Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Grand Old Osprey Nest


The Grand Old Osprey Nest in ......



Sidney, B.C. not far from the various eagle nests also in Sidney, B.C. The eagles and their young have all flown away but the osprey families are still here.


Right now the osprey babies have learned to fly and it is fun to watch them fly and land.


They are the most vocal of all babies and still peep constantly for their meals. They seem to want to express all their desires in peeping all day long. There are many houses nearby and it must be very noisy for the residents. The ones I talked to seem to like them a lot.



The landing choices and procedures are not quite polished yet. This nest is a very happy reliable nest. It usually has two babies, I think it had four babies this year! I missed the whole season with the ospreys this year so I am not sure how many babies they had!



I am not sure how long this nest has been there, but as long as I can remember.  In the winter the ospreys fly to Mexico so we do not see them again until summer when they return. Sadly one of the nests I watch each year did not have any babies that survived this year.


Another nest has two babies but all the branches and nest material has been removed. I made a call and they told me that the birds cleared off the nest area completely themselves when the osprey young were fledging. They don't usually do that but I guess it was house cleaning day.





I am on Facebook so you can find me there, link in contact on the top. You can see my Island Rambles Fan Page and also my own Facebook. I have started on Instagram also so you can find my photos there also.
Videos here:






Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos. This post is for these wonderful bloggers:


Nature Notes Tuesday Thank you to Ramblingwoods
Our World Tuesday  Thank you to the Our World Team, Lady Fi
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you to Stewart
ABC Wednesday   Thank you to Melody we are at the letter "g" for Grand



HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

36 comments:

  1. Hi Nora. Beautiful story. I love that you are moving along to find other flying feathered friends for us to meet and learn about. What exactly are these ospreys nesting on? Are these man-made nesting spots set up for them? What a cool family <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emjay, most of the Osprey are on the platforms that are made for them as far as I know. Some choose the high poles for electrical or other high man made structures not really made for them but they like them. So glad you made a comment here, thanks so much.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Love the cool Osprey! They have a neat looking nest. Awesome photos! Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Eileen and for the patience of all the bloggers as I have not been able to see all their work lately. I now am getting back to blogging. I started a new baby Facebook page that wanted a lot of attention but seems to have matured and grown up now.

      Delete
  3. The Osprey is a beautiful bird and amazing to watch in flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ruth, and thanks for your continued support of my blog even though I was not able to get to all your sites this summer.

      Delete
  4. wonderful photos!! Gorgeous creatures!

    Have a ♥-warming ABC-Wednes-day / -week
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/21-g/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Melody.

      Delete
  5. "Grand Old Osprey" !! I love it!
    I've sure learned a lot from this post, Nora. I used to watch ospreys flying over the Thompson River when I lived in Ashcroft, BC. I wonder how the bird population has survived the horrible wildfires in my beloved home province. I feel so far away from the coast now, in southeastern Alberta, but I was 'home' for a visit last month, to the Vancouver area and to Kelowna. My plane couldn't land in Kamloops.
    Thanks for all the fascinating photos you show us of birds on The Island.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay, yes I also wonder how all the animals and birds survived the fires and still the fires are going on up there. I worry about the poor animals, birds and also the poor people who are homeless.

      Delete
  6. Looks like the birds are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment Michelle, I really appreciate the time it takes to make a comment.

      Delete
  7. "They are the most vocal of all babies and still peep constantly for their meals."

    I know a few babies like that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the parent birds of all species seem to have a similar situation that we do as parents. The Towhee is also very vocal and his baby talks all the time, especially at night he does not want to go to bed,

      Delete
  8. I can imagine the delight of observing the dynamics of their families. I wonder also why they need to remove all the materials from the nest, maybe they will use it elsewhere as 2nd-hand materials? That is how our sunbird in the garden behaves. When the position is felt safe they re-use the nest for next year, but if not because i am always there in the garden they remove the nest materials for use in another spot. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes perhaps they are moving their nest to a new location, I never thought of that. They may not like the place where the nest is anymore. It looks terrible to see the osprey young just on a platform area but no branches.

      Delete
  9. I don't see ospreys in town, now, but when the countryside was more available to me I loved to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hildred, hope you are going well. Thanks so much for your comment, I really appreciate the time it takes to make a comment.

      Delete
  10. today's theme seems to be the wings up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi zongrik, Thanks so much for your comment, I really appreciate the time it takes to make a comment.

      Delete
  11. Love that wingspan!

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roger, hope the new ABC goes well. Thanks so much for your comment, I really appreciate the time it takes to make a comment.

      Delete
  12. What fabulous shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Fi, Thanks so much for your comment, I really appreciate the time it takes to make a comment.

      Delete
  13. Amazing wings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment Joy, I really appreciate the time it takes to make a comment.

      Delete
  14. Wonderful that you are able and willing to follow these birds, take photos and video and to share it..I know how nature can take your mind off of health issues, but that it can be very tiring...Thank you for all you do...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same goes for you Michelle, I know you do a lot for nature on your blog. Thanks so much for your comment, I really appreciate the time it takes to make a comment.

      Delete
  15. Great photos -- actually amazing ones -- and the title of your post made me smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, so nice to see you. Yes perhaps the title was only for you and me, I wonder if anyone else got it. Thanks so much for your comment, I really appreciate the time it takes to make a comment.

      Delete
  16. You have some amazing photographs there. I would love to have something like that nearby. I can't even get birds to visit my little backyard birdbath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty, perhaps it is the wrong season and you will get more birds later in the year. Thanks so much for your comment, I really appreciate the time it takes to make a comment.

      Delete
  17. Splendid bird - we have some down on the bay, but they are hard to track down at present.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are feeling better Stewart and I enjoyed your trip photos. Thanks so much for your comment, I really appreciate the time it takes to make a comment.

      Delete
  18. Always fun to see them doing their nesting thing. In the winter here in Tucson, we have a few who stay and enjoy our warm weather:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, I really appreciate the time it takes to make a comment. Yes you have it warmer there than we do here Chris.

      Delete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS