Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Monday, February 15, 2016

Finches and Other Birds



Finches and other birds in the backyard and parks nearby.





This is the normal Red colored House Finch above, although he is drinking humming bird nectar.


We found a Yellow morph House Finch at a park nearby.  I am not sure why he is yellow, perhaps it is related to the food they eat. The other ones are all red.


Edit:  I am adding some info after publishing as I had time to read up on the House Finches and their colors.  I was too busy before.
The  male House Finch comes in red, orange and yellow.  It is from the carotenoids in the diet and is used to attract females. The redder the male is the more the young females prefer it and they breed early and have successful chicks.  The yellows breed later than the reds but they are the most helpful with feeding the chicks. The reds do not help with the feeding and have a better survival rate as they have no stress and sit around and eat all day. An older experienced female House Finch will prefer a yellow mate as he will feed her babies and she gets to rest. The younger House Finches all prefer the dashing reds.  Some of the males will change from yellow to red over a few years.  The orange House Finch is popular with the older females also as he will both breed early and then take over part of the feeding of the chicks.  Who knew all these intimate details of House Finches!   (found this stuff on line somewhere)




Leucistic Fox Sparrow below.



Kingfisher.


Flicker.  We are at the letter "F" for the ABC Meme.




Fisgard Lighthouse for some more Red.



There was a Rock Wren at Fisgard Lighthouse which is kind of rare for our area.



Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.
The Bird D'pot  RubyTuesdayToo  Our World Tuesday  Nature Notes Tuesday    Wild Bird Wednesday ABC Wednesday  Outdoors Wednesday  Monday Mellow Yellow

To continue reading my posts you may click older post below or see the index on the side or pick a popular post from the sidebar or label below. Thanks.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

35 comments:

  1. All your photos are so great and all of these birds are quick, often jerky in their movements...GREAT job!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful birds and I liked the lighthouse pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Wonderful collection of birds. The Yellow-morph House Finch is a beauty! But, then all the birds are beautiful. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful bird photos, especially of the flicker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful macro shots of nature's beautiful birds!

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bird images!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fine visit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your bird shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh such a marvellous collection of gorgeous birds!
    Love the lighthouse keepers house too!
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful! I really like the bird shots and that lighthouse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SUPER excellent post!! Some wonderful 'uniqueness' you've captured, and thanks for adding the info on their diet creating 'colors'. VERY interesting.

    Beautiful images.

    Thanks for sharing at I'd Rather B Birdin' this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love seeing the birds you are seeing there! You remind me that we saw a yellow house finch when we were living on the Olympic Peninsula many years ago. Haven't seen one since. Bird colors tell such an interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photo's, especially those of the birds... wich i adore

    Have a nice abc-day / - week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Flickers are such pretty birds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pictures! Gr. John

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have several Flickers that visit our yard occasionally. They really are large birds with very large beaks.
    Plenty of finches around our place too. You gave some very interesting info. on them which I didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice share of birds and the Fox Sparrow really is interesting in it's different colours~

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've had a song sparrow hanging around the cabin earlier in the month. We go home tomorrow, I wonder if any other birds have returned. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting information about the House Finches. That mottled Fox Sparrow is quite a find.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am not sure that it was a Finch I found who had passed away on our lawn, but the feathers were tinged with gold and green and it was really lovely, - poor wee bird.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The fox sparrow is so pretty...and the flicker. Great captures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely set of Finches !

    ReplyDelete
  23. a very pretty bird!

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful captures, and information on the finches. All our house finches are red, but I'm on the lookout for some yellow males now that I've seen your post! Have a wonder-filled week! #wildbirdwednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi June, Thanks for the comment. I loved your blog. I could not figure out how to comment as it was a Google+. I have to move over to Google+ to comment on some of these blogs, so I am sorry to some of the bloggers who post comments on here as I try to figure out how to comment back but can't do it.

      Delete
  25. Great shots - love that Flicker!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous photos Nora! Not only have I not seen a Fox Sparrow before, I've never even heard of them! Very pretty and and colored to blend in.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome pictures!
    Happy ABCW!
    Cheers, Srivi - https://thepisceanme.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. What fun seeing a yellow house finch! I loved reading about them, and had no idea they came in "different colors!" What an amazing find! Great pictures, all!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Nora... I did not know that about the finches,,, Thank you for the information.. Your photos are protected and I can't collect them for the collage anymore,,,Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your bird photos, especially the Flicker! I had no idea that the color of the male finches was in any way related to their diet!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Please do not link in a comment, I have to then delete as there is too much spam going on.
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS