Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog, poetry and short story blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Little Hawk on a Branch or Two?


What would be better than one little hawk on a branch.....

........two little hawks on a branch! This is just in my dreams and so I created it out of my dreams into my computer. I can't wait for the day when Spunky the hawk finds a friend hawk to play with. So I made him a friend in my alternate reality. This is not real, please no one get excited. No messages.


Here he is on the branch all alone, getting ready to go to bed. He is tired. I though perhaps he would like a bath so in my reality I made a pond for him to have a bath before he goes to bed. Perhaps I would put some fish in it too! There will be a video below. This is not real either, I have a vivid imagination and have the ability to create things.



But then I remembered that Spunky the hawk likes to take a dust bath sometimes. Here he is on the roof shaking out the dust. I was sitting on the beach all alone. I could see two eagles way out on the point but no hawk at all. So I sat there and listened to the waves. I could hear some noises behind me but paid no attention. I turned to go and there was Spunky the hawk, he was with me all the time. He is my Isis. There will be a video below.  


The other day when we were there the eagles all were flying up really high.  Earlier there had been intruder eagles near the nest and there had been a territorial dispute. Little Spunky Hawk had come in and with the other adults he had helped to drive away the intruder adult eagles. That is why he is called Spunky! He has so much courage.



This is the first time I have seen the eaglets get up this high with the parents. The went higher and higher. Oh but one was still down by the nest and having a tantrum, screaming and yelling. I guess he was not ready to go up high in the thermals yet. He had a melt down until one of the sibling eaglets came back and flew close by him to settle him down. I hope he can fly with them soon.






This eaglet looks wet above, perhaps he was the one playing in the water down at the shore.


No no, I said to myself when this eaglet flew in and landed here above me.  This is the poop-shoot area. Run.


Perhaps the last pictures I will get of the two eaglets enjoying their time and trying to get as close as they can on Mom's branch. They sat there for hours, it was touching to see this closeness. I feel emotional about eagles and hawks.


Late yesterday we were coming home and passed the bay where the nest is and I saw a hawk on a branch far away overlooking the bay. Could it have been Spunky or his mother? It was dark and raining.


The eaglets play on the beach and run to the water and then run out and flap their wings in some kind of eagle game.




The eagle's nest has been on a quiet little street for twenty years. This year the hawk came and the quiet street became a viewing point for all the people. Flowers for the residents on little hawk's street, who were really strong and able to withstand the media storm and the feeding frenzy that happened around them for two months of photographers and news media and everyone else too. Amidst all this they were able to remain calm and pleasant and gracious. It will settle down now. I am eternally grateful that they did not close the street down and hope I can call some of them my friends now.



I am on Facebook so you can find me there, link in contact on the top. You can see my Island Rambles Fan Page and also my own Facebook. I have started on Instagram also so you can find my photos there also.

Thank you to each of these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story. Click on any of these links for some great blogs and photos.  This post is for these wonderful bloggers:
Sky Watch Friday  Thank you to the Sky Watch Team
Floral Friday Fotos Thank you to Nick V
The Weekend in Black White  Thank you to Dragonstar
Weekend Reflections Thank you to James
Saturday's Critters  Thank you to Eileen
Pink Saturday Thank you to Beverly
The Bird D'Pot  Sunday Thank you Hootin' Anni


here is Little Hawk waving goodnight to you all!

Video Section:










Thanks to the many people who have enjoyed my little story of the hawk.  It has brought me great joy and so many friends now. I have many views on my YouTube and Facebook Island Rambles and many friends have come to my personal Facebook.  I have worked on blogging, YouTube and photography for about 12 years.  I just started on Facebook a few years ago. I think this has been my greatest year. I really had doubts that I was any good. I feel really good about myself and my work now. I am thrilled that I can show my pictures to people now. Little hawk brought me gifts.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS AND PEOPLE WHO LOVE THE LITTLE HAWK.




10 comments:

  1. I like your computer created dreamscape! Yes, that would be nice, and I'm sure someday your 'dream' will be reality. I love the concept.

    As I love and very much enjoyed your photos today Nora.

    Thanks so much for joining us birders at I'd Rather B Birdin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, great photos of Spunky the Hawk and the Bald Eagles. They are always a treat to see. I am sure Spunky will find a mate. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures and videos make for compulsive viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful. So glad you share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spunky is such a handsome little hawk! I love your pictures and the story that goes with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you were able to capture this event on photos. Now the pictures can live on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful narration, lovely pictures and great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have enjoyed going to each of your sites over many years, I think it is over ten years now. I will never forget how kind and supportive you have been to me. Thanks so much for these wonderful comments. I read each of them and I am very thankful to have you visit my site. I really am grateful to the bloggers who have stuck with me over many years now. I thank you for joining me on my journey into blogland and I will never forget the kind comments you have given to me

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS