Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Update: The Best of Little Hawk Eagle Nest




I thought I would just put a little quick post in with some of my favorite pictures of the little hawk in the eagles nest.



I will do a proper post with video when I get it processed.  This post is ALL ABOUT THE AMAZING HAWK STORY!!


I will update on what has been happening in the last few days.

Yesterday the hawk did a lot of flying and spends his time going around the neighborhood and he lands on roofs and peeks into sky light windows.  He is watching everything.  He looks at all the birds and plays with things.  He has favorite trees that he will land in.

He was pushed off the nest a few times by the larger eaglets when the food was dropped.  So he has developed a tricky way to get his food.  He has a back door that he can sneak up to the nest through branches.  He tries to get the food first but now the eaglets are onto him and they usually get it first.

In the early morning he tried two times to get to the food but the larger eaglet marches over to him quickly and used the tips of his wings to push him out of the nest.  Hawklet just will fly off when they push him.  He does not appear to get hurt. On his third try this am, he mantled over the food and the eaglets could not get it.  One eaglet did some pecking at his tail.


There was a bit of a food war and the hawklet was so brave and strong as he ended up with the food.  Another one of his tricks is to fly quickly in behind the parent with the food, as he is so fast he can then mantle over that bit of food.

I cannot believe the strength and courage this little hawk has as he is only around two pounds and the eaglets are around ten pounds.



After the food wars are over the eaglets seem to calm down and just sit there.  Sometimes they flap their wings to get the feel of the wind.  The hawk is not at risk at these times it seems but he spends less and less time in the nest with the large eaglets now.  When food is dropped it is a chaotic place for the little one to be.

Today I was out there for a long time and did not see him or hear him at first. There was food brought in. The eaglets were exercising and then they had a nap.  I went to the beach and found another photographer who had found the hawk on a rock wall.  He take great photos so I linked to him at the bottom of the page.



The parents were in their tree where they can see him and see the nest also.  A lone young eaglet from another nest did a fly over and both parents flew up and chased him out of their area.  Could have been a young one from last year of theirs.  The hawk did some peeping exercises and then he laid down inside the protection of the wall.  It was time to go home then. The tide had come in quickly and our boots got quite wet!





Please check out Hancock Wildlife Foundation
A great group of people and there is a forum there
for this nest.  I go on the forum sometimes as the people are
kind and nice there.
Please check out Sasse Photo at YouTube
He is a wonderful photographer and makes great videos.
He does live video from the nest.






I hope you like my blog and my photos.  Thanks so much for coming and looking at them.  cheers, Nora

Video Section Here:

















Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos. This post is for these wonderful bloggers:

MacroMonday 2 Thank you to Gemma Magical Mystical Teacher
Nature Notes Tuesday Thank you to Ramblingwoods
Our World Tuesday  Thank you to the Our World Team, Lady Fi
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you to Stewart
ABC Wednesday   Thanks to the new ABC Team Melody
My post is ALL ABOUT THE AMAZING HAWK!




HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!





27 comments:

  1. This is such a stunning story and you are incredibly lucky to be watching this unfold. I hope the hawk begins to find food for him/herself and can bravely leave the nest with its knowledge and strength to be successful in the world. S/he seems very smart and strong and has been given an amazing foundation from which to forge its own future. What a wild story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Robin. Yes the hawk has to be very strong to get any food now.

      Delete
  2. Amazing pictures. The hawk must be almost ready to go on his own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Ruth. It has been quite a story. He does fly around on his own now but cannot hunt.

      Delete
  3. What a story you've documented! Just amazing. I'm sure all will unfold as it should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn, it is going so well. I am amazed. But nature probably always will amaze me. Perhaps this happens a lot out in nature and we don't even know about it. I have many theories of how the hawk got into the nest, perhaps the eagles brought it there or perhaps the mother -the red-tailed hawk - herself grew up within an eagles nest. So she just laid her eggs there! Or maybe the eagle mother grew up with a nest that had a tiny red-tail in it and she wanted her own red-tailed hawk baby!

      Delete
  4. Hello, I just love these eaglets photos. Just amazing. Thanks for sharing, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, thanks so much for coming and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  5. I have long admired Hancock Wildlife, as I lived in nearby White Rock for many years. I didn't really get to know David Hancock, but my father, who wrote books (The Living Rivers of British Columbia) knew him fairly well. The whole family admired the work David Hancock was doing, long before the eagle cams, which we now love.
    Your photos of the eagles and the hawklet are wonderful. I hope the hawklet is able to hunt soon.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay, thanks for telling me about your father. I am sure my husband will know that book he wrote. He must have been a wonderful man. thanks so much for coming and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  6. This has been the most amazing story to follow Nora. I really appreciate the wonderful photography and your patience and willingness to go wading to get them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, I apologize that I am so far behind in my comments to you and others, I will never catch up! thanks so much for coming and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  7. ahhhh, loving the continuing saga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mac! Thanks for coming, I knew you would love this story! You could incorporate it into one of your books! thanks so much for coming and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  8. I wonder when he will figure out he does not belong there. Hopefully before they do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful pictures and a great story about the Little Hawklet. Good luck to him.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an amazing story. A lovely start to the ABC Wednesday

    Click Here to see what Mrs. Dash Says

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing photo's.... feel a little jealous ;-0

    Thank you for your first entry in the new home of ABC!

    Have a splendid and ♥-warming ABC-day / -week
    Melody (team abcw)
    http://melodymusic.nl/21-a/ Thank you for your first entry in the new home of ABC!

    Have a splendid and ♥-warming ABC-day / -week
    Melody (team abcw)
    http://melodymusic.nl/21-a/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful photo's you put between a lovely story.
    Thanks for your entry to ABC Wednesday.
    Have a nice day. Daphne, ABC team

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing photographs, love the action in the first one. I'm rooting for the the little hawk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are blessed to be photography and we are blessed that you are sharing this wonderful story of the little hawk ~ Wonderful post and photos and video ~ thanks so much in keeping us posted ~ I love the little hawk's courage ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! Now these are definitely awe worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've always wanted to see eagles in the wild, but I've never been that fortunate. I have seen babies up close at an avian research center in Oklahoma years ago. I'm really surprised that the little hawk is OK. I would think the parents wouldn't want him around. Great pictures and video.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for these lovely comments. I will come to each blog when I have time. There has been a lot going on on my Island Rambles Facebook Page and my blog is getting whammed with hits and my YouTube is crazy. I am a shy person and I thought no one would be interested in the topic of the hawk, I just like it for myself. It is overwhelming and I thank my blog friends for sticking with me through this unusual time period. I love your comments bloggers. Thanks to the new readers who have found me and seem to like the hawk story. It is still an ongoing story. I am still going to post my pictures, videos and blog posts on the hawk. I am taking a little break as my husband is ill. I do have many videos and photos that you have not seen yet. cheers, Nora

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope hubby is feeling better. I think many are enchanted by the hawk story and others who are longtime blog friends..... hugs... Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS