Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Pink-footed Geese and Rare Birds




GREAT BIRDING!
Lots of Local Rare Birds to See Right Now:  Birding here is GREAT!



The Big Excitement is the Redwing has returned to the same holly trees it was in last year at South Valley!  I got to see it the other day. It was eating holly berries! The picture is from last year as I have not been able to get a picture this year.


The Pink-footed GEESE are still around the fields mostly over at Blenkinsop Lake.  The Purple Sandpiper is still seen sometimes down at the rocks in Oak Bay off of Beach Drive. The Catbird has not been reported for a few days and is hiding in a private yard somewhere.


The Mockingbird is still being seen in Duncan. There is an American Black Duck at Beacon Hill Park, always there. In the Nanaimo Estuary there is a Slaty-backed GULL.  Also reports of a white-winged Scoter and a Ring-billed GULL. I hope you like my pictures of the pinkies and you can see their pink legs and feet in some of them if you click for larger versions.



Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos. This post is for these wonderful bloggers below:


The Bird D'Pot  Sunday Thank you Hootin' Anni
Seasons on Sunday Thank you Jeannette
Nature Notes Tuesday Thank you to Ramblingwoods
Our World Tuesday  Thank you to the Our World Team
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you to Stewart
ABC Wednesday   Thank you to Mrs. Nesbitt and the Team
We are at the letter "G" for Pink-footed Geese!




HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

19 comments:

  1. Great pictures of the pink feet - I'd not heard of them - nor seen some of the rare birds you mentioned - what a great post, I'll be watching to see some strange birds around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely series of bird photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post - Geese and Redwings were always a sign of winter for me in the UK. Would be nice to catch up with some again.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such amazing shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Nora for joining ALL SEASONS for its first year celebration with these beautiful birds!
    Got your note about leaving the url.
    Wordpress does things differently than Blogspot - and I know for you at blogspot it's harder to get a hold of me. Also, because it depends on the blog-theme how to get to the right post. When I leave a comment on a blogspot blog, I need to leave a profile-username. So, that's why you get the collective name of all my blogs (also the previous ones).
    If you know my current blog address, you can always reach me by typing it in via google.
    I always put "ALL SEASONS" as part of the title of my post. My current url is artworksfromjeshstg(dot)wordpress(dot)com
    Many thanks for the effort and wishing you a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Nora it is a wonderful place to bird. I've never seen a mockingbird in the Pacific Northwest; never saw one until we traveled south. And now you have them? I am flabbergasted. Beautiful bird pictures. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely creatures, aren't they, wel fotographed too

    Have a nice ABC-Wednesday / _ Week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc=w=team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/abc-wednesday-21-g/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I lived most of my life in BC, and my parents lived for some years on the Island, where I loved to visit them. But I am thrilled with all the names of the birds you photograph. What an interesting bunch...and an interesting mix. I'm impressed.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belle série ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos - like Sallie I've never seen a Mockingbird here in southern British Columbia, - as a matter of fact I have never seen a mockingbird. Love your pictures of the geese with the pretty pink feet!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, they are cute geese. It would be a new bird for me. Great collection of photos. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great bird photos!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photography of our 'feathered friends' ~ love the Geese for G ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a Happy Day ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. interesting bird shots! Not that easy
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have in New Zealand Canadian geese presented to New Zealand by the President of USA. They had multiplied and farmers want to cull them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Nora..I always enjoy seeing the birds...I am reading with one eye patched still I get it done next week... Makes me less dizzy...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. What lovely shots of the geese, you are blessed to live in a place with so many
    birds and creatures around you, your pictures are wonderful,
    thank you so much for sharing them with us,
    Best wishes,
    Di.
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice looking birds (especially with the pink legs & feet). Also really good photos of them all.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Please do not link in a comment, I have to then delete as there is too much spam going on.
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS