Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Monday, February 22, 2016

Picasa Discontinued, Google Photos

Google Photos and Picasa with Great Horned Owl Photos:
This is a general post on blogging with some Great Horned Owls for company as you read all this. I think the owls make it more interesting.  It is really boring.





Recently a note popped up on my Picasa albums.  Picasa is being shut down. If you previously used Picasa to host your blogger blog photos, you have to switch to Google Photos. Something new to learn. I have not studied it yet.


Have any of you switched over and are using Google Images to host your photos for your blog? I am just wondering  how to upload and how to link to the photos.  Looks more complicated that Picasa.


Blogger has gone through such an evolution of changes since I first started.  Blogger was started in 1999 by a small company in San Francisco called Pyra Labs, they were just three friends doing other computer work and Blogger arrived out of that. It was difficult to find out how to fix things and get help in the first year. I had a few other blogs before this one.



At one point I went on the old Blogger help forums to help out and I was locked out of all my accounts. (Automated robot did it).  My first blog was taken over by someone reposting all my posts as theirs (scraper). It was the wild, wild west in blogging terms.



In 2003 Blogger was bought by Google.  There were huge changes to go through the first years but it is better now.  It is always agony to go through changes. A lot of us have gone through Old Blogger and New Blogger and survived. We even went through Blogger Beta in 2006 and Blogger in Draft.


Google bought Picasa in 2004 and it has been a great photo host for bloggers.  The name is a blend of "my house" in Spanish and Pablo Picasso.  I am so sad that they are closing it down. What to do?



Please leave a comment if you are using the new Google Photos to add the images to your blogs. Or let me know where you host your blog photos.  I am not on Google+ as they will not accept the name that I am most commonly known as "Island Rambles". This is considered a pseudonym.  I can't seem to be both Nora and Island Rambles there.  May need help.  Hoot! Hoot!

In my Google Blogger Post Editor my Spell Check no longer works. Anyone else having this same error????




I hope my baby owls kept you company as you read the blog. They are from two years ago.  I stood in the pouring rain by myself and watched this lovely sequence of flying exercises. You can see the raindrops if you click on the slide show. (I was using a long lens and I was completely hidden from the owls.)

I have mixed emotions when I put in the owlets as none of us are sure if any of them made it. I could not look at the photos for a long time as I have a tender heart. But I have decided that these pictures want to be shown if they can possibly help us to admire and love wildlife in any way.



We are at the letter "G" at the ABC Meme for Google and Great Horned Owls!
Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.
The Bird D'pot  Our World Tuesday  Wild Bird Wednesday ABC Wednesday  Outdoors Wednesday 
To continue reading my posts you may click older post below or see the index on the side or pick a popular post from the sidebar or label below. Thanks.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

LATER INFO ADDED AFTER PUBLICATION:

All our Picasa photos are visible at Google Photos now, you log into Google Photos.  You can upload and organize your photos there.  They will create a new place for us to access our Picasa Web Album data.  You will only be able to view, download, or delete these albums in Picasa not create, organize or edit the old Picasa albums as you have to do this in Google Photos.  The changes start to roll out on May 1, 2016.  As of March 15 they will no longer support the Picasa desktop application.  They will not be updating it.  In Google Photos you can upload photos and videos using a desktop uploader. I could not find the uploader or it did not work so still investigating that.  Link to Google Picasa Blog Picasa Google letter.   Link to the Google Images Uploader that I cannot figure out.



39 comments:

chai-and-chardonnay.blogspot.com said...

Funny and delightful!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

enjoyed the photos...and now I'm off to see if I have an issue with my photos :)

Linda W. said...

I had not heard that Picasa will be discontinued. What a shame! I've got lots of photos stored on this site.

lotusleaf said...

Oh I didn't know Picasa was shutting down! My photos are stored there:( Your post was very interesting and informative. The pictures are beautiful. Hope the owlets made it!

Christine said...

A wonderful series of photos with the owlets! So glad you stood in the rain to have these photos
Sorry I can't give any help with Google photos.
Hope you have a great week.

Marie C said...

The baby owls and your "comments" were adorable. I don't understand much about computers and I've never used Picasa, just save my photos to my computer and then add them into my blog posts. Blogger I know is controlled by Google, and I think Google appears to be taking over almost all computer systems people use! I don't like monopolies, and I like having choices, but we are all stuck with whatever they decide to do unfortunately!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what a great collection of owl images. The owlets are so cute! Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

Melody Steenkamp said...

Gorgious photo's... i love birds so i never can get enough of them

Have a nice ABC-Day // - week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)

Anni said...

So, does this mean we need to transfer our picasa photos to Google photos? What about all the images that are posted with our OLD posts from years ago....wondering if they [images] will remain on the posts? Oh dear. I best get to checking this out.

Lovely owls...and great captions added.
Thanks for linking at I'd Rather B Birdin' this week.

Chris Rohrer said...

I love your owls. BUT I didn't know that they would be switching from Picassa! It might be an easy switch. HOping that there won't be any issues down the road.

photowannabe said...

I'm still using Picasa and will continue until I can't. It's my go to application.
Love your owls and all the conversation..

Nora said...

Hi there, I added more info and links at the bottom of my post as I had some time to look it up. I think it will be OK and will work out once I figure out how we upload our photos and add them into the blog.

Nora said...

Hi Marie, your photos are automatically loaded into a Picasa album as you upload them to the blog I think. So you will have a lot of photos hosted by Picasa. They probably will be auto loaded into a Google Photos album later. I like to place my photos into individual albums so I upload and then place them into the blog.

Nora said...

The pictures will be visible at Google Images. I updated my posting with some links and info. They will not delete our photos but we will not be able to use Picasa to link to or upload to anymore. They only want to use Google Images now.

Nora said...

Hi, yes they know there are millions of photos at Picasa so they are carefully moving us into Google Images. They do not want to divide their photo hosting into two hosts, Google and Picasa so Picasa will be retired. I think they need to describe the uploader and the posting of the photo URL to our blogs on the Blogger Page Editor a bit more for me to get it.

carol l mckenna said...

Fun owl photos and captions and very informative about Google ~ I haven't used Picassa in awhile ~ not usually upload photos from my Mac computer ~

Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

Nora said...

Hi lotusleaf, I put some links and more info at the bottom of my posting. Hope it is helpful.

Penelope Puddlisms said...

The captions are cute! About Picasa: It took a couple of years before I realized my photos were uploaded there whenever I posted pictures on my blog. Now I wonder how it will work out. Hopefully, the photos will not disappear and will instead transition smoothly into Google.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The owlets are wonderful and do need to be seen no matter what.

I got the notice about Picasa from an email list I belong to called Geeks on Tour" (they are people who go around presenting seminars at RV shows). I watched their live webcast Sunday, but I think your post was just as helpful. Thank you very much. I don't use Picasa albums, so I think I'm OK with he edits I do on Picasa, but I also think I should learn to use the Google albums and images. Because my photos are in the worst shape ... everywhere, not in good order, just a hot mess. Thanks for your help.

Also I hope you don't have a problem commenting on my blog (from your previous post). I blog on Typepad which nobody else does (I mean somebody else must, but nobody whose blogs I read).... my mail is sallieatfulltime-lifedotcom. I'd really appreciate if you let me know if you have problems with commenting on mine.

Nora said...

I did notice that some of my not shared albums (private albums in Picasa) were now shared when I went to the Google Images album they have for me. So you will see some of the technical blogging albums, like the template album was there and the memes or carnival album is there. You can click the three lines or dots on the left sidebar and get a main menu and then try to change if it is shared in a collection. Not sure if you can make it private anymore.

Nora said...

Hi Sallie, Yes I was able to comment easily this time on your blog, I am so happy! I must have just done something wrong before and could not get the comment to post. Now all is fine!! yeah!

Nora said...

I looked at your photos and looks to me like they are automatically posted into Picasa as you do your posts Mac.
Google Images will probably have a album of your photos and so will Picasa. I am hoping they will just upload your new blog photos to Google Photos later on as you do your posts.

jeannettestgermain said...

Envious! Never seen baby owls! Don't have Picasa anymore, but I will miss their editing features! I still have Photobucket - that is still running.

Nora said...

It will work till May 1st. By then I hope they have explained it a bit more in detail. There will not be a pubic page with all our albums or collections as they call them in the Google Images so we will not be able to link to a page with all our albums on it like we did in Picasa. Not Good at all.

Nora said...

Hi Carol, your photos are automatically loaded into a Picasa album as you upload them into the blog. I checked your link and looks like you have a Picasa link.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The little owls are adorable.I have all my photos on Adobe Bridge,but I export them all to Flickr as well as Google Photos.

robin andrea said...

I never used Picasa. I organize my photos on my computer and upload them to blogger for each blog post. I'm not sure if blogger automatically signs me into a Picasa account, but I've never been on that site. I'm going to google around to see what relationship blogspot has with Picasa.

You started blogging a long time ago, Nora. I didn't even know about blogs until 2003. We started our blog in late 2004. I love keeping an online journal like this. I prefer it to Facebook, although there is an immediacy to Facebook that has its charms.

Stephanie said...

Too bad about Picasa. I use it all the time.

ladyfi said...

What fun and such great shots too! I'm on Wordpress so know nothing about Blogger and Picasa.

DeeDee said...

hahaha, funny read

Roger Owen Green said...

I'm glad you figured it all out, because I NEVER figured out Picasa!
ROG, ABCW

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I know I've been here before ... just wanted to thank you for leaving a comment and answering my question. (And your blog is always well worth a second/third/etc look anyway... though I don't usually leave more than one comment per post ;>)

robin andrea said...

I've been thinking about this post and did a little exploring to see what my relationship is with Picasa. I don't have the Picasa application on my computer. I've never used it to edit or store my photos. I use Photoshop and keep my photos on my computer. BUT, when I looked at our New Dharma Bums blog, and opened a screen to create a new post, I noticed that there is a link to Picasa web. I always just upload photos from my computer, but blogger does keep a copy on Picasa web. I had never clicked on the link before, and when I did I found the photos I had uploaded to the blog for the past several years. I don't think anything will change for us; we will continue to upload photos from our computers. I think blogger will just start storing them on google.photos.

Nora said...

Hi Sallie, thanks for coming back!

Nora said...

I think you are right. For anyone who uploads directly from their computer, their photos are placed in a Picasa album automatically as their host, but that will just change to a Google Photos album automatically I bet. Most Blogger Blogs do not know they have this album at Picasa which is now visible at Google Photos. It is nice to know you have the album at Google Photos as you can link directly to the album. However if you have many albums or a collection of albums at Google Photos there is no option to link to that page of all the albums on Google Photos. I am going to find out how to advise them to create this public link to our albums like it was on Picasa.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I hope your sweet little owlets made it!

I've always just uploaded my pics to blooger, so I don't know about Picasa.
~

Indrani said...

Too many problems i Google, I hope they get sorted out fast for you.
I like the conversations of the owls. Very creative. :)

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

Hi...when I saw this post...I went looking to see if I had to do something to convert. Never found an answer. Everything implied everything would transition automatically.

Well it hasn't.

My photos are fine in GooglePhotos but it isn't fine if there is NO CONNECTION between Blogger and GPhotos.

I hate Google. They are the worst communicators in the world. There apps are total non-intuitive. I wish there was a reasonable option, I'd flee...but they get you tied into one tool.

Nora said...

I agree they do not seem to have put the connection on our Blogger Page Editors yet. Be sure that you are logged in on the upper right hand corner to the same account. I am just stuck on the CONNECTION part also. They have to put in an auto link to Google Photos on our editors. They must be so so so so stupid at Google. No one is going to put in the html or url each time. I went on the forums and see there is a long page on this topic at google help forum. For most of us it is a wait and see what happens. I thought it was in May that they would have arranged it all, not now.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS