Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Friday, February 10, 2017

Reflecting Snow and Birds


The Weekend In Black and White - This is a barn not far from where I live.  We  had a lot of snow lately.  The goose flew into the photo!




Weekend Reflections:    This is the snow reflecting on the windows of the shop at Butchart Gardens.  There were not many people there as we were snowed in.  With my leukemia I can't go out among the people so I have to find places where there are no people just birds and scenery! Below is another shop window at Butcharts reflecting the snow covered tree.  Please see the links below to see all the great photos at these link-ups. (you can see snow falling also in the top photo)



Saturday's Critters: I think Eileen will really like this photo of the horse in the snow.  I did not photoshop it, I had to remove my Adobe Photoshop as it is not working with Windows 10.  I like how the circle spots just magically appeared!  I think it was snowing.




For Pink Saturday:  This is the wallpaper at Butchart Gardens. Apparently they always have had rose wallpaper in the sunroom since the early days so they continue the tradition.  The photos are of the gardens in the past days.  The rose wallpaper is so pretty.



The Bird D'Pot Sunday - For Anni I have the Flicker on my feeder, he gets really annoyed when it is empty. But why does he let the starlings get at it! I think this is the female. I have four or five that come in and one is a yellow shafted too.



Another Bohemian Waxwing for you.  It is so rare for us to get this kind of Waxwing here.  We get the Cedar Waxwing.  Climate changes are bringing in all sorts of new birds here.


QUESTION OF THE DAY:
What photo editing apps or programs do you use to edit your photos? I really need to know as my Adobe Elements is not operating with Windows 10.

Thank you to each of these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story. Click on any of these links for some great blogs and photos.  This post is for these wonderful bloggers:

The Weekend in Black White  Thank you to Dragonstar
Weekend Reflections Thank you to James
Saturday's Critters  Thank you to Eileen
Pink Saturday Thank you to Beverly
The Bird D'Pot  Sunday Thank you Hootin' Anni

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS.




29 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures as expected. I think Butchart Gardens would be beautiful in winter as well. I use Adobe Lightroom for all my editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. I think I will get a new Adobe, mine is older.

      Delete
  2. I love the photos and especially the last one where you've captured the Waxwing with a berry in it's mouth. Wonderful!

    I'm not doing much photo editing these days but when I do, I use the free stuff...Paint for resizing mainly and Windows Photos for anything else.

    I also learned there is a good program called Capture One. You can compare Lightroom and Capture one here
    https://fstoppers.com/originals/lightroom-or-capture-one-pro-which-raw-processor-best-24769

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyful, I will investigate the link. I think there are so many editing programs I am not sure what to pick!

      Delete
  3. Hi Nora, here is another program a friend told me about. You may want to investigate. I hear it is good and is not as expensive as the other (and is on sale at the moment). You can also work in RAW (as you can with the Capture One). http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/ Lightroom has the benefit of tutorials if you need that but if you are looking for other qualities then you may look at the others. Feel free to deleted my comments as I know you don't like links in comments. Cheers and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks, these links are fine! These are good links for me. I could not find that one above, but probably just me. I will go again and see.

      Delete
  4. It's me again, lol. Sorry I think I sent you the wrong link for the PaintShop program that works in RAW. Here it is http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/ultimate/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think it was ok as I got it the first time also. These links look really good and I will check them out. I am nervous about adding new programs to my laptop as it was crashing all the time. Hopefully will figure out something so I can be creative again.

      Delete
  5. Hello Nora, Your photos all have a little surprise attached to them and are delightful!
    How gorgeous that the goose flew into your shot... wildlife photographers would yearn their socks off for such an opportune shot!!
    I really love the 'spotted' horse - tricks of the light are fabulous... you got a beauty. Also with the snow reflections in the window.
    I agree, that rose wallpaper is beautiful.
    For photo editing I just use Photoscape and Gimp which are both free online.
    Cheerio for now, lovely catching up again. Sue :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sue. I will check out Photoscape and Gimp, free is good!

      Delete
  6. Great photos, the b&w shot is fantastic.

    http://blog.photobymanka.se/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magnus. Your photos are great also.

      Delete
  7. You really caught that cedar wax wing mid-bite. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, yes they were very hungry birds and I think they had so many berries they got drunk!

      Delete
  8. I am enjoying all of your pictures... The horse in snow is fabulous --and of course, I love ALL reflection pictures...

    AND--the flicker is beautiful.... We have them here also.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Betsy! I had so much fun visiting your blog yesterday! Glad I found you on facebook also.

      Delete
  9. Lovely black and white photo. The goose timed its arrival perfectly! (I use Paint.Net, which is free, if I need to edit.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dragonstar, I will check out Paint.Net and see what it does. Your photos are amazing.

      Delete
  10. This is such a beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, I cannot compare to what Reflections James can find! He can show you Europe in a total reflection!

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much for all the kind comments here. I will go to each of your sites to thank you. I really appreciate how many bloggers come to my site and leave me a nice note especially since I was gone for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adore the first scene with the flying goose. So appealing. And your birds are delightful.
    I endeavour to do minimal editing of my photos, but, if I need to re-size especially, I use the free version of PicMonkey. It's very user friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't been by for ages to visit your blog. Love the bird photos. Hope you survived the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the snow reflections which give the pictures a fantasy feel.\
    I only do simple photo editing and I use Gimp, which is free. It works fine with Windows 10.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great treat to see your photos
    HPS
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the photos here, especially the eagles which I rarely see except when I'm in Nova Scotia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, Nora, these are all lovely photos. The horse in the snow is pretty. I love the goose flying in the first shot too.
    Awesome reflection captures. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy Sunday and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the dove and the flicker...but I must say the perfect timing of the goose to get into the barn photo is just perfect. Pure genius - it wanted to be blog famous!!!

    Thanks for adding your post link to this page for us all at I'd Rather B Birdin'.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another group of beautiful creatures and beautiful photos of them.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS