Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

The Day I met Princess Diana My Story



I don't usually do this but it is twenty years since we lost Princess Diana and I wanted to tell my story.....

I wanted to tell the story of the day we met Diana. Above on top that is the Official Welcome booklet for Their Royal Highnesses that I carried in my hands on that day.

I have decided not to use any of the pictures of this event in respect for the photographer who took them, I can't even locate him now.
He probably copyrighted his photos so I just have them in the house. Ron did not get any photos that day.

There are many photos online that show the entire visit of the Royal couple here in British Columbia, here is one google collection of images of that visit. We are in some of the photos but you can only see parts of us.


To see the photos that are available on line from other collectors of Diana and Charles visit to Victoria in 1986 I have a Pinterest page of them here.  This is a page of Diana photos on Pinterest of their visit to Canada. Another Pinterest site of Diana photos and more photos of 1986 with Diana.

(this is the flag I waved)
There I have eliminated the need to do images.  And now I will eliminate the text, since I am very lazy writer and really do not care for the text, I have just copied the story I wrote in my diary thirty-one years ago on the day we met Diana and Charles.


It is a very short excerpt from a much longer story about another royal meeting.  Remember it is written by a much younger girl, me, almost thirty-one years ago now.


If I were to write it again from my perspective of a much older woman and mother of a son, knowing the events that happened over the thirty years, I probably would write a different story... I know I would write a totally different story now, and may do so later. This is my scrapbook below.
I am going to try and copy paste this story from my diary into my blog.  So it is typed on an old typewriter and has some sketches that I used to doodle on my diary pages. (that did not work so I just copy pasted text here from my diary and the pdf changed all the "l"s to "r"s). That is my little diary below.

Here is the story now below from my diary then:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Little Dreams written In June, 1986

"They've got you all rugged-up Ma'am." those were the first words P.C. spoke to us. He had come quickly around the corner and proceeded directly over to our group. He spoke to my mother as she was all wrapped up. As he shook my mother's hand she stared speechlessly at him. "Are those flowers for me?" he said to my six year old son, with a twinkle in his eyes.

My son looked blankly at him and gave him the small, wilted bouquet which we had sat on in the car on the way there. "No! No! No!" I said. I had finally got my wits about me and stopped staring at him. "Those flowers are for her". I pointed to her and quickly snatched the flowers back from him, as he didn't seem so important anymore now that "she" was approaching. He laughed and with a mischievous grin said "Well you will be lucky if she comes over here".

We were lucky and she did come over to us and shake hands and chat with us. Of course, P.C. stands for Prince Charles and "she" is Princess Diana. The occasion was their visit to Victoria on April 30, 1986.

To me this is a funny little story and I will always fondly remember that day. The day my first little dream came true.
When I was a child I had a dream. All children have a dream. I was going to marry Prince Charles of England. I really believed I was. But as time went on, I decided to modify my dream I would settle for just meeting him and talking to him. And I did.


It started out as a cold, foggy Wednesday. Ron, my husband, required a lot of encouragement to drive us down to the Legislative Buildings. He wanted to stay home. His dream in
life is to catch a big fish not see royalty.


As I was getting into the car I grabbed some spindly daffodils and assorted weeds from our yard. It was too early in the spring for many flowers to be out.


On the way to the Legislative Buildings we decided to "kidnap" grandmother from the hospital and take her with us. (Grandmother is actually my mother that is another long story). At the hospital the nurses said "No- she cannot go. Not at all." "Well I said she is having tea with Chuck and Di today and that is that'!! and off we went.

 At the lawns of the Legislative buildings it was a mad scene. All the crowds milling about. There was no place where grandmother could see as she was in a wheelchair. Finally I found a spot to park her.

My husband took off as he wanted to find a really good spot to take pictures with the camera. We only had one little camera.When he left is when Charles came around the corner and made a bee-line for us. My husband never got to see them or take any pictures!


It was a day to remember I will never forget both Charles and Diana's gentleness and kindness. When we gave Diana the flowers she knelt down and talked to both my son and my mother. She was shivering and I asked her if she was cold "Yes" she said. She seemed shy but composed. I knew when she saw my son's tow-head she thought of her son, Prince William. It was one of the first times she had left him at home.

Diana is more beautiful close up than she is on any of the magazine covers. She is the most photographed woman in the world today. She has lovely skin. Charles is not as tall as I thought he would be, but he still was very handsome and his ears do not stick out at all.


Their job is meeting people and representing their country and they do it well. They are experts at creating that tie that binds us all together. Love of our countries......the story continues but that is all for now. 
(excerpt from a longer story written in 1986)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still miss Diana and think of her often. She became such a strong woman and overcame so much. The media made her one thing but she was much more than that.
I thought she was going to change the world we lived in, and she did in many ways. I would have loved to have seen her continue her work, she would have continued to change the world and humanity and how we think about ourselves and others.
We were interviewed for the TV and newspapers and many pictures were taken but not by Ron! I went back in the photo album and found these daffodils from old photos that are the same patch that I picked her bouquet from.
Video of her visit to Victoria, B.C. in 1986

I am on Facebook so you can find me there, link in contact on the top. You can see my Island Rambles Fan Page  where I post every day and also my own Facebook. I have started on Instagram also so you can find my photos there also. I post on my YouTube Channel every day

Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos. This post is for these wonderful bloggers: sorry I forgot to put in many birds and nature today!
The Bird D'Pot  Sunday Thank you Hootin' Anni

Nature Notes Tuesday Thank you to Ramblingwoods
Our World Tuesday  Thank you to the Our World Team, Lady Fi
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you to Stewart

ABC Wednesday   Thank you to Melody the letter "h" for Her Royal Highness, Princess Diana but they took away her title.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

33 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story of Princess Diana. Beautiful Goldfinches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Judy, this was a difficult decision to do this or not do it!

      Delete
    2. It was difficult because I could not use the actual photos as they are copyrighted and I could not find the photographer anymore.

      Delete
  2. That is very special indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, thanks so much, I enjoy your blog so much.

      Delete
  3. What lovely memories of your meeting with Prince Charles and Princess Diana! I was married 2 weeks before their fabulous wedding, and of course, I was smitten with all things Royal from that time on. Thank you for sharing this special memory with us all. Beautiful photographs, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia, yes I agree we were all younger and going through our lives with weddings and children and she became a really big part of our lives for the time she was given. I think she did really well, all her charities and simple things like shaking hands with A.I.D.s patients at that time. And she talked about depression and mental illness when no one else would. She was far ahead of the time that she was living in. A time traveler. Too bad the media hunted her like an animal.

      Delete
  4. HI Nora. Thanks so so much for sharing your story with us. Such a cute little story of meeting the Prince and Princess. I love your writing.. its' almost like I can envision what is happening in real life. Thanks for sharing this special memory. I often wonder too how she could have changed the world, for the better, had she lived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she was wonderful at showing people how a caring person could be a real human. When I met her she was still so young. She just had been on the plane for ten hours and then taken right downtown to do the walkabout and listen to hours of speaking. She was so frail, really tall but really thin. She could really engage with each person and knew exactly what to say and was very very funny in what she did say.

      Delete

  5. :D

    Loved this.

    I laughed when you said you told Charles the flowers were for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I wrote some notes on this as the memory is going and I would not have remembered it all.

      Delete
  6. Oh, Nora, what a wonderful, wonderful story. I'm so happy that you, your mother, and your son met Princess Diana and Prince Charles. If I weren't so happy for you, I might be jealous. As it is, when I think of Prince Charles, I think of him as a child, and of Princess Anne as a baby, because "the Queen's Anne looks like our Ann" was the way my brother and I saw it.
    Princess Diana was a lovely, kind and wonderful young woman, wasn't she? I'll never forget the horror I felt and the tears I shed when she died. It was late in France, but early in British Columbia, of course. I agree, she would have continued her work and would probably have accomplished miracles in child welfare if she had lived. A great loss to the world.
    I am going to re-read your post (lovely flower photos) again later. Perhaps I'll think more about the person she was than the person she might have become.
    Hugs from here,
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kay I think you and I felt the same when she died. I will never forget it. It still makes me mad that she had no security and she did not have her seat belt on. If she had still had her same Royal security they would have at least made her put on the seat belt. The whole thing was just terrible.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely story! Such a shame her life was cut short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I try to remember all the good she did in such a short time while she was dealing with a failed marriage and two boys to raise and a family that did not understand her.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing this awesome story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I am not sure that the world needs anymore stories on Diana, I probably just needed to tell mine!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing your story. I think we all felt we knew her. I regret not making more of an effort to go and see her when she was performing various Royal duties around London but my children are the same age as her children and I didn't have the the time or energy! So good to hear someone else's story today, 20 years on from her untimely and unnecessary death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fun, yes I know what you mean, I have no idea how I managed to get myself and my mother and son there for this event and to meet her, it is a wonder I had any energy to do that! I have been ill my whole life and it is a wonder I managed to do anything at all! ;-)

      Delete
  10. What an impressive meeting you had and totally understanble that you remember it with so much love. She was a very special lady indeed in my humble opinion, far to much pain and sorry she got. Her death schocked the world... nowaday the tv sends on documantary after the other. I don't watch it though.

    Please have a ♥-warming ABC-day / -week
    ♪ M e l ☺ d y ♪ (abc-w-team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/21-h/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, lovely story and memories. Thank you for sharing! Your flowers are gorgeous. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I think you are amazing at all you do Eileen, I can never keep up with all the comments and Facebook. Also I am having difficulty being a more public person than I used to be, as I am reclusive. So sharing my diary without the photos was a challenge.

      Delete
  12. That was an interesting share.
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Roger thanks so much, I enjoy your posts so much.

      Delete
  13. Great post Nora! What a great experience for your family.
    She really was one of a kind, and really seemed to care.
    I also loved your pretty flower photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, thanks so much for coming. My Blog community is the best thing in the world for me. I really enjoy your photos on your blog Pat.

      Delete
  14. I went and looked at all the photos and all the videos. I loved her. I remember watching the wedding and thinking of lucky she was to be marrying her Prince and then how wrong it all went. I feel so sad that she could not see the wonderful men her sons became and how she changed the royal family forever. I remember the night she died as I was awake and I could not believe it, it was not possible. If only... if only.... Thank you for sharing this memory. And Nora, thank you for telling me that you enjoy butterflies. If my blog inspired you to look for them and learn about them, then it makes my teacher's heart happy.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I guess I still am trying to process her death. I have to reflect on her life more than her death. The media will focus on her death when they should focus on what she did in her short life. I get really depressed around the time of her death each year.

      Delete
  15. What a great experience. She was gone way too soon, but she left behind a couple of wonderful sons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is true Betty, her life and her death really had such a great influence on those two boys. There never will be another person like her.

      Delete
  16. A very sweet memory, thank you very much for sharing. You gave me a different view of Prince Charles, a very kind heart he has. I love that you didn't want to give him the flowers and he didn't think it rude at all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much I appreciate your comment so much.

      Delete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS