Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog, poetry and short story blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Happy Chinese New Year

This year is the year of the Water  Dragon.  It is the Chinese year 4710 and started on January 23, 2012.  We had our parade on Sunday here in Victoria, B.C. Canada.  The parade goes through our China Town streets.  The smoke effect in the background is from the fireworks.  I know it looks like a lot of the shots are out of focus but it really is just smoke. This blog is for Our World Tuesday and also for Ruby Tuesday2.  Check out the links as you will find more photos of our world blogging community.
The parade had lots of Lion and Dragon dancers.
This year of the Dragon is supposed to be a very powerful year and also a year of good luck.
People celebrate with fireworks and feasting.
The Lunar New Year is the time of the biggest family reunions.
In ancient times the dragon was a symbol reserved for the Chinese emperor.

The New Year festivities continue for fifteen days.
In Chinese culture the dragon is a positive symbol standing for power, strength and good luck.
The year of the water dragon only occurs every 60 years.  You can see more of the smoke from the fire crackers that they throw on the street. 
In the Chinese zodiac the dragon is the fifth sign and the only one which is a mythical creature.

There are lots of preparations for the New Years celebrations,  the house has to be cleaned before the start or all your luck goes out the door. 


This was the most difficult shooting I ever have done as there was such a large crowd and I could not get to the front of the line as I am not the most pushy person.  Someone was always putting an arm or hand in front of me or holding up a camera in front of mine.

Doors and windows can be painted red as red keeps evil away.  I found the best shots were at the end of the parade when the crowd wandered off and I was the only crazy paparazzi chasing them.

The dragon will suppress  wrong doers it is believed.
You can see a really old brick building in the background here.
In our local parade we had both the white dragon and the black one.  There were many children participating and it must have been so exciting for them.
As they passed this art store I loved the colors in the background.

I hope you enjoyed the parade, our weather here on Vancouver Island has been very dark and gloomy so I had to recycle some of my past photos for this blog as we had heavy rain showers on the day of the parade.

21 comments:

  1. Those are superb photos! Looks like a really exciting parade! We went to a very small dragon dance exhibit, but your parade looks amazing. Happy Chinese New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see here a black dragon and a white dragon and a green dragon and a sort of grey dragon.

    Are they just dragons or do they mean something specific. Sorry. I dont know very much about dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got great shots and it looks like a lot of fun.
    I've never been to a Chinese New Year parade, we don't care much for crowds and so we miss out on some great events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for coming to see me Tammy, Jim, Garry and Martha.
    Garry I know there seemed to be a lot of dragons at the parade. I don't know much about what the dragon means other than it means this year will be very lucky. The dragon is a positive symbol of a mythical creature in the Chinese lunar calendar. It is a great year to marry or to be born in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun, colorful, delightful post for the day! Delightful captures! I'm not much of a crowd person either so I miss some great events like Martha, but your photos are the next best thing to being there! Have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. The celebration looks fun! I love all the photos!

    The Real Thing Diner

    ReplyDelete
  7. all lovely shots to capture the ambiance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots of the black and white dragons. Yes he year of the water-dragon is particularly lucky since the water-dragon does not have the luck plus deceit of the ordinary year of the dragon.
    You did very well shooting in a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very colourful parade. looks very festive and perfect for CNY. thanks for sharing your world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun I would love to see th Chinese New year celebrations and parades. It is so pretty and colorful. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you caught some wonderful images!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking for the "Good Luck"- hope we can have all that:)

    Visiting for RT 2! Hope you can stop by:)

    http://www.cassandrasminicorner.com/2012/01/salt-soaking-solution.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. How beautiful!

    My Ruby Tuesday is the Lego Builder, hope you'd come and see. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful photos! It's good to hear that it will be a powerful year filled with good luck! Happy Ruby Tuesday!
    http://hhcampbell.blogspot.com/2012/01/winter-berries.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos are amazing. Timmy is a beauty!
    And I adore the Chinese New Year photos!
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The dragons are gorgeous, and so is Victoria, of course.
    I always think of Chinatown in Vancouver and it never occurred to me Victoria would have one, too. (You know those people from Vancouver, never think of anywhere else. LOL)
    I enjoyed your photos very much. I really miss BC, and of course The Island is one of the most beautiful parts of Canada's most beautiful province.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wait a minute, the guy in the second pic is not by any means Chinese,lol!
    Chinese like bright colors, and red is one of their favorites:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These photos are so colourful! This must have been a fascinating street parade! And so love the concept of the Year of the Water Dragon! It sounds so beautiful! Perhaps I ambiased because I live near water!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year ! Your photos are fantastic ! I felt as if I was there !

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks so much for all these wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS