Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Friday, May 20, 2016

Light Reflecting Life



I am always looking for the light.  The right light for the camera. A camera is really light reflecting life.

This pictures above and below were taken with my cell phone as I did not have the camera with me.  My Samsung phone takes amazing photos and is so much fun to play with.  Check out Ruth's new Cell Phone Blog called Phone Photography, as she is the cell phone camera wizard. I always learn something new that she is doing. We could start a Cell Phone Meme, Saturday Cell Phones! Hey What do you think?? Comment on my comment section.


The sunset photos were taken at Elk Lake where the Rowing Club is.  They are for Weekend Reflections and Sky Watch.

 More Reflections.
These were taken at a place I call Shangri-La, but it is really called Outerbridge Park.
This property (3.8 ha (9.3 acre)) was owned by Mrs. Outerbridge from the late 80s to 2005. She spent these years creating gardens, ponds and landscape features to create an oasis for wildlife, particularly birds. For a number of years the property was known locally as the 'Shangri-La Bird and Nature Sanctuary' and was open to the public. Mrs. Outerbridge offered to sell the property to Saanich with the understanding that the park would be kept as a bird and nature sanctuary, and in 2005 it became a park.  (quoted from the Saanich Park site)


I think the Heron was at Panama Flats, not sure now.


And here is the Flower Section.  The collage is full of flowers from my backyard right now.


lilac in backyard
I am linking to all the Flower Memes, check them out they are great.  Blooming Friday, Today's Flowers, Floral Friday Photos.
 Wisteria at a shopping centre


Below is the official tulip for Canada's 150th Anniversary. Somehow we got these tulips growing under the bird feeder this year. We bought a random selection of tulips at the garden store and what a nice surprise.  They last for a long time and are so showy. I have more photos to put in later on. The colors resemble our flag. I have no idea why we had them bloom this year, they will available in all Home Hardware Stores in September.


“The tulip represents gratitude and the long-standing friendship between Canada and the Netherlands. Blooming in the colours of Canada’s flag, Canada 150 tulips will bring both pride and joy to gardens and communities from coast to coast to coast.”    (quoted from Tulips in the Capital)


Two more photos of the sky for Scenic Weekend and Sky Watch Friday.






Thank you to each of these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story. Click on any of these links for some great blogs and photos. I am linking to these memes today.
Blooming Friday   Photo Friday
Scenic Weekends  Floral Friday Fotos
Sky Watch Friday
Weekend Reflections   Today's Flowers
To continue reading posts you may click older post below or see the index on the side or pick a popular post from the sidebar or label below. Thanks.  HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS.








36 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning my blog Nora.I just enjoy playing with my phone.I feel that the camera is a more serious tool,but I can play with the phone.The Meme sounds interesting,but I have made a decision to not take part in any memes.Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. I love those sunset shots, especially the second one. And yes, a phone photography blog is a great idea. I'm guessing it already exists. I know there are a ton of phone photography groups on Flickr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Spare Parts! Have a great weekend. Yes Flickr has many photo groups, probably has a cell phone group. Flickr was started by two guys in Vancouver. I remember when it started.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Nanda! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. What lovely light!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful reflection of the pink and orangy clouds!
    As promised reminding you of SEASONS:) The photo link will open on Sunday 12:0 am) and run through Wednesday 7pm, Pacific time.
    The post is called SEASONS - Thinking about vacation (May 22-25).
    Click on "Click Here" typed in red, on the bottom of the post, then a new page opens up(a bit different, because I have a wordpress blog)

    A little early since I'm going out of the door by 8 am Saturday and coming back very late at night. Enjoy your weekend! Hope to see you there:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannette, thanks for the info. Hope I get time to do it this week. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  6. Love your sky and reflection photos. Have a wonderful weekend Nora. I hope the weather will be nice for you on this long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyful! Have a great weekend. Yes I think the weather will be good, except Monday not so good.

      Delete
  7. Wow - great photos! I have a Samsung phone too, I'll have to check out your friend's blog and learn how to use it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! Have a great weekend. Yes cell phones are the camera's of the future, I find them hard to use sometimes as it is hard to see the screen in bright sunlight.

      Delete
  8. Photography is painting with light...
    An impressing wisteria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Villrose! Have a great weekend. I love that saying, as we paint with words, with light, with photography and all kinds of ways.

      Delete
  9. WOW...those are some of the most amazing cell phone photos that I have ever seen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Optimistic! Have a great weekend. You have a most amazing site with wonderful stories to tell.

      Delete
  10. Hello, lovely series of images. I love the pretty skies and reflections. The birds are all beautiful. Great post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen! Have a great weekend. I will see you on your critter meme soon I hope.

      Delete
  11. Great post! So many beautiful reflections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James! Have a great weekend. You find the best reflections.

      Delete
  12. Wonderful photos! I love the idea of phone photography. I don't take many photos with our iPhone, but I may try. This is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, there are so many good apps on the cell phone for photography, it is more of a fun thing to do and not as serious as photography with a camera.

      Delete
  13. such a beautiful post as always Nora. That tulip is so special -- amazing it bloomed sort of by itself for you. I'm glad that Mrs Outerbridge donated that land and her efforts to the public; that is so heartwarming to hear and it looks like ShangriLa indeed. Beautiful place (you really kind of live in ShangriLa anyway I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie! Have a great weekend. Yes I do not know how we got some of these Canada tulips. They last a long time and really are so amazing.

      Delete
  14. The park really looks like a birder's Shangri-La! Beautiful images of flowers an landscape compositions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kenneth! Have a great weekend. You have so many birds where you are though, it is more of a birders Shangri-La there I think.

      Delete
  15. I have not got a cell phone. Your suenset is stunning and I love all the shots with reflections as well as that Tulip. Have a good week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your reflection photos are really beautiful. Mrs. Outerbridge certainly made a lovely park for birds and people to enjoy.
    I just recently got a smart phone (Telus told me my old phone was too old and I had to ditch it :( ). The good news is that the new phone takes great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos! My cell phone photo taking skills are very bad. For some reason, I do not use to like the final product. I see at the pictures other capture with heir phones and wonder what I am doing wrong. Will have to learn some tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  19. All your photos are just gorgeous! Lovely reflections and critters and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delightful shots!
    Thank you for joining us at the Floral Friday Fotos meme.

    ReplyDelete
  21. All marvelous photos. Sorry I am so late, life got in the way this week but I really appreciate you linking with Today's Flowers again. Thank you so much! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such gorgeous colours in these photos. Love the bird reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much for all the kind comments here. I have gone to each of your sites to thank you. I really appreciate how many bloggers come to my site and leave me a nice note!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS