Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Weekend Island Photos


The weekend is here again and here are my photos for......

you!  That is me standing in the sunset on the dock at Elk Lake.
(for Weekend Reflections) It is like the sky was painted for me.

This is the same lake, just looking the other way.  (for Sky Watch Friday)

Up on Mount Tolmie, my obsession with taking silhouette shots.

For Saturday Silhouettes


The sailboats out in the bay at Cattle Point.  Two people taking a selfie.  (for Scenic Weekend)


At Playfair Park there is a huge selection of mature rhododendron plants and a nice lily. (for Floral Friday Fotos)

 For Today's Flowers
 For Shadow Shot Sunday

 For Pink Saturday

For Saturday's Critters 
Elk at Cowichan Bay

For Camera Critters 
A Bunny up on Mount Tolmie

The tale of Two Otters

I sometimes wear water shoes and walk up a river by myself.
I was up to my knees in the river when two heads popped up beside me!  The otters were playing and having so much fun they did not notice me, then they swam directly toward me. There were about five of them. Hmmm I wonder should I run back, (no I just took pictures). Then a mink jumped in the water and was playing with them.  It was really dark where they were so the pictures were not great, but I have the pictures in my mind.

Butterflies:
 I seem to be the Butterfly Whisperer

 This is a Lorquin's Admiral Butterfly.
(Limenitis lorquini)
This butterfly is named after a French guy (naturalist) who came to California during the Gold Rush.  The Larvae like willow, poplar, cherry and cottonwood.  Females larger than males. They are territorial and will even attack a bird.


 Butterfly lands on my hand.

When it is hot (and I am out birding) I wear a big man's blue shirt and the butterflies love it.
You can see one landing on my pocket.

 Red Admiral Butterfly
(Vanessa atalanta)
The caterpillar feeds on nettles. The name may have been Red Admirable and changed to Admiral. "Atalanta" from Greek mythology is a strong yet feminine woman who faces obstacles and backlash for refusing to follow gender norms. Ha Ha when I read that!  This is why I like this butterfly. And it seems to like me too!



Thank you to each of these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story. Click on any of these links for some great blogs and photos.
Scenic Weekends  Floral Friday Fotos
Sky Watch Friday  Saturday's Critters  Camera Critters  Pink Saturday Saturday Silhouettes
Weekend Reflections   Today's Flowers  Shadow  Shot Sunday 
To continue reading posts you may click older post below or see the index on the side or pick a popular post from the sidebar or label below. Thanks.  HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS.



27 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures.The sunset ones are stunning and I love how the butterflies come to you.That is very special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sunsets are dreamlike - fantastic. I really like the sailboats on the fresh blue water. The whole scene is so refreshing. How fun to get up close and personal with some of the critters, the otters and mink, and the butterflies that are attracted to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Professional looking photos here. I really like the first, third and fourth photos.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Alexander
    Alex's World! - http://alex.kakinan.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of silhouette shots, and I really like the one of you on the dock (first photo)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful images from the island. I like the different views of sky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic scenery here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty colours in those skies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning sunset pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - gorgeous sky shots. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sunsets and silhouettes are gorgeous Nora. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, gorgeous sky and silhouettes. Love the blossoms and butterflies.Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. awwww...love flutterbys, and skyscapes

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the silhouette images as well as the sunset ones. Also all your flower shots are wonderful as well as the elk. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the first shot is stunning, love your otters and butterflies too..

    ReplyDelete
  15. A delightful post with many beautiful photos. Thank you for being such a good friend to Today's Flowers and happy weekend to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love all these photos! Such beautiful scenes & creatures!
    Have a happy weekend!
    Christineandhercamera.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, wonderful critters. I love the elk, the otters are very cool. Adorable bunny. The butterflies are pretty. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Wishing you a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, all of your photos are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some scenic sky colours and love the view of the distant boats.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely sunset reflections and all the others as well.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  21. Last year I saw a Lorquin's Admiral butterfly at the cabin for the first time. So far this year it's been Mourning Cloaks, Swallowtails and some little blue ones that love the mud in my garden. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lucky you to have had such an encounter with not just otters, but a mink too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nora these are beautiful photos this week. I love the idea of you wading in the water while the otters played nearby and even a mink joined them. That would be so cool! I wish you a beautiful week ahead.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH my gosh this is a fascinating post ... love all the beauty;.. your pictures are so crisp and clear and bright and beautiful. I am in absolutge awe that you are brave enough to walk up the river like that by yourself. And to see those otters and a mink absolutely makes my heart flutter -- how wonderful. Thanks for sharing it all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post, Nora! I like all of your photos and the flowers especially, of course.
    Many thanks for joining Floral Friday Fotos, I look forward to your next contribution!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful silhouettes!
    Thank you for joining us at Saturday Silhouettes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much for all the kind comments here. I have gone to each of your sites to thank you. I really appreciate how many bloggers come to my site and leave me a nice note!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS