Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Is This Spunky Hawk or Not?




Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk Day: So yesterday we are out on our usual drive looking for hawks, birds and butterflies in Sidney areas.



All of a sudden Ron calls out "look at that, what is that on the post up there?" So I think to myself that looks like a juvenile Red-tailed hawk and I am ready to jump right out of the truck with the camera really fast. I get really really excited!

In the back of my mind I thought it could possibly be the Spunky Hawk from the Sidney nest that grew up with the eagles! Perhaps we have finally found him!

I jumped out of the truck, trusty camera in hand, and proceeded to see how close I could get to this one. It was backlit at first so I could not see it well. I had to figure out how to get to the other side of it for the camera to work with that light but there was a huge ditch on one side I could not go in there. So I had to do some analyzing of the situation. If I go right in front of him he will fly, and there is the ditch and then there is the farm field that I can't get on.

The little hawk was very co-operative it turned out. He liked cars, people on bikes and tractors very much!  So in the end I was able to get to the other side of him for the light. He was very tame. He liked me very much also! He allowed me to spend a lot of time with him up close. I will never know if it was the Spunky hawk of Sidney or not.

We were about five miles as a hawk can fly from the nest in Sidney. But I know of two other mature Red-tailed hawks that possibly have nests right in that area. So this hawk is probably one of their babies. Upon looking at the photos at home this hawk has a darker head and the brown colors on the feather tips are different from the Spunky Sidney hawk but it has been six or seven weeks since I have seen the young Sidney hawk.  Perhaps he changed. This hawk has tear drop feather tips and Spunky had heart shaped brown feather tips and Spunky was more white.

In any case it was a joyful event for me to find a new friendly juvenile hawk!  We stayed a long time and then left for two hours to look at other stuff and when we drove back he was still there. So out I went again! This time he let me get so close that I just talked to him and told him about Spunky the hawk! Then he casually flew down beside me and picked up a mouse in the grasses and ate it!  I am not joking. I will put video number one in now and the other videos will go in later when I have time to do all the processing.

I told Ron that I had talked to the new hawk and told the new hawk all about Spunky and how much I loved him and Ron said "Oh no don't tell me that stuff!!!"  Hah Hah!!! I am so goofy.

Many hawks are migratory and new hawks are moving in and out of the areas now so hopefully I will be seeing a lot more hawks. Let me know what you think, is this hawk the Spunky hawk of Sidney or Not??
Video:




I am on Facebook so you can find me there, link in contact on the top. You can see my Island Rambles Fan Page where I post every day and also my own Facebook. I have started on Instagram also so you can find my photos there also. I post a video every day on my Island Rambles YouTube Channel also.

Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos. This post is for these wonderful bloggers:


Nature Notes Tuesday Thank you to Ramblingwoods
Our World Tuesday  Thank you to the Our World Team, Lady Fi
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you to Stewart
ABC Wednesday   Thank you to Melody at the letter "J" for Juvenile Red-tailed hawk


HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

15 comments:

  1. Amazing creations those creatures aren't they

    Have a splendid, ♥-warming ABC-Wednes-day / - week!
    ♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (abc-w-team)
    http://melodymusic.nl/21-j

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what they think about, up there above the world like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handsome creatures

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love baby hawks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome photos, video and text! Great hawk, is it Spunky or not...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome photography of the Juvenile Hawk ~ and great post for J ~ thanks, ^_^

    (A ShutterBug Explores)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful friendly creature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think you are goofy at all Nora... love the hawk photos... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful hawk looks very much like our Spunky. Love your pictures, video and story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful hawk. Looks very much like our Spunky. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to think this is Spunky and he remembers you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe you could exchange thoughts and photos with Christian Sasse, who did a lot of Spunky-filming. I'm sure half of the western world (or at least half of western Canada) would sure like to know about him again, Nora. Good luck!
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travels

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe it was him, and that's why he didn't mind you getting close. Either way, he's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He is beautiful and he knew you were a friend -- that much is for sure!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS