Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Clay-colored Sparrow


Here is another pretty new bird, a Clay-colored sparrow.


There was one visiting a feeder out in Sidney.  He looked somewhat like a Chipping but not really as the colors around his eyes are different. There is a lot of white around this ones eye compared to the Chipping with the dark streak. And the Chipping has a more rusty colored head.


He seems to be enjoying the seed in the feeders.

They usually are in the Great Plains but sometimes I guess they get mixed up and end up on our coast here.

Have a great week birders and bloggers.  It is very busy here with rare birds showing up each week.
This post is for Our World TuesdayABC Wednesday and Wild Bird Wednesday.  Thank you to the Our World Team and Mrs. Nesbitt and ABC Team and Stewart at Wild Bird.

16 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Some of those little Sparrows can be difficult to ID.That's where photos come in handy.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

He's loving that hanging restaurant in your yard! Sweet little sparrow. And great ID skills-- I have as much trouble with sparrows as I do with shorebirds -- and that is a lot of trouble. Have a great rest of your week Nora.

mick said...

Great photos of a lovely little bird.

Nora said...

Hi Sallie, thanks for the lovely comment. Our little visiting friend was in another yard much nicer than mine!

Sue (this n that) said...

A cute little bird Nora. Always fun to see how sprightly the little ones can be. Your feeder is a good design. Cheers and best wishes :D)

Roger Owen Green said...

great closeups!
ROG, ABCW

Anu said...

Congrats on that Clay-colored sparrow! Great photos!

Margaret Adamson said...

It is lovely to see something more unusual on your patch and they are very good photographs Of the Sparrow

Melody Steenkamp said...

Lovely photo's ....birds have something special, don't they? as small as they are, as strong in survival

Have a nice ABC-Wednesday / _ Week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc=w=team)
http://melodymusic.nl/abc-wednesday-20c/
(want to take a preview at the new url starting round 21 ? http://abcwednesday.wordpress.com)

Fun60 said...

Another type of sparrow I wouldn't recognise. Love to watch the birds enjoying themselves on a feeder. Have a good week.

robin andrea said...

When I look at the photos, it makes me wonder if I've seen one here. Sparrows are so hard to ID. Nice seeing this one!

HOOTIN ANNI said...

I like these images...I've seen only ONE of these in my area. Fantastic images!

Kay L. Davies said...

What a sweet bird— I wonder how it got so far from home. (Well, yes, it flew, but I wonder why.)
I've seen a flock of small birds here in southeastern Alberta, which is unusual for January in our frigid climate. We get deer, however, to eat the fruit on our ornamental crabapple tree, and we see rabbits, too.
I miss the milder weather on the BC coast. And I haven't been to the Island for several years. When my parents stopped traveling and settled down, it was on the Island, and I loved to visit them there. Long ago and far away now, though.
Kay
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I hope it wasn't a strong wind that brought it your way. I like to think it wanted to go down another road.

Joy said...

Subtle colouring, lives up to its name. Lovely photos.

Nora said...

Thanks so much for all the kind comments here. I have gone to each of your sites to thank you. I really appreciate how many bloggers came back to me after being away from blogging for so long.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS