Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Monday, January 16, 2017

Bunting 101


We had another beautiful visitor to our part of the world.

A Snow Bunting appeared at the Michell Airpark the home of the Victoria Radio Control Model Airplane Society a few weeks ago. It was during that terrible cold time with the high winds. I was freezing as I quickly took a picture.


Apparently the Snow Buntings like the open fields. This one just sat in the open field and flew around eating some grass seeds. We get them here sometimes so they are not completely rare I guess.


I always enjoy their beautiful colors and this one had so much white and buff on him.  In the summer they change and go completely black and white.  I like the winter style with all the colors.

They are a busy little bird, usually in flocks in the north.  They are circumpolar Arctic breeders. In the north they can be seen burrowing in the snow to keep warm or having a bath in the snow.



This post is for Our World Tuesday, ABC Wednesday and Wild Bird Wednesday.  Thank you to the Our World Team and Mrs. Nesbitt and ABC Team and Stewart at Wild Bird.
This is a post I did in 2013 when we had another Bunting visit us.
Victoria Snow Bunting.  I had much better pictures back then for some reason.  Have a great week everyone.

Free stuff:
New App Toys To Play With:
Here are two exciting apps to put on your phone for when you are out and about.  The Cornell Merlin Bird ID App will identify any bird for you if you just take a photo of it and it will give you all the info on it. (you can load your area in, world wide I think.) Also the GardenAnswers Plant Identification App will identify any plant that you take a picture of.  Great stuff hey! I will be putting in my favorite free stuff each week.

18 comments:

Fun60 said...

That was a beautiful, surprise visitor

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a lovely bird! Would love to see it in 'person' but your picturs are great in the meantime. (And I'm sure I wouldn't get such good pics if I were lucky enough to ever see one.) Great links -- thank you very much!!!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful pictures. We have quite a few Snow Buntings around here,but they seem to always be on the moves are very hard to photograph.

Lady Fi said...

What a precious visitor. Lovely shots!

baili said...

i loved your island so much!!! [in your heading photo]

this surprise visitor is interesting !

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Lovely little birds. They are winter visitors to our British coasts and just rare enough to get excited about when you see a flock of them rising off the beach.

Kay L. Davies said...

I love The Island, too. Yes, I'm a born and bred British Columbian, so I always capitalize "The Island"! I haven't been there in years because I have been transplanted to Alberta.
I would think snow buntings would be here rather than there, as there is so much more snow here, but I'm uneducated on the subject of birds. I'm one of those old ladies who says "Ooh, isn't that bird cute?"
And, indeed, your snow buntings are very cute!
Kay
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Linda W. said...

What a pretty bird! Glad you were able to get some photos of it.

robin andrea said...

I love that you got see this beautiful Snow Bunting and share these photos with us. What a joy to see such a beauty!

Melody Steenkamp said...

gorgeous bird indeed.... feeling a little jealous of you that you have seen it so close.... I know them from zoo's and I know they sing beautifully!

Have a nice ABC-Wednesday / _ Week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc=w=team)
http://melodymusic.nl/abc-wednesday-20b/

carol l mckenna said...

Perfect post for B and love the photos of the sweet Snow Bunting ~ thanks,

Wishing you a Happy Week Ahead ~ ^_^

Anu said...

Great photos! We have also Snow Buntings here in Finland. Now, in winter, they live in Central Europe. Beautiful birds.

Jenny said...

Interesting photos of the bunting that shows her striking markings so well. We get flocks of 30-50 around here (Eastern Ontario), usually in the open fields but it's hard to ever get close to them. They are very flighty and easily startled.

Roger Owen Green said...

bunting! I always think baseball...

ROG, ABCW

Jenn Jilks said...

Buntings, I love them!
So sweet!
My kids, in Vancouver, are off to Hawaii for a vacation!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

Black Jack's Carol said...

I don't have many apps on my phone but those look REALLY interesting. Also loved seeing and reading about your Beautiful Bunting!

Giga said...

It's nice to have the possibility to see quite often these humming birds. Regards.

Nora said...

Thanks so much for all the kind comments here. I have gone to each of your sites to thank you. I really appreciate how many bloggers came back to me after being away from blogging for so long.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS