Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Little Hawk All Wet!


Today little hawk was all wet and ....
I wondered why?  This is the story below here.

So in the morning we went to the nest and I always look at the eaglets in the nest. My hubby goes to the beach. I do not see little hawk anywhere. I do not even hear little hawk today???
 The eaglets are in amazing good form and love the breeze off the ocean on their wings.
 Yes you are ready to fly I said to them. You can do it. Look at little hawk he can fly. Please try to fly. They seem to be the last of the eaglets in the nests here to learn to fly.
But no one wanted to fly today. So I called my husband to see what he had been doing for hours at the beach.
 It is a lovely beach. Here are some photos of it.
 The eagles nest is behind in some trees in the picture below.
Well, while I  had been looking everywhere for my little hawk, my husband says he has been sitting with him all morning again!
 Apparently as soon as little hawk saw my husband walk on the beach he flew in screaming right on to the branch above him! He just sat there contentedly preening and looking at my husband.
 He has done that three times now. I think he may be a girl and he loves my husband.
 So down I went and noticed that little hawk was quite wet on the front area there.
 I wondered why? I think perhaps he thinks he is like Dad eagle and went out into the water to fish?
 He seemed very happy! He did some grooming. He watched my husband the whole time with a keen eye.
 He gave me the white eye! or the stink eye. Actually it is called the nictitating membrane and keeps his eyes moist.
 He put up with me for a short time and then went screaming off in the direction of the nest. I guess he just likes my hubby! What are your thoughts on why he was all wet? Any ideas? I guess it was low tide and he could have gone looking for fish. He could have watched the parent eagles and be patterned after them to hunt like that in the water. A beach resident said he sees him hunting on the beach like an eagle.
 I think he will be a strong little hawk for sure and he will hunt like the eagles do! Here are a few more photos of the beach area.

 I know I should be doing the videos but I made really long long videos and they will take some work.
 I don't know what is the matter with me! I started doing a lot of short video and it was so easy. Now the videos I do are too long.
I think my leukemia is making me so tired. I see the oncologist in two weeks so keep your fingers crossed for me.
 I promise I will process and upload lots of the videos of the hawk on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as I will have time then.


I am on Facebook so you can find me there, link in contact on the top. You can see my Island Rambles Fan Page and also my own Facebook. I have started on Instagram also so you can find my photos there also.
VIDEOS HERE:











HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS AND PEOPLE WHO LOVE LITTLE HAWK!!

11 comments:

  1. I love that the hawk seems to want to hang out with your husband. That's a lovely development. I think the hawk is wet because it probably went fishing like the parent eagles do. Looking forward to your videos, Nora, and please take care. Get some rest and best wishes for a good report from the oncologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Robin. Yes I think the hawk likes to fish! I found another photo in my photo archive on Google Photos I had of a red-tailed hawk that was all wet so I feel that sometimes they do go fishing as well.

      Delete
  2. I will be doing a HAWK VIDEO MARATHON on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as I hope to have time to upload some video of the baby hawk those days. Also my camera is live video enabled so I can go live from the nest when I am there. I don't drive as my eyes are so bad now, but when I get a ride there I can try out the live feed. I know I can go live on my Facebook but I found out the camera I have has wifi in it!It is one of the cameras made for live internet or something. I may be too shy to go live, we will see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so beautiful. Nice to see something other than a Redtail. They are handsome too, but nice for a change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Nora, awesome captures of the wet Hawk. The beach looks like a pretty place. Great collection of photos. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun to watch the eaglets flapping their wings getting ready for the big take-off. It must take a while to build up muscles strong enough to flag their really big wings. Little hawk seems like a real character. He (she?) has lots of spunk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a small 16" koi removed from my pond by a red tail several years ago. The pond, which I no longer have, was a raised style. The hawk sat on the ledge, and when the koi came up to investigate, he grabbed the easiest one. I did not see this happen, but saw the hawk sitting on the edge a few days later, do assume that's what happened. I never did find one scrap of the koi. In this case the hawk didn't go into the water, just sat waiting at a convenient location, waiting for an opportunity. I have bird feeders not too far away from the former pond.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are light years ahead of me tech wise! No doubt this hawk is keen to follow mum's example. Fingers crossed that news is positive from your oncologist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nora. Greetings from Thunder Bay, Ontario :) Thank you so much for sharing this little hawk's journey with all of us through your YouTube channel and, of course, through this blog. I just love coming here and finding out some new little tidbit about the little hawk's journey to adulthood. Anyways, please take care and get lots of rest. And thanks again for doing all you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Little Hawk (You should name him/her) truly seems to be in love with your hubby.... Maybe he/she doesn't like you getting some of hub's attention... JEALOUSY!!!!!! ha ha

    Yes---I'll bet that Little Hawk does like to hurt for fish....

    Prayers for your cancer.... Hopefully the oncologist will give you some GOOD news!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures, Nora! I've watched Red-tailed Hawks for a long time and think the hawklet may have taken a bath. Hawks often splash in the water, be it a lake, a pond, or in this case, the bay. They will even bathe in a small puddle sometimes. Thanks for your frequent updates!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Please do not link in a comment, I have to then delete as there is too much spam going on.
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS