Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Young Hawk Wins Food War


Spunky the Young Hawk Baby is very Spunky!  The parent dropped off the food and.....




the young hawk mantled over it and would not allow the eaglets to eat any of it! It was the most exciting five or ten minutes while he covered the food over with his wings. I wondered if he would be attacked by the young eaglets as he covered the food with his wings for an extended long time while I nearly passed out.



I hoped I was not filming him being hurt. And I was not as it all went fine.  He was so strong and determined to keep the food from the eaglets even though he is so tiny compared to them.



 You can click on pictures for larger or for slide show.


The young eaglets tried to peer under his tail feathers looking at the food in a very meek and mild manner.  The hawk is number one at the nest. Later on after the hawk ate all the food and the eaglets watched in wonder, he climbed up on the branch and one of the eaglets went up and gave him a little tiny, tender flap with his wings! I guess that was pay-back for eating the food.



So then the hawk went one branch down and the eaglets jumped into the nest and parent dropped the food for the eaglets and the parent flew out of the nest to get out of there fast.
The hawk was screaming the whole time as the eaglets ate and he climbed back into the nest and sat on a branch.




I had another blog prepared for today on the letter "y" so I am using some of MY text that I put on the Hancock Wildlife Forum Page on this eagle's nest to get the blog done fast, as you all know I hate doing the text now on my blog! I just like pictures! The people on there have named the hawk Spunky and he is really quite a bully to take on three eaglets and get all the food.


This is part of a continuing story I am doing on the Young Red-tailed hawk that is being raised by two eagles in their nest in Sidney, B.C. with three of their own baby eagles.
My posts are here on the Baby Hawk:
Hawk Fledges
Hawk Update
Hawk Adopted by Eagles
Eagles Adopt Hawk
Eagles Raise Hawk Baby


I am adding in some Yellow birds for the ABC Link Up as we are at the letter "Y" for Young Hawk and Yellow Birds.  I had this post prepared before I got the hawk and eagle photos so the blog is extra long today.
 Scrub Jay, Wilson's Warbler, White crowned Sparrow

Scrub Jay again and Woodland Skipper for Macro Monday.
 Yellow-headed Blackbird
Yellow phase House Finch, Yellow Breasted Chat
 Yellow Rumped Warbler
Yellow Rumped Warbler and a Myrtle more white colored Warbler


I have uploaded to my islandrambles YouTube site seven videos of the hawk in the eagles nest mantling over the food and sitting on the branches.  I am not sure if I will put all the videos in here.  You will have to check my site and see the rest of them I guess.

I am on Facebook so you can find me there, link in contact on the top. You can see my Island Rambles Fan Page and also my own Facebook. I have started on Instagram also so you can find my photos there also.
Video Insert here:














Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos. This post is for these wonderful bloggers:

MacroMonday 2 Thank you to Gemma Magical Mystical Teacher
the butterfly is my macro Gemma.
Nature Notes Tuesday Thank you to Ramblingwoods
Our World Tuesday  Thank you to the Our World Team
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you to Stewart
ABC Wednesday   Thank you to Mrs. Nesbitt and the Team
The letter Y for yellow and Young Hawk today.




HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

21 comments:

  1. Your persistence has resulted in some great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update Currently Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  2. That is amazing, Nora! What a journey you have documented.
    If you recall, the blue jays killed our owlet, but the adults are back together and may still have another brood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they do Jenn. Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for continuing to follow the antics of the baby hawk (and posting about it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  4. This hawk story remains riveting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heartily agree!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much to you both. Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  6. Amazing! Just shows what a bit of bluff will do :D)
    Thanks for your update Nora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  8. Food war! Sounds like a cable TV show!
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does Roger! July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  9. Its a real treat to see them in the wild and so close... I feel a little jealous of you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Melody, I am sure you see a lot of wildlife there! July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  10. This needs to be made into a book. Amazing story and well captured Nora... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a book!! Good idea!! July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Please do not link in a comment, I have to then delete as there is too much spam going on.
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS