Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Sunday, October 04, 2009

CYA National Regatta for My World


















This post is for My World where you can see interesting pictures from all around the globe.
Click here to see more of the That's My World posts.


The 2009 CYA National Qualifying Regatta for Laser/Laser Radial and 470 classes and 2010 World Youth Team Qualifier was hosted at the Yacht Club over the last four days. They finally got some good wind and excellent fast racing. These are some of the best sailors in the world and they really can put on an amazing show of power over the wind in the little bay. It was exciting and exhilarating to watch as each race was unpredictable with tide, wind and currents changing rapidly. Not being a sailor myself, (can't you tell), I watched carefully from the rocky shoreline, keeping camera and lens nice and dry, and I imagined what it would be like to be one of them and was fascinated.. It was like looking into a window of an unknown and mysterious world....the world of national championship sailing. My camera snapped away and took a lot of photos of it as I sat at the ocean's edge amongst the shorebirds and kelp, bracing against the strong winds. One of the most enjoyable sports I can think of; it is full of shiny boats, pounding waves and whitecaps on a rippled ocean, sails whipping in the wind, and boats quickly turning over, masts breaking and lots of fast action on an icy blue sea. Great fun!

(photos are of some of the winners but everyone who participated at this level is a winner, I have photos available to give to the racers again if they contact me) Cheers to all the My World group of bloggers and have a great day.

43 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots, I especially like the second one with the boats lined up and the mountain behind. Had I been raised near the water I think I would have learned to sail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so like that second shot with the snow covered mountains in the background and the sailboats...nice capture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful photos. The water is so blue! It is fun to watch the sailing and imagine the wind in the hair (imagining is as close as I'd get!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shots - and such a beautiful mountain backdrop!
    Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun time at the waterfront.

    www.ewok1993.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great watery race pictures. Can't pick a winner (sorry - couldn't help myself...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what fun! Love the boats and your photos are fantastic! Really capture the feeling!

    Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous shots.The mountains in the background are a perfect setting.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful!!! White sails and all the blue - lovely shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice photos of the sailboats, it looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful backdrop the mountains make for all those white sails! Everything sparkles with speed and energy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Again, your photos are wonderfully colorful! I enjoy your pictures very much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It must be so exciting to watch with such a beautiful day and such beautiful backdrop. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes, I pick that 2nd picture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. those are really nice captures but i love the 2nd one the most:) they look like toys.

    ReplyDelete
  17. brilliant blue images!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I R: What a wonderful show, really enjoyed the photos and the backdrop. That was a great place to capture the race.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can smell that wonderfully blue fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you'd have to be brace to try it - I think I'd prefer to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The white sails are so beautiful against the blue of the water and sky. I can almost feel the action of the boats gliding through the water.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful captures of the boats, the sea, the sky, and especially the mountains! Great view.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much for the comments...each one is appreciated so much...I try to read as many of your blogs as I possibly can. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous and beautiful captures! I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How exciting this event must have been and after looking at your pictures and reading your post, I feel like I enjoyed it, too. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lucky you being on the right place at the right time for those magnificent shots.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Ocean, such stunning scenery in this images. Thanks for posting them.

    ReplyDelete
  28. beautiful takes! it must have been quite a day for you

    ReplyDelete
  29. beautiful pictures! They look like they should be hanging on a wall in a lake house!

    ReplyDelete
  30. what a beautiful part of the country you live in.

    Gill in Southern Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just stopping by to wish you a merry Christmas. Hope you are well, Ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful shots of the sails, water and sky!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love these shots - so many different shades of blue. They are gorgeous and it's so nice to see beautiful warm weather when we are stuck in the middle of a deep freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  34. All great photographs, what a wonderful day that must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awesome shot - glorious combinations of light & darker shades of blue.The white sails stand out very conspiciously.

    ReplyDelete
  36. wow..
    nice pictures..
    really its cool landscapes...
    thanks for sharing...

    from savandurga

    ReplyDelete
  37. What an awesome and busy blog! I've certainly enjoyed my visit and your gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous11:48 pm

    Nice Post. This record helped me in my school assignment. Thanks Alot

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous4:15 am

    Great Post! Thanks for giving detailed description about blog.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous7:51 am

    Great Post! Thanks for giving detailed description about blog.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful photos, and wonderful blog you have going here - we love seeing people boast and gloat over the beauty that is Vancouver Island! Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. WoW! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS