Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Boats and Big Wind

I am late but I am here for ABC Wednesday and the magic letter today is "B" for Boats and Big Wind storm. Check out all the other Bs on the popular ABC site.  They are doing something new over there ...interviews!!
These boats are from the B dock at Sooke harbour where we were two weeks ago.  I love the texture, colors, smells, sounds and everything about being on a dock.  It is the most exciting place to be as you never know what will happen next.  Someone is always working on their boat or bringing in a load of prawns or fish or crab.
The gulls will be screaming, the waves lapping, boats coming and going from interesting adventures. I think I must have salt water in my blood. I love to see what creatures come from the ocean and what live upon it. There are so many shore birds, eagles, cormorants, and ducks to feast one's eyes  upon.

It was a warm sunny day in Sooke and people were scurrying about the dock doing repairs to their boats and someone was playing music as they mended their gear.  There were two swans completely asleep on a nearby dock.  Heads tucked under wings and oblivious to us.


Then came the bad weather and we had a Big Wind storm all along the coast.  I think it was one of the worst wind storms we have had. The gusts were around 110Km/h. 

There were about 26,000 people without power on the island as it hit the whole island and not just part of it.
The ferries to the mainland were cancelled and many people could not travel to Vancouver.
I tried to walk along the walk way here but really don't like getting salt water on the camera. 
Our fence blew down and we had power but had to give power to our neighbour. Soon the power came back on and all was in order again until the next big wind.

13 comments:

  1. Loved this post - we live very near to many fishing towns and this brought home to me the prills the fishermen have to encounter. All of us must eat fish - yet how many of us understand the journey?

    Thanks so much
    Denise ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nifty shots
    BUT you are not late for ABCW - you're right on time!

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW the ABC team came to my blog! thanks Denise and Roger!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome pics. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great post and awesome shots!
    Thanks for stopping by my page.
    You might enjoy my photo page
    http://suzi-doodles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Island Rambles, your photos are really wonderful. The colors are so vibrant. I love being anywhere near the sea. We don't have these beautiful fishing boats here where I live so I love seeing your photos. I also love your descriptions as you walk along the B dock. BTW, really like the name Blue Bayou. Sorry to hear about the bad weather and power outage that came later. Glad to hear that things are back to normal at least for now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure was quite the storm. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you got a photo of the sign denoting "B" dock, and a Boat named Blue Bayou!

    Did you get a photo of the swans? I'd love to see it!

    (P.S. As a vegan who has long chosen not to eat sea critters, I must Beg to differ with Mrs. Nesbitt!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. I meant to add that I love your blog header photo too! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful shots, love your photos!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful shots, lots of color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for documenting the windstorm! Wow! Those waves are really big! I left Anacortes right before that storm hit Washington. I love the boat scenes in the harbor and I, too, always marvel at all the sounds one can hear when walking around the docks. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for commenting...I had fun reading all these notes!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS