanie said...

Love the Flicker bird. I believe this is the first time I laid eyes on this one. He is beautiful. The Western Meadowlark is beautiful in its coloring and of course I have a great fondness for Stellars. I have only seen one in the front yard recently. Great post!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful collection of birds.We have only the Yellow-shafted Flicker,here.

ladyfi said...

What gorgeous bird shots. I love that Flicker!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

All, apart from the Snipe, very unusual to me, of course, living over on this side of the Atlantic. And some excellent photos too; if any of them ever turn up as vagrants I shall know them now!

Fun60 said...

Such beautiful birds especially the Western Meadowlark. Not one I have ever seen.

Anni said...

You definitely shared some terrific birds today Nora. I welcome you back with open arms. You've been missed.

Thank you for linking up at I'd Rather B Birdin' this week.

EG CameraGirl said...

You found a nice selection of birds to show us! Apparently the Western Meadowlark is sometimes seen here in Ontario but I have only seen the Eastern version...I think. They are quite difficult to tell apart. And we have the yellow shafted Flicker not the red so these are unusual birds for me as well.

Marie said...

Love the flicker and the meadowlark and the stellar's jay! All gorgeous photos! All so unusual and beautiful. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

mick said...

A great series of birds and photos. I especially like the Sandpiper.
Great to have you back blogging again.

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful collection of birds and photos! The Meadow lark is a beauty? Have a happy day!

Gunilla Bäck said...

Wonderful birds all of them. Take care!

Gail Dixon said...

Oh my, these are fabulous! The flicker is a favorite of mine, too, as is the meadowlark and the stellar's jay. Your shots are truly magnificent.

Rambling Woods said...

I love the flickers but I hear them, but don't see them as often, but they are gone for the winter now... Michelle

Indrani said...

Love to see your bird collections. Thanks for this unusual virtual treat. :)
Happy ODW!

NatureStop said...

Wow! what a lovely collection of birds you got there. Have a great day!

Shantana

Margaret Adamson said...

HI Nora These are a cracking series of bird shots. Love them all

HOOTIN ANNI said...

Picture Post Card Perfect Nora.

Roger Owen Green said...

Welcome back! U are welcome any time! Neat birds!

ROG, ABCW

CailinMarie said...

Beautiful pictures and I love your descriptions. I think Flicker would be my favorite too, but I like that shot of the Meadowlark with the pretty yellow underbelly. Never seen any of these pretties down in Virginia, USA.

Light and Voices said...

Awesome bird photographs!
JM, Illinois

robin andrea said...

Love seeing the birds you are seeing there. Your photos are so beautiful. Thank you for posting these wonderful sights.

Marie said...

I am so sorry you have been fighting leukemia...I had no idea. I hope and pray you are doing well!!!!

The Furry Gnome said...

Great bird shots! Love the Snipe.

Roy Norris said...

Quite a colourful collection Nora.

Hannah said...

The Snipe has such elegant feather patterns. I would love to hear the Meadowlark sing. My favorite is the Flicker, though, you got such a good shot of its spotted feathers and the red accents on it's face and tail, it practically glows. There is one up the street in my neighborhood, but it only came down to my yard once.

Wally Jones said...

You really know how to make an entrance, Nora! Welcome back to sharing your unique northwestern American birds with the world! We sure appreciate it!

Sorry your Snipe no longer visits. That would definitely be a great "yard" bird to have around! It won't be that long before your Meadowlarks will be singing their little hearts out. Loved all your splendid photographs!

Nora said...

Hello old friends, thanks for returning to see me and to send nice comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS