Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Acorn Woodpecker Rare




We had an Amazing rare bird visitor a short while ago, an Acorn Woodpecker!  She was visiting a golf course nearby and collecting acorns and stashing them in the oak trees.




She is supposed to stay much farther south than where we are, she is from California and from Oregon. (edit:  later I added this note that there is an acorn in her beak in some of the pictures.)


All the birders came from all over the island and mainland to view the Amazing Acorn Woodpecker and to study her behaviours.  She would collect up the acorns very rapidly and hide them in the same trees and then she would sleep.

She was all alone.  They mostly live in communal groups in their home areas of four males and two females.  I wonder what happen to her partners.  All the members of the acorn commune help with making the nest and feeding the young.  Sounds like those hippie days on the communes where everyone had to help.  An acorn woodpecker commune can store up to 50,000 nuts.



She flew away. She was here for quite a while.  I think she was at the golf course for some time before a birder saw her and she was reported.  The residents nearby said they had seen her for a long long time. It was very exciting to see her and see all the birders so happy.
We are at "A" for the ABC meme.

********************************************


Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.
The Bird D'pot Thank you Anni
RubyTuesdayToo
Our World Tuesday Thank you Our World Team
Nature Notes Tuesday Thank you Michelle
Sweet Shot Tuesday Thank you Kent
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you Stewart
ABC Wednesday Thank you Denise, Roger and Team
Outdoors Wednesday Thank you Susan




To continue reading my posts you may click older post below or see the index on the side or pick a popular post from the sidebar or label below. Thanks.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

Also check out my Leukemia Labyrinth
MY ALBUM IS PUBLIC NOW ISLAND RAMBLES

34 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

Oh my.... What a treat!,, great photos of the very busy woodpecker.... Michelle

Ruth Hiebert said...

It is always a thrill to see a rare bird. Great shots.

Marie said...

Great sighting! There were acorn woodpeckers in Madera Canyon (extreme S. AZ) last May when we were there. Enjoyed them! You took some wonderful photos of them!

Stephanie said...

Interesting beak on this bird.

ladyfi said...

What a treat to see such a pretty bird. Your shots are lovely.

Gunilla Bäck said...

Lucky you! I love woodpeckers and this is a very pretty one.

jeannettestgermain said...

This bird made me smile, looking so piously!

Roy Norris said...

Wow! Its always great to see something different Nora. Great shots you got as well.

Fun60 said...

Well done. What a terrific photo you managed to get.

Penelope Puddlisms said...

I think the bird has something in its beak but at first it appeared to be a bit of a Jimmy Durante nose! :)

Mama Zen said...

What a neat bird!

Gemma Wiseman said...

This woodpecker variety seems wilder than the more sleek common one. The first photo is intriguing. The beak looks big and arched, but it is just the illusion of the acorn in the bird's mouth. Great photos.

bj said...

What a beautiful bird..so glad you got to see it. Love all your great photos....

mrsnesbitt said...

I LOVE watching the birds feeding. We have a fantastic view from our snug - it makes me feel cold just thinking about outside right now - but I know the birds are catered for.

Thank you for being part of this wonderful project.
Denise Founder & proud team member ABC Wednesday

Karen said...

Oh wow! How fabulous you saw her, AND got terrific shots!

eileeninmd said...

Great sighting, I love the eyes on this woodie.. Wonderful collection of photos. Have a happy day!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful pictures of your rare bird! I've never seen one and we lived in Oregon for many years ...thanks for sharing, so glad you saw her.

Neil said...

Glad you were able to see a rare bird.

Photo Cache said...

what coold shots.

My ABC WEDNESDAY

carol l mckenna said...

What a delightful bird and love its beak ~ great shots ~ hope she finds her family ~

Happy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol

Lea said...

What a lovely bird! Great photos!

Margaret Adamson said...

What a wonderful for you to see this beautiful bird and then gets these great shots

Roger Owen Green said...

an ASTUTE bird!

ROG, ABCW

robin andrea said...

What a wonderful sight. We see them often here in CA and always love it! They are incredibly resourceful and have a wonderful communal life.

W. Latane Barton said...

A smart bird, getting ready for winter. I didn't even know that acorn woodpeckers existed so loved seeing your photos.

Lisa Mallette Photography said...

Great clean shots of the woodpecker. They are so neat to watch! I remember the first time I saw one locally I was surprised as to how big of a bird it actually was!

bettyl-NZ said...

Great captures! The things I learn on the internet!

Indrani said...

Great action captures. Very well taken.
Happy WW!

Dave said...

what a result for you with this one showing up, you did well with the images too. Happy days!

ChrisJ said...

Love to see rare birds.I would love to visit Vancouver Islandtoo. The city ov Vancouver and coast line north of there is beautiful too.

Anni said...

Fantastic Nora!!!
Wow...impressive collection of this rare bird. I'm lovin' it.

Sorry it's taken me so long to stop by for a visit this week. The flu bug still lingers at our house.
Thanks for taking time to share your link with us at I'd Rather B Birdin'.

Powell River Books said...

It's amazing to what lengths birders will go to see a rare bird. - Margy

Hannah said...

It's great to see your shots of the beautiful Acorn woodpeckers. I used to see them and their acorn storage trees in S. California but not up here, but I did plant a couple of oak trees so someday they may have acorns and I can hope they will come.

Nora said...

Thanks so much for coming and taking the time to write me such nice notes. I real them all you can be sure of it. Make my day!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS