Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Thursday, March 24, 2016

My Birthday



It is my birthday today and I am reflecting on my life!  In my lifetime I have seen a few changes. I have gone from my childhood days of living in a remote seaside village with no roads or stores to being a blogger!



Where I grew up the only access was by boat.  We had a wood stove that heated the water and a wood heater in the basement. We had no television, only radio. We had an outhouse on a hill with an apple orchard around it. I grew up on the beaches surrounding our home and village. I grew up on Vancouver Island.


My pioneer father was a fisherman and he cleared the land to grow potatoes. My mother had eight children that survived, I was the last one. I went to a three room schoolhouse until I was around twelve and then I went alone to live in town to go to school. I never lived at home again. The  little girl in the photos is me. I only  have a few photos of my childhood.



Everything is so different now. I have gone from nature to blogging. It is all computers, cell phones and television shows. Everything is about shopping, traffic jams and the terrible news of the world. I think back to a simpler time and wish I could go back in time. To be a time traveler. Just to live with nature on the isolated beaches again.


Here are some scenic views of some of the areas on Vancouver Island where I grew up.  I mostly have photos of our trip to Long Beach and some taken out in the boat in the area by my husband. These are all blasts from the past.











I put in my posts for a few days as I have very bad eyes and only
one eye works and sometimes it is not working if on the computer too much.
Thank you to each of these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story. Click on any of these links for some great blogs and photos.
Scenic Weekends   The Weekend in Black White  Sky Watch Friday
Weekend Reflections   Blue Monday
To continue reading posts you may click older post below or see the index on the side or pick a popular post from the sidebar or label below. Thanks.  HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS.







29 comments:

Margaret Adamson said...

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY Nora.Thanks for sharing part of or childhood.Yes thesewere simplier in days gone by but your shots of the beachsand beautiful skies will still have the same beauty. have a wonderful EASTER.

ladyfi said...

Gorgeous shots. And so fascinating to read about your life.

Suza said...

Happy birthday my dear. Enjoy your birthday.
Very nice pictures from your childness.
Best regards
susa

Penelope Puddlisms said...

Happy Birthday, Nora, and Happy Easter! I bet you didn’t know you lived in paradise as a child. Time is fleeting, yet the changes that creep in slowly go unnoticed until one looks back. This is both the information and misinformation age and there is much to sort out. And even though we are bombarded with pictures now, the old black and whites are the most precious and rare.

Sandra said...

I loved reading about your life and your growing up years. they pretty much echo mine. not an island life but the same type life and we were talking this morning about the way our lives are now compared to our childhoods. Happy Birthday.... thanks for sharing.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

A very great and happy birthday to ya!

Love twilight!!

Linda W. said...

You were lucky to grow up in a such a beautiful, simple place. Yes, our world is much more complex now.

ellen b. said...

A very happy birthday to you Nora! Coming here a little late from ABC Wednesday's acknowledgement of your birthday. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
http://happywonderer.com/

Pete Duxon said...

happy birthday Nora

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Cheers, Nora, to your new trip around the sun! May it be full of joy, love, fun, and wonder. :-)

Betsy Adams said...

Happy Birthday, Nora.... Great post... I love personal posts like this --but so many bloggers don't talk about themselves and their families and give details about their lives and travels.. Blogging has changed since I began in 2006... I have never enjoyed memes ---and as you know, there are MANY out there these days...

YES--it would be nice to go back to a simpler day in time... I look at our world today (and my country) and just want to cry. Very sad what is happening all around us.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful area with us.
Hugs,
Betsy

Giga said...

Happy Birth. Life in such a beautiful place by the sea can only envy. Regards.

Melody Steenkamp said...

I have been out all day.... so my congratulations in your previous post but now i am home again, ofcourse here also my most sincere birthday congratulations and wishes for you that all your hearts desires will come true.

Melody (abc-w-team)

Fun60 said...

You are fortunate to have a few photos of yourself as a child. It looks as though your childhood was in a wonderful area full of happy memories.

Joyful said...

Happy Birthday to you Nora! Your photos are stunning and your childhood photos are precious. How lucky you are to have them. I can only imagine all the changes you've seen in your life time. I hope you enjoy a lovely weekend.

KaHolly said...

Well, happy belated birthday, Nora! Your childhood to age twelve sounds delightful. I understand Vancouver Island is pretty built up, now, and very populated. You were very fortunate to have experienced it beforehand. XO

Stephanie said...

A Happy Belated Birthday to you, Nora. You were so very lucky to have a childhood that you had. I, too, wish it would stop growing here on the island. So much has changed since we moved here 7 years ago. Hope you had a good birthday yesterday.

Lori Skoog said...

Happy Birthday Nora. I loved reading about your childhood and hope you will post more of what you did after age 12. Such an interesting story. And your photographs! Breathtaking.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Happy Birthday to you. Life was in many was simpler back then,but I still prefer the technology we have now and the easy access to all that we need.

Jim said...

Beautiful skies

fredamans said...

Happy birthday. Wishing you many more!

Robert Nicolaescu said...

Beautiful post.
Happy Birthday!

Dragonstar said...

The very best of wishes on your birthday! Your early photos are a precious treasure. I often long for a return to simplicity - but I've become a lot softer with increased age and I know Id be unable to cope with the life. The only way is to continue to move forward. At least my computer allows me to travel to places I'd otherwise never be able to visit.

Jenny said...

Happy belated Birthday.
The photos of the beach are gorgeous.
I hope you have many opportunities to spend time away from the hustle of urban life.

robin andrea said...

Happy birthday wishes to you, Nora. I am absolutely grateful that you took up photography and blogging. My life has been enriched by what you see. I would like to go back in time too. Not sure which era, but it would be interesting to think about when. Hope your eyes are feeling better. Please take care there.

Sciarada said...

Happy Birthday to you !

Amy Barlow Liberatore/Sharp Little Pencil said...

Happy birthday, Nora, from another ABC Wednesday blogger! Thank you for sharing photos from your childhood. Yes, things have changed so much... Amy

LV said...

Happy birthday and many more blessed ones. I can relate to your childhood ad I was born during the depression.

Jeanne said...

Nora, I hope your birthday was very special. Your story of your life was such an interesting read. It is hard to imagine the remote place where you spent your young years. I commend you for your journey through the years and how independent you must be to leave home a young girl and make a life for yourself. The photos of you are really darling.

Thank you for joining Blue Monday at Backyard Neighbor.
Jeanne

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS