Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Those Darn Crows Again!



I do admire crows but they can be ......

such a bother to the eagles and the hawk.


I took this series of the parent eagle by the nest early in June when I went out to the Roberts Bay nest. The crows were such a nuisance always dive bombing her. She is the eagle who raised a hawk in her nest along with three eaglets. She is a hard worker.


The hawk was just a little bobble head in the nest at this time. The mom eagle was feeding it tenderly each day and a love story developed between the mom and the baby hawk. I could hardly see the hawk, it was so tiny. I had no idea how the story of the hawk would change my life.


The hawk grew up to be fat and happy and healthy. He ate a lot of fish and learned how to survive with three eaglets who were around ten pounds and he was only around a pound and a bit. But he was smarter and so caring and a funny character. He peeped all the time for food and the eaglets loved that as food was delivered more frequently.


Then on around the end of June, early July, it was time for Spunky the hawk to learn about crows. After he fledged he landed on a roof and the crows were attacking him a lot. Just dive bombing him but never close enough to touch him. The crows just left the eaglets alone and focused their attention on the hawk completely. In other nests the crows go about schooling the eaglets and dive bombing them. The crows were smart they realized that this eaglet was white and small and they probably knew he was a hawk all the time. They dislike hawks as hawks raid their nests.


 I  did not get the crows in the pictures, do you know why, because I was stuck on the tripod taking video of it all. I have to figure out how to take pictures and do a video at the same time.


The little hawk had no idea he was a hawk, as he was quite sure he was a baby eagle the whole time. I am sure he thought he looked just like his siblings and his mom and dad. I think this was his first identity crises, when the crows began their aggressive lessons on Crow 101. He probably realized that he was a very special kind of eagle hawk then.


At times I thought he was scared, then he would act all confident and do some preening. He was more like a teenager learning to drive for the first time.


While the crows were dive bombing the hawk I looked over the roof where the hawk was and I could see the nest from there so I took a quick picture of the family watching the episode of crow and hawk. The education of Spunky went on for some time and the whole family was glued to it. It was like Game of Thrones only it was Game of Crows to them.


The parent or what I always call the mom eagle was very upset and would call out. She did not come over to save the hawk but called out encouragement to him. Like perhaps "get that darn crow you hawk eagle". She flew up to a higher branch and kept a keen eye on the teaching lesson by the crow family in case it got out of hand she was right there the whole time. I wondered why she did not come over. It must be an eagle thing to let you baby experience things and learn about life.


The hawk flew from one part of the roof to the next.


Little hawk soon got fed up with the lessons as all children do and flew to his hide-away, his safe, secluded tree area where the crows do not bother him. He proceeded to preen his lovely feathers and comfort himself that way.  He was just to the side of the nest.


The eaglets had enjoyed the lessons very much and one stuck out her leg really far to show her appreciation of the hawk's brave attempt to figure out the crow situation in the world. The eaglets were so happy probably as the crows were only bothering the hawk and never seemed to bother the eaglets at all. The hawk was the first to fledge out of the nest so he got the lessons that all first born children do.The videos are below. The hawk was fine and not hurt in any way and this was around a month ago anyway.


I am sorry I cannot give you an update on the little hawk as he now can fly all around the bay. He has not been seen I think for two days, but he looked very good on Friday when someone saw him.
No Updates:
I feel bad that I cannot give you the final story. I do not know how the hawk got himself into the nest, his birth is unknown to us all and now I cannot tell you the final story. I do not live at the nest or even near the nest. If he is in someone's back yard I will never know. I am so upset that I cannot tell you a final outcome for the little hawk other than what I know. He can get his own food now and can fly all around the bay. I probably will never see him again and only the residents of the bay will see him now.

I get many questions on the hawk, like "does he have food, where is he, what did he do today, have you seen him today". Unfortunately I cannot reply to these questions as I do not live nearby and will not be going out to look for him now. The residents need to have their quiet street back and I am exhausted so will be taking a rest.

I am on Facebook so you can find me there, link in contact on the top. You can see my Island Rambles Fan Page and also my own Facebook. I have started on Instagram also so you can find my photos there also.
Videos:








Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos. This post is for these wonderful bloggers:

Nature Notes Tuesday Thank you to Ramblingwoods
Our World Tuesday  Thank you to the Our World Team, Lady Fi
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you to Stewart
ABC Wednesday   Thank you to Melody at the letter "D" for those Darn Crows!

HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

19 comments:

  1. Great clear and sharp pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, awesome series of Spunky photos. The Eagles are cool too. The Game of Crows sounds like an interesting show. I think the hawks and eagles can handle the crows. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully the hawk is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nora, I followed you over hear from Our World Tuesday. What awesome series of photos and videos of baby hawk. Those crows are painful, aren't they. Thanks for sharing. I'm off to post my Wild Bird Wednesday photos now. Greetings Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post and photos and great job follow Little Hawk ~ Am sure he is doing well ~ thanks,

    My blog is now A Shutterbug Explores) aka A Creative Harbor and posting daily )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story. Maybe you should just have made up a happy ending for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Nora, I understand why you're upset...while the eagle was mothering the hawk, you were an attentive aunt who visited whenever possible. I'd even go so far as saying that you love Spunky as you would a treasured niece or nephew.
    Although I haven't commented often, I do follow your Spunky blog posts. I hope he will come back to visit some day.
    Hugs from here,
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS
    I forgot...you've been under the weather lately. I hope you are recovered and/or recovering.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get well, rest up and accept my thanks for the lovely story you told us! People need to realize that when wild birds fledge they hang around for a few days and then take off to make their own way in the world; that is Mother Nature's way -- and in my opinion, a lot of today's parents could take a lesson and let their kids grow up!! The same thing happens on the Eagle cam in Florida where we live in the winter.... Every year there are the same comments like you are getting ... people want the eaglets banded so they know where they go after they leave. NO!! People are lucky to watch the nest, but then they need to let them go!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved reading these observations. I think the hawk must be comfortable somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photo's again!!

    Have a wonderful ABC-wednesday / - week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/21-d

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the story of the hawk and those darn crows! Wonderful pix and video as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess you just have to assume the hawk is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have done such an amazing job capturing this story Nora....take a rest....hugs....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Turf wars, it seems


    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its not the size of the bird in the fight, its the size of the fight in the bird! Crows do seem to be brave (or crazy) beyond their means!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    PS: rest is good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have enjoyed going to each of your sites over many years, I think it is over ten years now. I will never forget how kind and supportive you have been to me. Thanks so much for these wonderful comments. I read each of them and I am very thankful to have you visit my site. I really am grateful to the bloggers who have stuck with me over many years now. I thank you for joining me on my journey into blogland and I will never forget the kind comments you have given to me

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS