Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Baby Hawk in Eagles Nest Sidney, B.C. Continues



This is just an extra post on the baby hawk who was raised in the eagles nest in Sidney. B.C. (please click the read more link....)






Friday, June 30th, 2017
We found the little hawk on the roof of a resident's house.  The crows were bothering him a lot and I think we saw a kestrel fly at him also.



 After the hawk watched the lady of the house hang out her washing, the crows were coming in dangerously close to him so he got very frightened and flew to his "safety tree".  It is nice and shady at the safety tree and he can see the nest as it is close by.  He likes to sit there and no one bothers him.  He looks very healthy and happy when he is away from the crows.


It is incredibly hard to watch him being harassed by crows and perhaps that kestrel that came in on him.  It is very painful to see his reaction as they dive bomb him.  He thinks he is an eagle and has no comprehension as to what is happening and why they are attacking him. I am not even sure I can put the videos of that in or watch them.


He spends a lot of his day on his own, out of the nest and not with his sibling eagle family so he is a lonely little guy as well. The eaglets are so big now that they are a little dangerous with their big wings. He was not injured today by crows or the other bird whatever it was, but it is a very difficult thing to watch.
Even in his safety tree later on in the day he was being harassed by the crows again.  He spent most of the day here in this tree.


The parent eagles both flew into the nest when the crows were harassing him but they did not fly over to where he was.  When the parents flew into the nest there was a lot of screaming and hootin' and hollering by the eagle family.


Perhaps there was food that came in but I did not see it.  The little hawk did not fly over to the nest.  I am not sure when he was fed last, perhaps yesterday. Perhaps the adult eagles saw the other intruder that was harassing the hawk, it could have been a merlin or a kestrel or something.

The eaglets look like they could fledge any day now.  They jump and flap really high up in the nest and on the branches.  I think the parents will try not to bring as much food in to encourage the eaglets to fly out and meet them at the beach. I hope the hawk gets fed soon.





On Thursday, June 29th, 2017, in the evening the little hawk spent some time in the nest and then flew to a tree overlooking the beach.

It will be interesting to see what happens when they all can fly.Thanks for sharing this adventure with me.



PLEASE SHARE MY POSTS ON FACEBOOK AND YOUTUBE:
I am on Facebook so you can find me there, link in contact on the top. You can see my Island Rambles Fan Page and also my own Facebook. I have started on Instagram also so you can find my photos there also.
Video Links: Here are the EXTRA Videos I did of the little hawk who grew up in an eagles nest: There are many more at my YouTube site that are new.

















I have not put in the videos of the crows attacking the hawk as I have not looked at them yet perhaps later today.

A YouTube person has asked me why the videos are so short and complained that the site needed long videos.  I do the videos hand held so I can get flying shots.  The action of the hawk moves very quickly to different locations.  I could sit with a tripod but I would miss most of the action.  Also I  have leukemia and after a few minutes I put the camera down as I feel weak.  I could loop a whole lot of video together for long videos but the attention span of most people is short and they turn it off after one minute.  Also they upload really fast to YouTube.  So there you go!  I did take a lot of long video in the last few days.  But how much video of a hawk sitting on a branch not doing anything will people want to watch for ten minutes.  If you want long long videos check out some of the other nature sites.  This is amateur hand-held video for my own pleasure and those who want to share the journey with me. I like short videos!  ;-)  What do my readers this of this.  Do you like long or short videos of the hawk??




HAPPY CANADA DAY TO ALL THE CANADIANS!

Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos. This post is for these wonderful bloggers:

MacroMonday 2 Thank you to Gemma Magical Mystical Teacher
Nature Notes Tuesday Thank you to Michelle at Ramblingwoods
Our World Tuesday  Thank you to the Our World Team Lady Fi
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you to Stewart
ABC Wednesday   Thank you to Mrs. Nesbitt and the ABC Team
Thank you very much to the entire team at ABC Wednesday we will all see you at the new host site.  This has been the longest running link-up I think, thanks to those who have taken over and worked on it over the years.  I thank you all for your comments and for those many years of linking up.  Thanks to all the bloggers who have always commented and linked on this site.

For the ABC Wednesday:
We are at the letter "Z" for the ABC Link-Up.  This is a difficult one each year.  I will try to use my 'z' words to describe the young hawk in the eagles nest. The young hawk is zany, zippy, zestful and full of zeal!  The young hawk is a zephyr and he is my zenith not my zero. The young hawk is a zooid and needs to be studied in zoology.  I use a zoom lens to take my pictures of the young hawk!




HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!









30 comments:

  1. So sad for this little guy! Just said a prayer for him.

    Please keep us updated...with good news, hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hawk is doing very well and is very happy now. Thanks so much for coming and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  2. This is a great story you are covering. The little hawk keeps encountering difficulties. I hope he gets fed soon and gets independent enough to find food on his own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hawk is almost hunting now and is doing very well. He looks very good. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  3. You are wise. Log videos take too long to upload. My bandwidth isn't large, and some take too long for it to load.
    It's quite the adventure, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thanks about the videos, the long ones are taking so long to upload also. cheers.

      Delete
  4. It will be interesting to see how this story ends. I do hope the hawk will fledge successfully and find others of his kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hawk is almost hunting now and is doing very well. He looks very good. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  5. I like your post and the videos as they are. That poor little hawk -- I feel bad for him and worry; doubt I could watch the 'harassment' videos. I guess we have to accept that 'nature happens' but it sure is hard sometimes. Thanks for sharing the remarkable story -- and the sweet pictures .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hawk is getting lots of food and the crows leave him alone now. He seems to be getting food from the parents and on his own somehow. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  6. Just one point: even if the hawk were actually an eagle he would still be attacked by crows and hawks. As long as they stay above the eagle, smaller birds are generally willing to attack one--even an adult eagle, to drive it away from their area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  7. Hello Nora, I hope the hawk survives. It seems like he is on his own now. Love the photos of both the hawk and the eagles. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing, I hope the RTH chick gets fed soon.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hawk is getting lots of food and the crows leave him alone now. He seems to be getting food from the parents and on his own somehow. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad for your updates. The hawk is so beautiful. I hope he picks up his hunting/scavenging skills soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful series of photos. Amazing to consider this hawks life.
    Lovely day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  11. Nora, I think your videos are great! I'm glad I found them. I appreciate that you are sharing this rare event with all of us. I pray you go into remission. Your videos are great just the way they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hawk is getting lots of food and the crows leave him alone now. He seems to be getting food from the parents and on his own somehow. Thanks so much for your comment. Thanks for your well wishes.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing, Nora. Poor Spunky looks so lonely in one picture, but I can understand why he doesn't go back to the nest much. All that wing flapping might knock him off the nest sometime, if he doesn't stay constantly aware. Great pictures & videos. Ignore what others are saying about your videos & do what is the easiest for you. With the long videos some people post, I tend to fast forward when there is nothing really happening, until the action starts again. Don't need to worry about that with yours. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment. Thanks for the video info also.

      Delete
  13. What an amazing story of love and determination. Hope the hawk survives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawk update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  14. fine feathered friends

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hawk is getting lots of food and the crows leave him alone now. He seems to be getting food from the parents and on his own somehow. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  15. It amazes me every time Nora, how wonderful up close you can photograph these gorgeous creatures... oveerhere we don't see them in the wild all to often... and if we do, to far away so our lenses are not good enough to capture them

    Wishing you a wonderful ABC-day / -week and hopefully till next week when I may welcome you in te new home of ABC-Wednesday on http://abcwednesday.com !

    Melody (abcw-team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/20-z

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for these lovely comments. I will come to each blog when I have time. There has been a lot going on on my Island Rambles Facebook Page and my blog is getting whammed with hits and my YouTube is crazy. I am a shy person and I thought no one would be interested in the topic of the hawk, I just like it for myself. It is overwhelming and I thank my blog friends for sticking with me through this unusual time period. I love your comments bloggers. Thanks to the new readers who have found me and seem to like the hawk story. It is still an ongoing story. I am still going to post my pictures, videos and blog posts on the hawk. I am taking a little break as my husband is ill. I do have many videos and photos that you have not seen yet. cheers, Nora

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Please do not link in a comment, I have to then delete as there is too much spam going on.
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS