Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Birds and Butterflies





The butterflies have arrived in my area! And we have an unknown hawk.




On March 16, 2016, I took this picture of my first Mourning Cloak for this year at Muir Creek. It's name comes from  a similarity to a cloak worn in mourning.  There also are some at Swan Lake.
For the ABC Wednesday and the letter "M". Another Mourning Cloak below from last year.


Also arriving soon in the area are the following butterflies. Some are already here!  I can't wait till they all come home and I can see them again!

Spring Azure
 Sara Orangetip
 Propertius Duskywing
Spring Azure
 Cabbage White
 Cabbage White
Grey Hairstreak
 Mylitta Crescent 
Pine White
 I have an on-going struggle with my eyes.
The memes for this week I will try to join are:





For Wild Bird Wednesday.

We have had a mystery hawk at Swan Lake!  He is very dark and he has white on his tail.  At first a birder said he may be a Harlan's Hawk.  I think now the consensus is that he is a dark-morph Red- tailed Hawk.  Very pretty!  Here is an article on how to identify the dark Hawk.

To continue reading my posts you may click older post below or see the index on the side or pick a popular post from the sidebar or label below. Thanks.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

24 comments:

  1. i have never seen any of these butterflies and they are all wonderful. i especially like the mourning cloak. it looks like the cloaks they wore in the 1700's.. beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What gorgeous macro butterfly shots and other nature's beauties ~

    Wishing you peace in your day ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nora those butterflies are incredibly beautiful; I am in such awe of your knowledge (knowing all their names) as well as of your photography talents. A stunning collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! I love all the pretty butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifull collection of butterflies! So lovely to see them! Maybe now that Spring arrived, I'll see more than last year. Till now I've seen only one...
    Greetings in April!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an array of winged beauty.
    And it only just started.
    BTW, have you tried a hefty dose of Vit.C? The powdered form, which I believe is used for baking?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your butterfly photos are gorgeous. It will be a while until we see them fluttering around here. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. fascinating names!

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful butterfly pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It always amazes me how many different types of butterflies there are! I visited the Butterfly Farm near Victoria once and was fascinated.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great butterflies! It's really inconsiderate of hawks to have so many different plumages! They really should try harder!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful series of photos Nora.

    I'm sorry to read about your eyes, i hope you get well soon!!

    Have a nice abc-wednesday-day / - week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing designs by nature.
    Happy ABCW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful pictures of incredible critters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful collection of butterflies. No wonder you are excited at their arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw the first Mourning Cloak at the cabin last week. The only other butterfly I've seen is a small white one, but too far off to identify or photograph. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  17. A gorgeous flutter of butterflies. I can't wait to see my first one of the year (we are having very damp uncertain spring weather, if they have any sense they will lie low)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been wanting to go to Swan Lake. We could not go the last time we were in Victoria. Lovely Butterfly images! I hope to see some this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely butterflies! I especially like the grey hairstreak and the mylitta crescent.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How lovely Nora!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful butterflies! And beautiful hawk! What a wonderful series of photos! So many different kids of butterflies....sorry you are having issues with your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful butterfly already seen this year, and beautiful soon zobaszysz. The hawk is a wonderful bird. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Nora...it must be so frustrating to have these issues with your eyes... But you got some wonderful photos of butterflies and it will be weeks before I see one.. Interesting info about the hawk..Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS